Been trying to find this for ages: Armenian Steak - a keeper

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
There used to be about a 12-table restaurant out in the boon-toolies along the S. Fork of the Payette River in Idaho -- DANSKIN STATION. Professionally trained chef living practically in "Po-Dunk" at Garden Valley, but the most wonderful food; well worth the hour+ drive to get there a few times a year. One of their best sellers and my fave was a boneless rib-eye steak, "Armenian Steak." It came hot off the grill with Feta crumbles added on top. Danskin Station closed in 2005, with the wife/chef relocating to the East Coast and the cabinet-maker husband remaining at Garden Valley (just found this out recently). When we re-modeled our kitchen years ago, my recipe box disappeared, as did THAT recipe that the chef shared. I tracked down the husband a couple weeks ago and visited with him on the phone. Until our conversation, I had forgotten the name of that dish although I remembered most of the ingredients, but then deja-vu kicked in for the name, and he agreed I was pretty darn close on my ingredients recollection but he didn't know where the notebook of the handwritten recipes was. Did a little more searching on the internet, and came up with this one, and with a few tweaks (tweaks included) it's going to work. Best with a good boneless cut: rib-eye or New York, but it won't hurt any lesser cut. If you don't like Feta, forget the Feta. This marinade recipe is actually enough to do a couple 1/2 pt. jars, so save one or share one. Figuring this for 2 - 4 steaks:

Pick your steaks, 2 or more. (You can also try w/ lamb or chicken)

MARINADE:
1/3 c. olive oil
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. tomato juice or original V-8
1/4 c. lemon juice
2 TBs snipped parsley
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried marjoram, crushed
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced

+ Feta crumbles, if you want them.

Combine all marinade ingredients in a zip lock bag (or big jar or bowl, and then divide into z-lock); place beef (or lamb or chicken) into the bag, press out the air and seal. Refrigerate 4-6 hours or overnight, turning bag occasionally. (I usually put thawed steaks in the bag in the morning before work; cook 'em after work).

Let the marinated steaks rest 1/2 hour or or so before grilling to room temp (and dry them off), then grill or broil them the way you like 'em done. Sprinkle Feta crumbles when the steaks are hot off the grill. Serve with a green salad and baked spuds, or whatever trips your trigger.

Danskin Station also did some great salad dressings, one of which was an Italian/Blu Cheese. Was pretty easy to get close to theirs by using a dry Italian mix via the recipe on the package, and just add some Blu Cheese crumbles.

If you try it, LMK what you think.

Latest posts