Been blessed with new calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
God blessed us with a new Akaushi calf just before dark last night.
We watched her have it and keep our distance cuz she's a little protective. We never interfere unless something turns ugly.
Didn't get close enough to tell if it was a little bull but I did grab a little bit of video this morning of it running across the pasture.

What do you think ? Bull ?

This could be a big deal for us.
Straw was expensive.
His sire is kinda lendgendary. 🤠

I watched video a few times. I am convinced it is a nice little heifer calf. congratulations.

Is the tissue sample for DNA?
What DNA testing do you need to do?
Somebody with better eyes than me need to give you an opinion on the sex.
So you would rather have a bull?
I breed every cow for a heifer calf.
Yes the DNA is for parentage verification, registration, and also we run the fat profile (AA is the best fat ) and tenderness score. Neither one had any genetic defects so we don't check for those.

We also usually only want heifers.
We normally do not raise bulls as everything is AI on our ranch ..no balls allowed. We usually will steer them and feed out for 20-24 months.

This sire is special. His daddy was the Akaushi grand champion in 1976 in Japan.

He has absolutely great numbers and when combined with our cow we end up in the top 10% or better in categories that are very important to me such as WW, YW, total maternal and milk.

For Wagyu, they both also have size, she is approximately 1,500 lbs he is approximately 2,200. Also his REA is great !

So if it is a bull, after he is weened he will be shipped off to South Georgia to my buddy Tom's ranch that has 1100 acres and has a bunch of Japanese Black cattle that he wants Akaushi influence.

We believe that it's an excellent cross between the Japanese black and the Akaushi. Even though they are both Wagyu, they are different breeds.
(A lot of people think that Wagyu is a breed) so the hybrid vigor should result in filling in some of the gaps on the Japanese black.

The Japanese black usually are poor mothers and don't milk well but are very good at marbling and tenderness.

Yes the DNA is for parentage verification, registration, and also we run the fat profile (AA is the best fat ) and tenderness score. Neither one had any genetic defects so we don't check for those.

We also usually only want heifers.
We normally do not raise bulls as everything is AI on our ranch ..no balls allowed. We usually will steer them and feed out for 20-24 months.

This sire is special. His daddy was the Akaushi grand champion in 1976 in Japan.

He has absolutely great numbers and when combined with our cow we end up in the top 10% or better in categories that are very important to me such as WW, YW, total maternal and milk.

For Wagyu, they both also have size, she is approximately 1,500 lbs he is approximately 2,200. Also his REA is great !

So if it is a bull, after he is weened he will be shipped off to South Georgia to my buddy Tom's ranch that has 1100 acres and has a bunch of Japanese Black cattle that he wants Akaushi influence.

We believe that it's an excellent cross between the Japanese black and the Akaushi. Even though they are both Wagyu, they are different breeds.
(A lot of people think that Wagyu is a breed) so the hybrid vigor should result in filling in some of the gaps on the Japanese black.

The Japanese black usually are poor mothers and don't milk well but are very good at marbling and tenderness.
Interesting! Always learn something on here.

I would love to calve out cows that I can't get close to. LOL - being a smart azz.,
I see you were outside the field and the close up cows were fine with you looking.
When you can ID the calf, let us know what you got blessed with.

Good looking bull for a wagyu type. They're usually awful on the eyes for me. 😂

I'm gonna say that it's a heifer. Hopefully i'm wrong.

Is there a correlation to being a poor milker/mother and scoring high in tenderness?

Good looking bull for a wagyu type. They're usually awful on the eyes for me. 😂

I'm gonna say that it's a heifer. Hopefully i'm wrong.

Is there a correlation to being a poor milker/mother and scoring high in tenderness?
I'm not sure about that.
I know with a lot of the traits you make one better and one gets worse but as far as tenderness vs being a good milker ...good question

I had the red BULL in my hands and as momma was charging me I went to lift him and I fell face first...he is very big and heavy!
Got to be 100 lbs already. 4 days old.
I bet he's Going to Be a beast.
Daddy is around 2200.
He was really gentle letting me pet him...then mom ruined the party.
I had to bail out....try again to get sample tomorrow.
We are really excited about this one.

Yes, I understood he is special. I was referring to potential calving difficulties.
If you have been breeding to him for years, you must have a nice collection of daughters.
Do you have any pictures of them?

We only had 1 Akaushi cow that I was comfortable with putting him in.
His BW is big ....but I break the rules and feed our girls a little grain everyday. (Yes I know)

I want a BS of 6 when they calve. I push the limit by still giving some grain during 3rd trimester.

We drop some big calves for Wagyu 65-68.. we used to have 53-55 lb calf.

I always got a lot of crap for feeding my pregnant girls grain everyday and almost wondered if I should change....them I met Dr. Francis Fluharty head of Animal and Dairy at University of Georgia ( go Dawgs ) and we have had many discussions about nutrition and cattle.

According to Dr. Francis, Corn is holy grail when used properly. We are proving that everyday.

Latest posts