Been a rough 2 weeks

Help Support CattleToday:

jedstivers

Reaction score
On the 23rd of march our dog was run over by the UPS truck in our driveway ( we live 3 miles off the highway and 1/4 mile off the gravel). We have had him 6 1/2 years and he went everywhere with me. I thought that was bad enough but 2 days later I had to take my Daddy to the hospital and while he was in their on the 28th he had another stroke and lost his speech and right side movement. We got him in rehab yesterday so I am back at home at now & will only go up during the day and not stay 24 hours (& not as much in the day as they don't want us their while they work on him) Anyway while I was staying in the hospital I could only check in on this site with my phone but that sure made the day and night go better. Don't know why I'm posting this but just wanted to let y'all know I'm still around just been lurking more.

I am very sorry to hear about your father I hope he has a full and speedy recovery..

Sorry about your dog as well,,that is a lot to be given all at once..May you be given the strength and guidance to help you through your difficult time..

Jed, i know all about losing your little dog. I had to have my dog (Sweetpea) put to sleep on Feb. 23 , i had her for 15 years, i think about her every day .
I hope your Dad gets better fast, Prayers are going up for you and your Dad.

I complained to drivers about going fast- but their concern was turning a buck as fast as they could.

So I sent UPS a registered letter- explaining that our private road had kids and dogs(very expensive dogs) on it that were not looking for speeding vehicles. And that this letter was proof that I had explained to both the driver and the company the dangers to me and mine of speeding on our private road. I also put up a caution sign that I sent a picture of with the letter.I ended with......... Should anything bad happen because of speeding on our private road-------- expect to be sued.

It worked ,the guys who deliver now are very courteous, respectful and SLOW.

So sorry about your Dad- I have seen some miraculous recoveries from Strokes I hope your Dad is one of them.

jedstivers":3v4amye9 said:
I thought that was bad enough but 2 days later I had to take my Daddy to the hospital and while he was in their on the 28th he had another stroke and lost his speech and right side movement. We got him in rehab yesterday so I am back at home at now & will only go up during the day and not stay 24 hours (& not as much in the day as they don't want us their while they work on him)

jed, I know about the ordeal of a parent being a stroke victim. The physical therapy is very important. Their not wanting anyone around while they work with them is for good reason. But I suggest you make a point of meeting and talking with the therapist and keep up with how he is doing. Let them know your interest and concerns. Same with speech therapist.

There is probably an MD over the whole rehab section, depending on size of the hospital.. Meet and talk with him as well. Make yourself aware of what's going on. As far as other MDs that may be involved (internist,etc.) they sometimes have attitudes that are counterproductive to what therapist think. Therapist usually know best. There are real good therapist and not so good therapist Just stay interested and don't let them think they can treat him as just another number in a statistics book.
If you want to talk about it and if I can help, let me know.

Sorry about your dog. Have also been there. Just don't let yourself get down about it.
Your father needs positive, upeat energy around him. Not melancholy.

Best to both you and your father.
Don't forget to take care of yourself. You probably have a long road ahead of you so don't deplete your strength anymore than you can help.

Thanks everybody, I'll keep an update going. This weekend he has gotten a little more speech but not much of his movement but they are not as intense on the weekend so Monday will start a little harder. Thanks again

so sorry to hear about your dad an your dog.i know what your going though is rough.dealing with some1 thats had a stroke isnt easy.an i know you miss your dog very much.

Things got even worse Tuesday, he was unresponsive Tuesday morning and had to go back in the hospital. His bloodstream was full of infection and he never got over it. We lost him Thursday morning but at least I know he did not want to live in the shape he was in. Thankfully I was sitting right beside him when he went very peaceful. Thank for all the prayers, they mean so much.

Very sorry about your loss. I am sure there was something you & your Dad shared just between the 2 of you. If I may I would like to tell you about my experience. My Dad and I used to go to a lot of farm auctions together. We usually didn't buy a lot, but we just enjoyed being there together. Then after a long illness, he died. I was really at a loss. The day after the funeral, there was an auction I had planned on going to. I really didn't feel like going, but I went anyway. After I got there, I stared thinking back on the old times. I imagined that he was right there beside me. Pretty soon, I started feeling better. By the time I left the auction, I felt ready to go on with my life. Sure, I still missed him. I still miss him today after 23 years. But I treasure the memories. So Jed, think of something you did together, and you do it just like your Dad was there with you. I think it may help. I know it did me. I hope this wasn't too long of a post. I just wanted to try to give you something to hang onto. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Ron

Thanks everybody, we buried him today so maybe we can start going forward. I have gone to the field with him for 32 springs and I'm only 40 so I will miss him, we spent a lot of time together and covered a lot of acres. Buried him on the farm in a nice little old cemetery about a mile from the house.

Latest posts