Been a interesting month

Help Support CattleToday:

That article really describes Dennys nature well. He is just that kind of person. The kind of person you can truly say it was nice to meet.

How many people do you know that would reply back to someone who asked him if he was scared when he had his abdomen ripped open by a bull's horns and was having to hold his intestine in while riding to the hospital in a pick up truck.

Answering by saying in a calm quiet voice. " yes it's kind of scary holding your intestines in your hands. "
The Dr's couldn't believe that I had walked in to the hospital. They must have been completely blown away when he showed up!

Win a few, lose a few, buck off a few, and a few get rained out.
Yeah that's for sure. The weekend I got hurt and the weekend before I was on a losing streak for sure! (Guess it was over due because things had been going good for quite awhile before) the last three bulls I've been on one hooked the heck out of me the next night I got a direct hard stomp from both of the back feet at once. Monday rolled around and I decided to take the night off of practice bulls. Then I went down to Ohio and got all torn up by a little glancing blow

I always surprised the doctors healing fast that they thought I should.

The World Champion I traveled with was Bob Wagner. He won the world in 1964. The NFR in '64 and '66. He was runner up to Jim Shoulders 5 or 6 times. He got into some legal battles with the PRCA (RCA back then). They would never recognize him. After he passed away they put him in the hall of fame.

I remember that he broke his foot or ankle. He had the doctor mount a spur on his cast so he could keep riding. His wife said that it was hard on sheets.

From what i read there has only been one bull rider get a score of 100. Denny had a score of 98 at some bull riding event.
Yup only one 100 point ride ever. 98 is pretty amazing! Would have been something to see!

I always surprised the doctors healing fast that they thought I should.

The World Champion I traveled with was Bob Wagner. He won the world in 1964. The NFR in '64 and '66. He was runner up to Jim Shoulders 5 or 6 times. He got into some legal battles with the PRCA (RCA back then). They would never recognize him. After he passed away they put him in the hall of fame.

I remember that he broke his foot or ankle. He had the doctor mount a spur on his cast so he could keep riding. His wife said that it was hard on sheets.
Them guys were tuff weren't they ! Was reading about Tuff Hederman bull ride on Bodashious. That bull had a reputation for throwing its head up while throw the rider forward and smashing the riders face.

The bull done that to Tuff and it smashed his face so bad that Tuff couldn't close his mouth, he thought he had a broke jaw or jaws. It was alot worse than he knew himself. Said he could tell by the looks on the faces of people looking at him. I can't remember all the things that was broke in his face. I think out of like 170 rider's that rode that bull only 8 of thoes rode for 8 seconds. The owner retired the bull before someone got killed on it. None of the riders wanted to draw him.

Denny never won a world championship. Said he was trying to spend some of his winnings on things he wanted. Looking back he said he wish he had of spent the money competing for a world championship. I bet he probably could have won a world championship.

Yeah that's for sure. The weekend I got hurt and the weekend before I was on a losing streak for sure! (Guess it was over due because things had been going good for quite awhile before) the last three bulls I've been on one hooked the heck out of me the next night I got a direct hard stomp from both of the back feet at once. Monday rolled around and I decided to take the night off of practice bulls. Then I went down to Ohio and got all torn up by a little glancing blow
Dennys friend said Denny was hook shy after that bull riped his intestines out. And a couple months later Denny drew a horned bull in Memphis. Denny wasn't going to ride it because of what had happened on that horned bull that ripped him open. His traveling buddy told him had to ride it to get over his fear. So Denny rode it and was alright afterwards.

Them guys were tuff weren't they ! Was reading about Tuff Hederman bull ride on Bodashious. That bull had a reputation for throwing its head up while throw the rider forward and smashing the riders face.

The bull done that to Tuff and it smashed his face so bad that Tuff couldn't close his mouth, he thought he had a broke jaw or jaws. It was alot worse than he knew himself. Said he could tell by the looks on the faces of people looking at him. I can't remember all the things that was broke in his face. I think out of like 170 rider's that rode that bull only 8 of thoes rode for 8 seconds. The owner retired the bull before someone got killed on it. None of the riders wanted to draw him.

Denny never won a world championship. Said he was trying to spend some of his winnings on things he wanted. Looking back he said he wish he had of spent the money competing for a world championship. I bet he probably could have won a world championship.
bodacious might be the only professional bull I would not want the opportunity to ride! He had a studder step that caused a lot of wrecks and he looked heavy on the hand!

bodacious might be the only professional bull I would not want the opportunity to ride! He had a studder step that caused a lot of wrecks and he looked heavy on the hand!
You read about the bull Red Rock he had 300 + riders that never rode that bull. But, in the movie 8 seconds Lane Frost supposedly rode him ? Don't know if that was just put in the movie or if Lane actually rode him ?

Seen a documentary on Red Rock that said people could actually crawl on that bulls back and sit on him to have their picture made at the ranch where he was kept ? Even little kid's could.

I don't know how that was done ?

That bull was awarded the highest badge of honor any bull has ever been awarded. Think it is called PBR Badge of honor ? Does that sound right ?

That bull was awarded the highest badge of honor any bull has ever been awarded. Think it is called PBR Badge of honor ? Does that sound right ?
It's the brand of honor. He was awarded that in 2019 I believe.

Red rock had a very impressive record. Lane frost rode him a few times after he was retired as a special battle of champions tour thing that they did. And yes they say he was very gentle and friendly

It's the brand of honor. He was awarded that in 2019 I believe.

Red rock had a very impressive record. Lane frost rode him a few times after he was retired as a special battle of champions tour thing that they did. And yes they say he was very gentle and friendly
They don't put bucking straps on bull's like they do on bucking horse's do they ?

I know they don't. I don't understand why Red Rock would let people sit on his back and not buck them off ?

And do they actually hot brand PBR on the bull for a brand of honor ?

And do they actually hot brand PBR on the bull for a brand of honor ?
They don't put bucking straps on bull's like they do on bucking horse's do they ?

I know they don't. I don't understand why Red Rock would let people sit on his back and not buck them off ?
No they don't actually brand anything it's metaphoric. And a lot of the bulls (maybe all I'm not sure) are dead before they get it

They put a flank rope on bulls which is a little different then a horse flank strap but serves the same purpose. And some of the bulls know their job very well there is bulls that will be show calf gentle until that chute gate opens and then it's go time until the rider is in the dirt! Then it's back to being a show calf

I knew two guys who rode Red Rock before Growney's bought him. I have no idea how old the bull was then. He may very well have been fairly young and he probably got smarter about bucking people off as he aged. Of course once Growneys got him they made a point of letting it be known how many he bucked off.

I knew two guys who rode Red Rock before Growney's bought him. I have no idea how old the bull was then. He may very well have been fairly young and he probably got smarter about bucking people off as he aged. Of course once Growneys got him they made a point of letting it be known how many he bucked off.
Yeah I'd guess there was probably a few guys that rode him as a calf. And maybe even a few that rode him later outside of professional competition. They can definitely get real smart though

Yeah I'd guess there was probably a few guys that rode him as a calf. And maybe even a few that rode him later outside of professional competition. They can definitely get real smart though
I am sure he wasn't a calf. They were both pretty good bull riders and it was at a well established rodeo. Both riders were PRCA card holder but this wasn't at a PRCA rodeo. I knew the old stock contractor who had him. He was fairly small time. And when he got something that really bucked he sold them to make ends meet.

I am sure he wasn't a calf. They were both pretty good bull riders and it was at a well established rodeo. Both riders were PRCA card holder but this wasn't at a PRCA rodeo. I knew the old stock contractor who had him. He was fairly small time. And when he got something that really bucked he sold them to make ends meet.
It would have been pretty cool to see red rock!

If a calf is impressive enough even a good rodeo will use them sometimes

I remember watching a show about that, he was one uncanny bull the way he'd flick the rider forward and then throw his head back to smash them. I believe after Tuff had his face rebuilt and recovered in his comeback tournament he drew bodacious again. He got on him but they pulled him off as the gate opened. I know it sounds kind of crazy but after seeing that was when i became keen to start riding.

I remember watching a show about that, he was one uncanny bull the way he'd flick the rider forward and then throw his head back to smash them. I believe after Tuff had his face rebuilt and recovered in his comeback tournament he drew bodacious again. He got on him but they pulled him off as the gate opened. I know it sounds kind of crazy but after seeing that was when i became keen to start riding.
I remember a documentary about Bodacious that was was talking mainly the riders that got hurt because Bodacious had that repretation of slinging his head up and smashing alot of his rider's faces.

I remember it showing this one guy ridding him wearing I guess a mask that looked like what a hockey player would wear.

Bodacious didn't make but about 2 jumps out of the shoot before he throwed that big head of his up like a wrecking ball hitting the rider right square in the face as the rider was being thrown forward at the same time. It knocked that guy out cold. It hurt me just watching it.

Out of like 169 riders that rode Bodacious there were only 8 qualifying rides made. If I remember right Tuff made 3 of thoes 8 rides to qualify on him.

There was another bull named yellow jacket that was popular back then too. Can't remember much about him other than he was popular back then.

Your right. If Bodacious reputation for smashing people's faces with his head made you keen to start bull riding. That sounds crazy to me.

Nothing about bull riding sounds keen to me.

I remember a documentary about Bodacious that was was talking mainly the riders that got hurt because Bodacious had that repretation of slinging his head up and smashing alot of his rider's faces.

I remember it showing this one guy ridding him wearing I guess a mask that looked like what a hockey player would wear.

Bodacious didn't make but about 2 jumps out of the shoot before he throwed that big head of his up like a wrecking ball hitting the rider right square in the face as the rider was being thrown forward at the same time. It knocked that guy out cold. It hurt me just watching it.

Out of like 169 riders that rode Bodacious there were only 8 qualifying rides made. If I remember right Tuff made 3 of thoes 8 rides to qualify on him.

There was another bull named yellow jacket that was popular back then too. Can't remember much about him other than he was popular back then.

Your right. If Bodacious reputation for smashing people's faces with his head made you keen to start bull riding. That sounds crazy to me.

Nothing about bull riding sounds keen to me.
You were right about Tuff passing up a Ride on Bodacious. Said he was going to ride him and Tuff turned him out at the request of his son. Said he got a standing ovation from the crowd. I guess his son didn't want him to ride because he thought his dad might get hurt.

I guess I was wrong about Tuff making 3 qualifying rides on him too. Because he rode him once and got a score of 95. Then he rode him the time that Bodacious broke ever bone in his face.

Latest posts