Been a interesting month

Help Support CattleToday:

Those that can't, teach!
Can't pay for experience, but you can make money from it.
Good luck to you and your recovery.

I got on a few bulls at your age. I quit them pretty quick. But I got on my first bareback bronc when I was 18 and my last one at 30. And a bunch in between. Traveled some with a man who was a world champion bull rider and some other guys who were real good bull riders. For the life of me I still don't know why a person gets on a bull. Horses that buck are so much more fun. I did get busted up some. People including my parents said that I wouldn't be able to walk by the time I was 60. Now at 69 I find that I am much better off physically than those people who never did anything exciting. Get well soon.

Get well soon.

Experiences like that is where common sense comes from. You get to evaluate what you did, how you like the experience and outcome, and get to decide what to do about it. Some will become heroes and some will wish they wouldn't have tried. Your choice. Don't make decisions based on peer pressure.

To each his own. Many of us tried bulls and/or broncs when we were young, just as many tried other sports, including football and drag racing.
Risks exist everywhere. If the challenge and enjoyment outweighs the risk factors, go for it.

I tried it during high school, was not very good at all, did not get seriously injured and don't regret doing it one bit.

Something to consider maybe..

"Unsurprisingly, bull riding also has the highest rate of injury of any rodeo sport, with the incidence of injury at 32.2 injuries per 1000 competitor-exposures."

(exposure=rides)

Good luck!

jltrent said:
I would not let that bull win. Heal up quick and show him what you are made of.

The great thing about bulls is you don't have to ride them to win. Stay off their back and you'll live long enough to see them in a bologna casing. Victory.
I was trying reverse psychology as grown men are going to do what grown men are going to do. Buck you processed a little further than some and maybe past the 10 feet tall and bulletproof stage. We do need bull riders for entertainment though and the more the bull wins the better the show. Kinda gets boring when the rider wins every time. Bulls lives matter (BLM)

Last edited:
I've been to a Mexican 'rodeo' that consisted mostly of bull riding. plaza de toros guadalajara. They don't ride for 8 seconds. The rule is the rider rides until bucked off or until the bull gives it up (ride until submission) The arena is only about a mile from my house and the dance afterwards goes on into the wee hours of the morning.
Wife and I are usually the only gringos there but that's ok too.

Then riders on horseback come in and heel and/or horn rope the bull, young kids come in and throw the bull and hog tie him.

Jineto de Toro similar to the rodeo event. Bulls are smaller, between 990 and 1320 pounds, and are ridden until they stop bucking. Two hands can be used on the bullrope. Points are given for technique. The charro cannot fall off, he must dismount and land upright. After the charro dismounts the bull he must remove the bullrope and bellrope so the Terna en el Ruedo can follow.

Terna en el Ruedo (Team of three); a team roping event in which three charros attempt to rope a bull - one by its neck, one by its hind legs, and the last then ties its feet together. They have a maximum of 10 minutes. Points are awarded for rope tricks and time.

I've been to a Mexican 'rodeo' that consisted mostly of bull riding. plaza de toros guadalajara. They don't ride for 8 seconds. The rule is the rider rides until bucked off or until the bull gives it up (ride until submission) The arena is only about a mile from my house and the dance afterwards goes on into the wee hours of the morning.

Then riders on horseback come in and heel and/or horn rope the bull, young kids come in and throw the bull and hog tie him.

Jineto de Toro similar to the rodeo event. Bulls are smaller, between 990 and 1320 pounds, and are ridden until they stop bucking. Two hands can be used on the bullrope. Points are given for technique. The charro cannot fall off, he must dismount and land upright. After the charro dismounts the bull he must remove the bullrope and bellrope so the Terna en el Ruedo can follow.

Terna en el Ruedo (Team of three); a team roping event in which three charros attempt to rope a bull - one by its neck, one by its hind legs, and the last then ties its feet together. They have a maximum of 10 minutes. Points are awarded for rope tricks and time.
Now that sounds like a good time right there! Bet if they serve food that doesn't suck either!

Now that sounds like a good time right there! Bet if they serve food that doesn't suck either!

I was thinking the same. I want a deep fried Jalapeno and some Mexican food now. Thanks. 😋❤ I bet that's a good time.

Glad to hear you are healing and not hurt so bad as to have crippled you for life. I also cannot tell you that you should not ride or should get back on them. It ultimately has to be a decision you can live with. Just consider it from a few different view points. I think all bull riders have to be a little bit crazy.... but then I think bungie jumping is crazy too!!!! You can get hurt or killed by a car, or a tree falling on you or a friendly cow having a pissed off day.... but the risk is less.

It is indeed a good time and there is only the usual amount of rodeo dustups even tho the beer flows freely. I've seen the guys and gals on horseback with a beer in their hand, setting it down on one of the fence posts in front of the grandstand. Most of the bulls are on the small side but buck well.
All the announcements are in Spanish but not a whole lot to need translating except the various free giveaways to the fans about every 3 minutes during the rodeo, which is actually called La Charreada, tho the local one is mostly restricted to bull riding and horsemanship.

Glad your healing ezy. Did you win?

Ken
Nope. Bucked off at 7 seconds. Made the short round on time as not all the holes were filled with a ride. I waited around hoping I'd feel a little better but finally when it came time to draw my short round bull I decided something just didn't seem right and I made the decision not to ride and finally decided that I should go talk to the EMTs

As far as riding again goes well I still have months to go before I can really even make that decision. However a life deprived of joy is no life at all so quitting the things that you enjoy because they might (or will) make you miserable seems like just a faster way to get to the point you are trying to avoid.

Well I have been doing this it is the happiest I have ever been and currently I'm enjoying my life (even with the tough times) more then ever! I have made some amazing friends and have a good group of people from the rodeo community that have looked out for me more then I ever could have expected (I have gotten lots of help and support from the people in every area of my life but the rodeo community has by far done the most for me since the accident) bull riding definitely has extreme highs and extreme lows but I have been blessed so much from my experience in rodeo. And the connections I've made are priceless!

Tomorrow is not promised to anyone. I will always be planning for tomorrow and trying to put myself in a better position for tomorrow then I was today. However I will enjoy myself today as that is the only day I know that I have

And with all that said I still appreciate the view from the other side as this is a incredibly dangerous sport and takes a extreme toll on your body bank account and your future

Hey ez good to see you around again. I'm with J . Quit being such a puss and get on back out there while you're young.
Remember when dun banned ez13 for telling angus cowman to go hump a stump.....;)
I do remember that 🤣🤣

My brother rode in a Mexican rodeo (American style bull riding though) and I watched him. I gotta say they are a very generous and friendly group of people and they know how to put on a show! However after watching that you will not find me competing in any dang Mexican rodeo! That was the meanest nastiest group of bulls I have ever seen! And the fight in the chute before the ride even being was as tough a fight as I've seen and it was every single out of the rodeo! It was very entertaining but my brother competing in it twisted my stomach up inside me!

So what caused the injuries? Did he trample you?

Ken
Yeah he stepped on my side and got me right where the front and back of my vest came together which is just a bit more flexible then the rest of the vest. He managed to get me in the vests only soft spot

It is better to die while you are living than to live while you are dead.

It has been nearly 40 years since I last get on a bareback bronc. Of course that is the first event in rodeos. So when they were playing the national anthem I was strapping my riggin on a bronc. To this day when I hear the national anthem my body starts flexing and moving. I am mentally getting ready to climb on.

Nope. Bucked off at 7 seconds. Made the short round on time as not all the holes were filled with a ride. I waited around hoping I'd feel a little better but finally when it came time to draw my short round bull I decided something just didn't seem right and I made the decision not to ride and finally decided that I should go talk to the EMTs

As far as riding again goes well I still have months to go before I can really even make that decision. However a life deprived of joy is no life at all so quitting the things that you enjoy because they might (or will) make you miserable seems like just a faster way to get to the point you are trying to avoid.

Well I have been doing this it is the happiest I have ever been and currently I'm enjoying my life (even with the tough times) more then ever! I have made some amazing friends and have a good group of people from the rodeo community that have looked out for me more then I ever could have expected (I have gotten lots of help and support from the people in every area of my life but the rodeo community has by far done the most for me since the accident) bull riding definitely has extreme highs and extreme lows but I have been blessed so much from my experience in rodeo. And the connections I've made are priceless!

Tomorrow is not promised to anyone. I will always be planning for tomorrow and trying to put myself in a better position for tomorrow then I was today. However I will enjoy myself today as that is the only day I know that I have

And with all that said I still appreciate the view from the other side as this is a incredibly dangerous sport and takes a extreme toll on your body bank account and your future
My wife is 51 year's old. Her passion is barrel racing. She has the same feeling about her competeing in her barrel racing as what you and Dave has described about your bull riding and Dave's bronc riding.

She has been hurt a few times herself. Less than a year ago I got a call at work from her.

Said she was bucked off and landed flat on her back on hard ground. Two of her friends wanted her to go to the emergency room but she wouldn't go.

When i got home that night she was awake lying on her stomach. I raised her shirt up and she had a black and blue bruise twice the size of a baby moon hub cap protruding between her shoulder blades from the base of her neck to the small of her back.

Tried to get her to go to the emergency room right then. Wouldn't go, said she would see a doctor the next morning.

Took some x-rays, gave her some pain killers, told her to come back in a week for a fallow up.

Took her to another doctor a few days later. Done an MRI, she had 3 broke ribs, 7 fractured vertebrae. She was competing less than two months after that.

One time she hit a barrel cut a heck of a gash in her leg. Stopped at the emergency room and got her stitched up that Time.

Then a couple years ago a horse stepped on her foot, was nearly a year after having surgery getting over that. Was supposed to stay off of it all together for a year.

Six months later after surgeon pulled the pen running through her big toe that kept the bones lined lined up while everything heeled. And they took the stitches out of the other incisions from the surgery. She takes a pair of her ridding boots to a boot store and comes up with this deal where the guy that repairs boots to stretch the boot and make it bigger so she could get it over her hurt foot that was still swollen 6 months after having had surgery on.

And was supposed to not put any weight on for another six months after having the stitches and pins taken out.

She just left a couple hours ago headed to vet facility in Tulsa Oklahoma to go pick up some of her horse's (A Srallion & 2 mares)she is having the stud collected and the mares insimuated that she is raising colts out out. It's about a 4 hour drive through alot of road work that is dangerous pulling a horse trailer through.

She has been that way every since we have been together. I would be lieing if i said I don't worry about her. But I know too that is what she lives for. She is up at 4:30 a.m every morning feeding and taking care of her horse's and she doesn't miss a morning and thoes horses get fed twice a day. Never miss a meal.

So i kind of understand what you and Dave are describing.

My wife is 51 year's old. Her passion is barrel racing. She has the same feeling about her competeing in her barrel racing as what you and Dave has described about your bull riding and Dave's bronc riding.

She has been hurt a few times herself. Less than a year ago I got a call at work from her.

Said she was bucked off and landed flat on her back on hard ground. Two of her friends wanted her to go to the emergency room but she wouldn't go.

When i got home that night she was awake lying on her stomach. I raised her shirt up and she had a black and blue bruise twice the size of a baby moon hub cap protruding between her shoulder blades from the base of her neck to the small of her back.

Tried to get her to go to the emergency room right then. Wouldn't go, said she would see a doctor the next morning.

Took some x-rays, gave her some pain killers, told her to come back in a week for a fallow up.

Took her to another doctor a few days later. Done an MRI, she had 3 broke ribs, 7 fractured vertebrae. She was competing less than two months after that.

One time she hit a barrel cut a heck of a gash in her leg. Stopped at the emergency room and got her stitched up that Time.

Then a couple years ago a horse stepped on her foot, was nearly a year after having surgery getting over that. Was supposed to stay off of it all together for a year.

Six months later after surgeon pulled the pen running through her big toe that kept the bones lined lined up while everything heeled. And they took the stitches out of the other incisions from the surgery. She takes a pair of her ridding boots to a boot store and comes up with this deal where the guy that repairs boots to stretch the boot and make it bigger so she could get it over her hurt foot that was still swollen 6 months after having had surgery on.

And was supposed to not put any weight on for another six months after having the stitches and pins taken out.

She just left a couple hours ago headed to vet facility in Tulsa Oklahoma to go pick up some of her horse's (A Srallion & 2 mares)she is having the stud collected and the mares insimuated that she is raising colts out out. It's about a 4 hour drive through alot of road work that is dangerous pulling a horse trailer through.

She has been that way every since we have been together. I would be lieing if i said I don't worry about her. But I know too that is what she lives for. She is up at 4:30 a.m every morning feeding and taking care of her horse's and she doesn't miss a morning and thoes horses get fed twice a day. Never miss a meal.

So i kind of understand what you and Dave are describing.
It is unfortunate the toll these things can take on a person

Latest posts