Been a interesting month

Help Support CattleToday:

ez14.

Reaction score
Incase anyone is curious about the procedure I mentioned having earlier I guess I should explain

So on March 5th I met up with some buddies to head down to a bull riding. And I guess you could say it didn't go my way. Spent 4 days in ICU and 4 more in a regular room. Had 3 surgeries well I was there and one procedure just recently. Lacerated my kidney spleen pancreas and intestine which obviously resulted in internal bleeding and all that fun stuff. Dr's said I was just hours away from dying and inches away from being tube fed for the rest of my life. All that said I have been amazingly blessed with much faster healing then was expected and amazing friends and family that have helped me through the situation more then I possibly could have imagined

Dang brother. Glad your okay. Hope you continue to have a speed recovery.

Incase anyone is curious about the procedure I mentioned having earlier I guess I should explain

So on March 5th I met up with some buddies to head down to a bull riding. And I guess you could say it didn't go my way. Spent 4 days in ICU and 4 more in a regular room. Had 3 surgeries well I was there and one procedure just recently. Lacerated my kidney spleen pancreas and intestine which obviously resulted in internal bleeding and all that fun stuff. Dr's said I was just hours away from dying and inches away from being tube fed for the rest of my life. All that said I have been amazingly blessed with much faster healing then was expected and amazing friends and family that have helped me through the situation more then I possibly could have imagined
When do you ride again ?

I would say my hat is off to you but that would be a lie. I take by looking at your profile your 21 years old .

When i was that age I was a 2 stepping fool romanceing all the honeys.

Never crawled on a bull one to get there attention. Had a heck of alot more fun doing that than crawling on a I'll tempered animal that wasn't ment to be rode in the first place.

Sounds like you owe alot to this bull that messed you up. He has probably left you with some suvinors that will be with you for life. And let you look at your future in his crystal ball of what can be ahead of you if you decide to continue your career bull riding however short it will be.

I got $ 100 says it will be a short career too !!! Just hope you don't end up in a wheelchair before that happens !

I was 21 once. Nobody is very smart at that age !

You are a damned fool. Keep doing what you're doing and you will wind up dead or worse..............

Hope you heal up well ez14.
The thing about riding bulls is that it's not IF you get hurt, it's when and how bad. But it's a good sport, especially if you are a bit of an adrenaline junky. I messed with it a very little bit but realized I started too late so quit before I got into trouble. During my son's high school rodeo years I tied him onto a lot of bulls, and I'm glad that after high school he gave that up and took up saddle bronc.
I do have to say though that I see more barrel racers take the ride in the medic wagon than bull riders. Might because there are a lot more barrel racers, I don't know.
A good friend of mine always told me that if he won the world he'd hang it up. And to his credit, he did win the world and he did hang it up.

Still have open incisions and stuff on my stomach. Probably going to be at least a couple more months but it's really hard to say at this point

This is just some kind of nightmare! you are very lucky. I wish you a quick recovery. Don't risk it anymore - it's not worth it, your life is much more valuable.

Still have open incisions and stuff on my stomach. Probably going to be at least a couple more months but it's really hard to say at this point
I would be more concerned about the lacerations to the m kidney, spleen, pancreas, and intestine than the open incisions. Internal damage like that is no joke and can be reinjured with all of that jostling around. Make sure you get the Dr's ok first.

I think I would take 504RP and LVR's advice. You don't get many do-overs like you just got.

Oh, dang, @ez14. Glad you're healing faster than expected but . . . . Wow. One of my friends has a son that is a bull rider and one of his friends was recently killed by a bull - and it was not quick, over in an instant.

Glad that you are healing up from that. Now for the free lecture, you are fortunate that it wasn't any worse than it was and it sounds like it's pretty bad. You are a young man playing a dangerous game, quit while you still can. There is no shame in making a responsible decision especially when it comes to your health and life. I would take that experience and put it in the past. You now have a real interesting story to tell for years to come, just don't do it anymore so you can actually talk about it years from now. When you are young it's hard to realize the effect your actions and decisions can have on others as well as yourself. If you were to have been hurt worse or killed think how that would affect your loved ones. If it had been a situation where you were no longer able to care for yourself that would change the lives of your family dramatically, and place them in with an unnecessary burden.
There are plenty of other things to do, enjoy life and the people around you as much as you can. If you haven't already I would encourage you to spend some time while you are healing seeking a relationship with God. He is the ultimate physician, and his Word will never steer you wrong.

Glad your healing up quick. I had a employee years ago that rode bulls and at the age of 30 he had a hard time doing much, even getting out of bed was a chore. Hands were worthless he wished he hadn't done it as it wasn't worth it in hindsight

Give yourself plenty of time to heal up, get your strength and mobility back before rodeoing. Analyze what went wrong and how to correct it. As to your future that is up to you. A lot of people will try to do your thinking for you. Make your own decisions and go by your inner guidance.

Wow you did a good job! But hey if you're going to do something do it properly!! Hope you make a good recovery with no long term problems. I bet showing the girls all your scars will be a regular occurrence 😜

When i was in my late teens i was really keen to get into bull riding. A cousin and i applied for an induction course. My cousin was an apprentice jockey who grew too big, our grandfather was a champion jockey. But my father sat me down and talked me out of it. My cousin did the course but decided it wasn't for him. To be honest i do have a few regrets i never had a crack but i did have heaps of fun riding bulls at home.

Latest posts