Beefy Clover

Help Support CattleToday:

it did come on strong in May like you said it would. i let it seed out and a lot of the seed sprouted right away so i dont how much i'll have this fall. the cows have access to that field right now. the second bag i planted didnt do as well, not sure if it was planting and germination time that was bad or difference in pH of that half of the field or what. i want to plant some more this fall, but it didnt provide the winter forage that i was (wrongly) expecting it to, so i'll probably mix with rye or something this go around.

Unless we have a wet fall I wouldn't expect much out of it till spring. Since you let it go to seed you should have plenty of seed out there.

Xbred, its called Dixie Crimson. Its pretty good stuff but it puts on flowers at the end of the plant so you have to either pull the cows off and let it flower or replant it every year. In our area its probably one of the best clovers - at least what I've found. Durano is good and extremely persistent here but it just doesn't grow that much forage due to the conditions but you get the N so that's worth something I guess.

i'll be planting clover in october...along with about 15-20lbs ryegrass per acre. don't know enough about any of it.. from wht i read Duranna is prety good... had a soil sample showing i need a ton and a half of lime per acre, 30 lbs P and 120 lbs K....

well i let it go to seed and then turned the cows in. so whatever shattered, shattered, and the rest got dispersed in cowpies wherever... so i'll probably put out some more there this fall and try to get a thicker stand. at least on that one side where it was sparse.

that is good news as I just ordered some crimson clover and what I got was Dixie....I am planting it with small grain after grazing paddocks.....

Dixie works great here. We are on the edge of the range for Durano. Durano flourishes but it doesn't produce much forage and only stays low to the ground. Arrowleaf seems to do well here too.

I have found it (Dixie) working well in my hay fields in SW Virginia. It has done well seeding itself and somewhat resisted the weed spraying for horse nettle etc. Better 1st cutting than later but still there.

I have been frost seeding it in jan/February timeframe.

Latest posts