beefmasters

Help Support CattleToday:

tiger hunter

Reaction score
listen up beefmaster breeders need info on them.i want the good and bad need help!!!! thinking about getting some.

i was a breeder, great cows when they have not been corrupted by the Angus genetics. Stay away from Soulman and Black Magic mommas. 1st cross is fine they tend not do to good on 2 nd cross small weanings, start doing better on third cross. Stay with a breeder that has more foundation herd type genetics, frenzel, casey, lassiter, L2 and quite a few others. Bad thing about S.E. breeders they love swapping heifers. My disappoint has come from the SE breeders pushing their agenda. They seem not to focus on EPD's more on looks. You will rarely see high WW and YW #'s. You will not have any calving issues. I have had 1 in probably 150 births. I am crossing my Beefmasters with a Gelbveih. i will continue with Beefmaster mommas but as far as breeding for a Bull , no.

My Dad had some Lasater Beefmasters, and they were great cattle.. gentle, steady, great milkers, and very good when the weather is hot hot. They raised good big calves. I still got a few holdovers from their offspring, but most of them are either Gert influence or Limo cross.

Saddens me to see that the SE Beefmaster breeders are not focusing on EPD's and more on looks -- this is truly an epidemic --Same thing is happening in the Simmental -- most of the breeders in the SE are raising show cattle and throwing performance away... It is rare today that you can find a Simmental bull that doesnt have any Legacy bloodlines and some people haven't ever even seen one....
:?

thommoos":1axa2c7p said:
i was a breeder, great cows when they have not been corrupted by the Angus genetics. Stay away from Soulman and Black Magic mommas. 1st cross is fine they tend not do to good on 2 nd cross small weanings, start doing better on third cross. Stay with a breeder that has more foundation herd type genetics, frenzel, casey, lassiter, L2 and quite a few others. Bad thing about S.E. breeders they love swapping heifers. My disappoint has come from the SE breeders pushing their agenda. They seem not to focus on EPD's more on looks. You will rarely see high WW and YW #'s. You will not have any calving issues. I have had 1 in probably 150 births. I am crossing my Beefmasters with a Gelbveih. i will continue with Beefmaster mommas but as far as breeding for a Bull , no.

Latest posts