Beefmasters

Help Support CattleToday:

Rosielou

Reaction score
For a commercial use(black bull on commercial mommas), would you recommend them as a herd sire? I'm interested in them for throwing ear, more hardiness, fertility, docility, etc in replacement heifers. Would they take a dock at the sale barn? Would they throw larger calves? Generalizing, would the calves be too large for heifers(angus, hereford etc), or would it not cause problems? One of my main concerns is calving ease. Would they grow off as good or better than angus sired calves? We currently use angus, though have used Limousin in the past. We have used Santa Gertudis and Brangus bulls in the past, but I think we shied away from the breeds influenced by Brahmans in the past because the bulls always threw too big of calves. But with beefmaster, would this be an issue? Thanks in advance, ears are always open to advice and help. :nod:

Rosielou":1sw7gwiq said:
For a commercial use(black bull on commercial mommas), would you recommend them as a herd sire? I'm interested in them for throwing ear, more hardiness, fertility, docility, etc in replacement heifers. Would they take a dock at the sale barn? Would they throw larger calves? Generalizing, would the calves be too large for heifers(angus, hereford etc), or would it not cause problems? One of my main concerns is calving ease. Would they grow off as good or better than angus sired calves? We currently use angus, though have used Limousin in the past. We have used Santa Gertudis and Brangus bulls in the past, but I think we shied away from the breeds influenced by Brahmans in the past because the bulls always threw too big of calves. But with beefmaster, would this be an issue? Thanks in advance, ears are always open to advice and help. :nod:
If you are wanting to raise some replacement females out of Angus or Hereford cows that would fit your environment and do the things you asked then Beefmaster, Brangus or Santa Gertrudis would suit you well. As far as calving ease goes, that depends on the bull. There are calving ease bulls available in every breed.

If you get a true ce BM bull, it would do you well for what you want in replacement heifers, but we've all seen a lot of what is "supposed" to be beefmasters that have lost a good bit of what the breed originally was, and it's usually due to too much % of one breed in the mix--most often Brahma around here.

Thank you for the advice BC. I know there are calving ease bulls available, but with the Brahman influence, do Beefmasters in general throw bigger boned calves? We don't want any calves bigger than 80 lbs, especially for heifers. Sorry if I'm just beating a dead horse atm :?

denvermartinfarms":39u0p5rp said:
There are some good one's, but if i was you i would want a brangus for my first choice.
What would be your reasoning behind that choice, are there things that they would offer that beefmaster do not? I'm not opposed at all to the idea

greybeard":39u0p5rp said:
If you get a true ce BM bull, it would do you well for what you want in replacement heifers, but we've all seen a lot of what is "supposed" to be beefmasters that have lost a good bit of what the breed originally was, and it's usually due to too much % of one breed in the mix--most often Brahma around here.
What would you consider a true Beefmaster and what is not? I've heard that the black beefmasters tend to have something else thrown in there/different % than the reds?

I am not against the beefmaster, and we are not in the same area so things are different, but around here it can be what the beef master offers that the brangus doesn't that makes the brangus better.

Well obviously I'm biased... and we raise our Beefmasters on the 6 Essentials and cull deeply for those that do not comply.

That being said - our calves average in weight from 60# to the largest one last year was 80# (cow calved without assistance).

As with ANY BREED, check the paperwork out before you buy, if it's a local breeder... have them show you some of the same genetic lineup as the bull you are buying, look at the dam, look at the sire (if not an A.I.), look at the contemporary group of calves that was raised in the similar condition and of the same age.

Beefmasters have Brahman in them just like Gerts and Brangus. The only way to get more ear is to infuse Brahman or a Brahman influenced breed.

Latest posts