Beefmasters

Help Support CattleToday:

FLJoe

Reaction score
I am in the process of switching my hobby crossbred herd over to Beefmasters. Can anyone offer some positive or negative experiences with the breed? Thanks.

I have a few crossbred Beefmaster heifers that i breed to Brangus bulls and love them. They are gentle, milk well and raise a very good calf. I notice if you are raising pure breds to sell at sale bars you get a reduction because of the colors that come up. I get solid black calves with the bull and get premium prices for the cales. I believe you will be very satisfied with that choice if you go there.

Arancher":rlgbs4eo said:
I have a few crossbred Beefmaster heifers that i breed to Brangus bulls and love them. They are gentle, milk well and raise a very good calf. I notice if you are raising pure breds to sell at sale bars you get a reduction because of the colors that come up. I get solid black calves with the bull and get premium prices for the cales. I believe you will be very satisfied with that choice if you go there.

Kinda what I was thinking for his area Brangus would be a good fit heat tolerance and all, and he would probally fair better at the sale barn.

we run chrolais bull over our beefmaster cows, we get mostly yellow calves with just a touch of leather, and get a premium price over the scale. to each his own

would beefmasters crossed with brangus have to much leather ? They dock you over the scale for to much leather, here in north alabama.

otistee":1nd1tjyl said:
would beefmasters crossed with brangus have to much leather ? They dock you over the scale for to much leather, here in north alabama.
They might have slightly less leather. In Your area, why not consider an Angus Bull. There are several good breeders fairly close around you. Ellis is having a dispersion next month.

Thanks for all your opinions. I just retired my 10 year old Hereford Bull this year after he poked one eye out. A partially blind bull is a difficult thing to trailer when leasing. So I was looking into several breeds, and was very impressed with this polled Beefmaster I saw while shopping. I bought one of his polled bull calves on the spot.

What is popular in my area are Hereford/Angus/Brahma crosses. The brahma influence of course is needed for heat tolerance. And over the years I have found that the more brahma, the sweeter the disposition. But as many of you have stated, too much ear does not always fare well at market.

That is why I think a Beefmaster/Brangus cross may be too much ear for the scales, but I can imagine what great mothering and dispositions! My biggest challenge has been finding registered stock that is polled. Beefmaster registry does not make that one of the requirements for papered animals. therefore, I have had to drive all over the state for a cow here or there. I have an all polled herd now and would prefer to keep it that way.

i ran beefmaster bulls up until last year, went to brangus last year and angus this year. the beefmaster threw a little to much ear on my calves. the charlois and black calves out sold the beefmaster calves at the sale barn

I have only positive things to say about Beefmasters. we run beefmaster bulls, angus bulls, and 3/4 limousin 1/4 angus bulls on our cows, most of which are at least half beefmaster. the limangXbeefmaster calves have topped the sale for the last 3 years we've sold. the angus cross heifers make excellent moms and are just a little brangusy but not too much. we have a lot of beefmaster cows that are white faced and when we breed them to black bulls we get a fair percentage of black white face calves which sell very well here. In the past we have used charolais and simmental bulls and these crossed well with the beefmaster cows too but everybody around here wants black calves now so we are producing what everbody wants. I have to admit i like the black ones too though.

Beefy":bz7skosh said:
I have only positive things to say about Beefmasters. we run beefmaster bulls, angus bulls, and 3/4 limousin 1/4 angus bulls on our cows, most of which are at least half beefmaster. the limangXbeefmaster calves have topped the sale for the last 3 years we've sold. the angus cross heifers make excellent moms and are just a little brangusy but not too much. we have a lot of beefmaster cows that are white faced and when we breed them to black bulls we get a fair percentage of black white face calves which sell very well here. In the past we have used charolais and simmental bulls and these crossed well with the beefmaster cows too but everybody around here wants black calves now so we are producing what everbody wants. I have to admit i like the black ones too though.

Simmental or Limousin bull cross to Beefmaster cows give great calvesyou could use a Black Simmental or Limousin Bull if Black is your choice of color.

Joe I'm not well versed on the Beefmaster breed, but I can tell you that the cross you described (hereford/angus/brahma) is a high quality animal. AKA "Super Baldies". I use angus bulls on Braford cows and I am well pleased. We could simailarly utilize some continental blood in the mix to put more pounds on the ground but I like the carcass niche. Florida is tough on an angus bull but you can add bull power a lot cheaper than half your cows coming up open because of heat stress. Braford cows are out grazing in 95F with 90% humidity. Bulls are in the shade but come to life at night. The resulting calves thrive well with the 3/16 Brahama retention. Heifers should bring a pretty penny or make excellent replacements for you should you go that direction. I fyou are interested in Braford cattle, might I recommend Adam's Ranch, home of the foundation herd. They have plenty of heifers for sale right now, open, exposed and safe in calf. They are in Ft. Pierce, Kenansville, and Okeechobee. I'll pass the contact name and phone number to you if you like or just check out The Florida Cattlemen magazine, Adam's website etc. Furthermore they have developed an interesting composite which I think holds great merit for the future of quality beef.

I breed seedstock beefmasters and I chose beefmasters for good reasons, we also have a decent amount of beefmaster crosses, I have bred holstein to our beefmaster bulls and the calves our phenominal. Beefmasters will add the thickness and growth you are looking for. I also have a few BLACK Beefmasters bulls, that are exceptional. If you interested in any beefmaster cattle, please contact me, My name is Brandon Zahn, you canm reach me at (985-974-0199) or email me at [email protected], I know that we have a few black beefmaster cross heifers that are damn good. they are out of a desperado son, a red bull, and out of black cows.

Latest posts