Beefmaster

Help Support CattleToday:

Big Bull,

I just like to make it a point to let folks know that unsound breeders are out there. When I was beginning, a guy, who has now become a really good friend, steered me (no pun intended) in the right direction. Had it not been for him, I certainly would've gone the wrong direction in selecting the most functional Beemfaster cattle for my operation.

texast":2x8kek4g said:
I think BM would do a great job for you. He'll add pound's and possible get you some replace heifers out of him too.
As I look into the breed I'm finding a lot of breeders are going to breeding for just red cattle so the paints are all but bred out of them, which for me is an added attraction. I'm also finding some are breeding or their selling point is we have " black" beefmasters. Color isn't so much a deciding factor for me, but I do like the paints.
I'm noticing with the breeds I'm looking into a lot of them are really pushing show cattle, and I'm not into that part of the business. I just want a cow to have and raise a nice calf. Be able to make it in the real world without the feed bucket every day!

Tom Lasater was pretty effective in selecting the six essentials: Disposition, Fertility, Weight, Conformation, Hardiness, and Milk. Each of these things can be directly tied to the profitability of cattle. They should be six tools, equally used (balance), to select cattle. I equate them to a pie divided into six pieces. If we start to select for solid red or solid black, we risk placing more emphasis on a particular trait...It's even worse if that trait has no positive effect on profitability. So as one is tempted to over-select, one should ask themselves what they're willing to give up in return. :santa:

There are no black Beefmasters in my book as there are no black Herefords etc.
If I am going to Angus genetics I am using 100% Angus. I am looking at calves that mash the scales and ring the bell.

circlew":1crkl1bc said:
Cb what about a brangus bull, them super balides would ring the bell.
I'm guessing he doesn't want to put a brangus back on his tiger cows. Would be good on the Herefords though. I'm buying another brangus this week to put on some of my Herefords and black cows.

they dont have much of that brimmer temper unless you misstreat them an handle them wrong.

mine are big babies..i got a dozen cows now. bmstrs..not all reg tho...but all could be..i guess im kinda missing out by not doin it but idk..its just out of reach for me with a reg job 6 10s a week

Cut my teeth, in vet school, and my practice years, in areas where Beefmaster cattle predominated. There were good ones and not so good ones.

Have not seen much need for the breed(or any Brahman-influenced breed, for that matter) where I'm now located - north of the TN line... but I may be wrong. Attended one of the KY/TN Select Heifer Sales, back during the summer, and the most impressive groups of heifers (to me, at least) that came through the ring were some BMxAN heifers. Man, they looked GOOD! And, with a black Simmental or a Charolais bull over 'em... I'll bet they'd produce some hellacious calves.

CB i hope you get that beefmaster bull at a good price.because i just talked to buddy that has 2 or 3 17 or 18 month old bulls for sale for $2500ea.

I know this doesn't answer your question but the March 2013 The Cattleman is a Beefmaster Showcase. How was that hunt??