beefmaster

Help Support CattleToday:

stable

Reaction score
Interested in breeding my hereford cows to a beefmaster bull. What do you think?

That's the cross that we're using right now, and the calves have been okay so far. His calves have been red M/F out of the Hereford females, and have weaned at an average of about ~500lbs. However, we weaned the last two at 7 mos and they were out of CharXHerf and CharXBrah cross cows. Big girls, and their weaned heifer calves are just as big. All of them have been sheathy with alot of ear though. Can't tell you how well they sell as we haven't sold any yet. Got a bull calf of his that's about ready to go, and he'll go with a red brangus bull calf at the same time, so it'll be interesting to see which one brings the most.

I don't think we'll go with a Beefmaster when we replace this guy, too many other breeds cross better with Herefords and market better to justify it. It was just that this bull was gentle for us beginners, he produces tiny calves that grow quickly and since the majority of our Herefords are first time calvers, he's been a great heifer bull, and he was inexpensive while we were trying to build a herd. He just worked for us at the time. Now that we are a little more versed though, I think that we'll cross with Angus/Brangus for commercial purposes and selectively AI with Hereford for replacements. Well, that's the plan anyway...........;)

stable":21jf8e1b said:
Interested in breeding my hereford cows to a beefmaster bull. What do you think?
stable":21jf8e1b said:
My farm is in Bucks County, PA
Depends on what you're after, in a way. Replacements or terminals. I would think it would be a bad choice for you for terminal calves. And probably an unnecessary one for replacements. I've got some cows from that cross and I like them a lot down here. A great maternal influence, but I don't think I'd want them in PA. If you decide to do it anyway, pay close attention to what TR said about the leather. Try to find one with a clean underline or else pass altogether.

My personal choice in your area would be to stick with the straight Herefords or use a good black Angus. I would think you could find either maternal and/or carcass lines in both breeds. Seems to me like that would give you a replacement that is better suited to your environment and/or a terminal calf that is more in demand in your area.

Stable, I live in up state NY and recently bought a beefmaster bull from Tenn. He isn't big enogh to breed but hes only 1 1/2 years old. I have researched all about the beefmaster breed and like what I have found out. So I think it would be a good thing to try. :lol:

Kevin sisson":3n1bhae1 said:
Stable, I live in up state NY and recently bought a beefmaster bull from Tenn. He isn't big enogh to breed but hes only 1 1/2 years old. I have researched all about the beefmaster breed and like what I have found out. So I think it would be a good thing to try. :lol:

Bull thats a year and half and not big enough to breed? Sounds like a hamburger canidate.

Kevin sisson":31lki7n8 said:
caustic Bruno, hes not a hamberger cannidate.
Kevin is correct, Caustic. If he's just a long yearling, he'd still be considered a cutting bull by many of us. Not a slaughter bull.

Texan":3cbs7oyf said:
Kevin sisson":3cbs7oyf said:
Kevin is correct, Caustic. If he's just a long yearling, he'd still be considered a cutting bull by many of us. Not a slaughter bull.

I with Caustic on this one if he is not big enough at a year and a half, he would grow wheels.

Texan":eoojo4bs said:
Kevin sisson":eoojo4bs said:

Texan my apologies your absolutely right cut him and when he straightens out put him the freezer.

Whatever he does with him, he'd probably better do it pretty quick. I imagine when that upstate New York winter gets here, the little bowed up Beefmaster bull will be trying to get under the electric blanket with him! ;-)

Campground Cattle":19b7z6yr said:
Texan":19b7z6yr said:
Kevin sisson":19b7z6yr said:

I with Caustic on this one if he is not big enough at a year and a half, he would grow wheels.

DITTO

Kevin,
You'll probably find come calving time this bull was more active than you thought. Beefmasters do their best work at night.

stable":3kyg31bm said:

I think the Beefmaster has a little too much Brahman (1/2) in him to do well in PA. I think if you want the hybrit vigar from a Brahman inflience bull go with the reg. Brangus which has only 3/8ths Brahman. When bred to a english breed like Hereford you would have less than 1/4 Brahman. I think you would like the replacement heifers. The black baldie steers will do well in any market. :D

Latest posts