Beefmaster

Help Support CattleToday:

greenwillowherefords":zq2rs3oo said:
I've heard nothing bad in years except some 140 pound birthweight problems, but that may have been an isolated case.
Which part of the cross do you think might be responsible for that?

dguess7":1cx7lg2q said:
What does everyone think of the Beefmaster breed? Pro's, Con's.

Cons:
The bulls I've seen tested were not efficient gainers. I haven't looked at the breed association page in a while, but last time I did, they seemed satisfied to be producing Select beef.

Pros:
Nolan Ryan Branded Beef. Some people like Brahman influence in their cowherd.

Texan":2a0pacyw said:
greenwillowherefords":2a0pacyw said:
I've heard nothing bad in years except some 140 pound birthweight problems, but that may have been an isolated case.
Which part of the cross do you think might be responsible for that?
Based on previous conversations with you, Texan, I don't know if you are being friendly or insinuating that it is the Hereford influence. Notice I tried to keep Herefords out of this discussion to spare you the aggravation. Since you ask, I don't think it is the Hereford influence, because the latest cross the breeds EPDs in the Genex catalog, the average Hereford EPD was only 3.3 heavier than that of Angus, and lower than any other breed listed. Based on the Genex table, I'd say it was the Brahman, as they are listed at 13.0 heavier than Angus. Good evening, and I hope this buries the hatchet that you've had raised over my writings!

greenwillowherefords":2ywqeuo6 said:
Based on previous conversations with you, Texan, I don't know if you are being friendly or insinuating that it is the Hereford influence.
I wasn't doing either, Willow. I thought it was clear that I asked your opinion based on your extensive experience with crossbreeding programs, and Beefmasters, in particular, having "some 140 pound birthweight problems."

.....I don't think it is the Hereford influence, because the latest cross the breeds EPDs in the Genex catalog, the average Hereford EPD was only 3.3 heavier than that of Angus, and lower than any other breed listed. Based on the Genex table, I'd say it was the Brahman, as they are listed at 13.0 heavier than Angus.
I'm trying very hard to learn something about exaggerated potential discrepancies (epd's) from you guys. Just when I thought I had it figured out, I read your post and get confused all over again! I thought they were intended to be used for comparisons within a breed? Now you're telling me that I can use them to compare breeds? And in a discussion concerning Beefmasters, I guess I don't understand your references to Angus. Would that be the new Black Beefmaster?
Good evening, and I hope this buries the hatchet that you've had raised over my writings!
Good morning to you, as well! The "hatchet" you refer to must be because I have challenged you to prove some of your claims. Does that bother you?

dun":10zgobiv said:
There are across breed EPDs for BW, YW, WW, and milk. Not all or for that matter, very many breeds are represented. But it's probably the most common ones used in crossbreeding programs excluding Brhman.
That's a great link! Thanks, Dun. So you think that's why Willow refers to the Angus? Because its the baseline in the comparisons? And maybe he's got a table that shows the Brahmans? How accurate are these comparisons?

dguess7":2lkkd7z6 said:
What does everyone think of the Beefmaster breed? Pro's, Con's.
I suppose it would be good to touch on the original question. :D
You will love them for a mama cow. Best calf-raisers we've got are the old Beefmasters. Consequently though, you might have some udder/teat problems after they get 9 or ten years old. At least, we have. Also some structural problems about the same time. Have had some trouble with ours because of too much "leather" in the calves. Some of the newer lines I've seen sure don't have that problem.

On a side note regarding another post, the largest calf I've ever had out of one was probably around 120#. That was out of a Simmental bull and I attribute the problem to him, but I may be wrong. The black calves out of them lately are more the size of rats.....

They are a good solid breed. All breeds have some problems but for Texas any American breed will work well and the Beefmasters are no exception.

An abnormally high BW is one of those things that can happen with any particular breeding. Some nicks are just given to problems. Years ago a client had a cow that when bred to one particular bull threw monsters while everyone else had little bitty things. Same cow bred to other bulls had calves the same size as all the others. A neighbor had a heifer that we bred to a bull that we had never seen a calf that even approached 70 lbs. 6 weeks early she had a dead heifer calf that was almost 100 pounds. Now if a cow or bull alwasy threw monsters or the majority of them were I never breed them again. The whole problem boils down to trying to figure out what mating will generate the onster. Especially when 99999 times out of 100000 there won't be a problem.
Genetics and ma nature, ain't they fun?

dun

I've got 4 Beefmaster cows now raising a calf each. They were my first cows, and they all delivered on time and are taking great care of the calf as far as I can tell. These cows are very gentle to be around, will eat out of your hand, and I have never felt in danger around them. They do seem to be big animals, but as stated, these were the first cows I have ever owned. The calves all seemed to be normal size, at least according to my neighbors, who all have angus/herefords/jerseys cows. .

dun":2zkb4vfo said:
There are across breed EPDs for BW, YW, WW, and milk. Not all or for that matter, very many breeds are represented. But it's probably the most common ones used in crossbreeding programs excluding Brhman.

Just added the 2004 numbers

dun

http://www.ext.vt.edu/news/periodicals/livestock/aps-04_08/aps-358.html

according to this a char cow will outmilk an angus now!
I've never been a charolis fan but they are working hard and overcomming many of thier shortcommings of the 70's & 80's

Hillbilly

You'll pay for that milk though. I'm sure everybodies charolais aren't as hard headed as the ones I've dealt with, but I had my fill.

Texan":3i10q0hs said:
greenwillowherefords":3i10q0hs said:
Based on previous conversations with you, Texan, I don't know if you are being friendly or insinuating that it is the Hereford influence.
I wasn't doing either, Willow. I thought it was clear that I asked your opinion based on your extensive experience with crossbreeding programs, and Beefmasters, in particular, having "some 140 pound birthweight problems."

.....I don't think it is the Hereford influence, because the latest cross the breeds EPDs in the Genex catalog, the average Hereford EPD was only 3.3 heavier than that of Angus, and lower than any other breed listed. Based on the Genex table, I'd say it was the Brahman, as they are listed at 13.0 heavier than Angus.
I'm trying very hard to learn something about exaggerated potential discrepancies (epd's) from you guys. Just when I thought I had it figured out, I read your post and get confused all over again! I thought they were intended to be used for comparisons within a breed? Now you're telling me that I can use them to compare breeds? And in a discussion concerning Beefmasters, I guess I don't understand your references to Angus. Would that be the new Black Beefmaster?
Good evening, and I hope this buries the hatchet that you've had raised over my writings!
Good morning to you, as well! The "hatchet" you refer to must be because I have challenged you to prove some of your claims. Does that bother you?
Angus is the baseline in the Genex chart. The catalog was sent to me about 2 weeks ago, and is named "Genetic Management Guide." That is why I was referring to Angus. The birthweight problems I mentioned were in one herd, but I have not been involved with Beefmasters at all. I have raised purebred Herefords with the exception of a super-baldie cross in my teenage years. My grandfather and uncle raised a Hereford-based commercial herd next door to me in my growing-up years. The crosses in this were Brangus, Limi, and Angus. My cousin raises Beefmasters and loves them. I was in no way insinuating that there was a wide-spread problem of any sort. Genex website:http://www.crinet.com ....The hatchet was primarily jumping down my throat to keep quiet about Herefords after I had already censored myself. Frankie and I have gotten past our early disagreements, and I hope you and I can as well.

greenwillowherefords":2k21wfu4 said:
Frankie and I have gotten past our early disagreements, and I hope you and I can as well.
Sounds like a deal to me! I'll look to Frankie for guidance...... ;-)

I have two Beefmaster heifers that I am going to breed to my Hereford bull. I bought them because they seem to be the best momma cow around. I knew the momma of one of these heifers and she was about as tame as a Hereford. They are the most popular breed around here behind the Angus and Charolais. The only complaints that I hear is they get discounted at the sale barn for too much ear and loose skin. Most of the Beefmaster breeders that I know adhere to the Lasater philosophy and dont feed their cattle nothing but hay, salt, and grass, and never worm or vaccinate their cows and they perform fine. The only cooperative marketing groups in my state are for Angus(and Angus cross) cattle and Beefmaster cattle. A lot of people in my neck of the woods are sayin' that the sale barn is gonna play out in the next decade and they I need to get into a marketing cooperative. I wish the Hereford people had a direct marketing program here.

I was considering running a beefmaster bull on my commercial herd to retain heifers . I then plan to use these replacement as recieps for our ET program . What does everyone think about this . My commercial herd is a cross of braham X simi,and angus and some limi cross back on them . some are red and some are sandyor black with white faces. all are pretty much a 3 way cross and are very good cows. In fact i wish i could find alot more like the ones i already have , they are excellent moma cows.

Bush /Cheney 2004

My brother raises registered beefmasters; Country Heritage Beefmasters. My observations are this; The cows lay down and calf and the calfs get up and grow. Very good mamas. He raises his on grass only.

Latest posts