Beefmaster X Char or BM X Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

RazorbackRed

Reaction score
Anyone out there have experience with either one of these crosses? I bought two registered beefmasters to keep as mommas in my commercial herd. I run an angus bull over half my herd and a char bull over the other half. I bought the beefmasters because I think they make good mommas and I just like the looks of them plain and simple. For a terminal cross which bull should I put them in with?

I have the opposite of what you are trying to do. I have Angus cross mommas with a registered bull. We like the cross. The calves are smaller than the full blood Beefmaster at birth, but they grow like bad weeds!

A gentleman here runs a Char Bull on Beefmaster cows an gets a tan yellow calve. He hauls his calves to Lewis stockyards at Conway or Batesville Stockyards at Charlotte and they ring the bell there. That seems to be a very good cross.

I run a registerd charolais bull over beefmaster cows,have done so for over 15 years. I get yellow calves with just a touch of leather.I have no grips or regrets. I bought 15 Charolais heifers in December, I also bought grey Brahman bull,that i'm planning on (if someone dont talk me out of it) putting over them.

Beefmaster X Angus works great both ways. We produce 100's/year. We use them as Replacement Females, Commercial Bulls, E6's, F1's, and Terminal Crosses. The heterosis/hybird vigor is excellent. Either way, you won't be disappointed.

Run the Char bull to produce more pounds. If you choose well, your birthweights won't be scary and you'll wean sure enough nice calves to take to the barn. Those yellow steers will command a premium.

Run an Angus bull and you could potentially rake in some cash with the females. You'd get the black hide of the Angus on a thick-made beefmaster type heifer. Your steers should still sell good..again the black hide of the Angus with the growth, thickness, and muscling that a Beefmaster brings to the table. By growth, I don't mean frame...I'm talking about natural thickness that produces weight.

Either way, you should have a nice crossbred calf that will be weaned to potential by the mother cow. Good luck.

EC

Fella down the road has beefmaster bulls on his rainbow herd. I've seen them crossed to Brangus, Hereford, Angus, and Charolais.......... the herefords had a hard time calving, prolapses and pulled calves, he finally culled them all out.

He got red and gold colored calves from the charolais and they were very nice I thought, but then I like a thick beefy looking calf. My suggestion would be charolais. If you kept a heifer from the cross then breed it to the angus.

oscar p":c2w7mxw3 said:
I run a registerd charolais bull over beefmaster cows,have done so for over 15 years. I get yellow calves with just a touch of leather.I have no grips or regrets. I bought 15 Charolais heifers in December, I also bought grey Brahman bull,that i'm planning on (if someone dont talk me out of it) putting over them.

I will try; brahmaxcharolais means crazy and dangerous cattle says many breeders albeit there are no such crosses where i live ( lots of chars, no brahmas here)

Thanks, Anazazi. Your right.There are some crazy charolais cattle,and a lot of crazy brahman cattle. I hand picked these heifers, they are all gentle, and manageable.I had 1 get goofy on me, when I vaccinated her.She won her self a ticket to the salebarn. The Brahman bull is a V8 bull, halter broke and broke to lay down,But is still a bull. I think I'll take my chances.

just curious as to why you refer to this cross as a terminal cross..is it that you aren't keeping heifers? "terminal cross" to me means the generation after an F1 mating...anyway both crosses will make fine calves especially for the south...i partial to the char cross, but would surely consider keeping the heifers if it were repolacements i was after...

xbred":r1wqrt22 said:
just curious as to why you refer to this cross as a terminal cross..is it that you aren't keeping heifers? "terminal cross" to me means the generation after an F1 mating...anyway both crosses will make fine calves especially for the south...i partial to the char cross, but would surely consider keeping the heifers if it were repolacements i was after...

A terminal cross simply means that all calves will go to slaughter and nothing will be kept for breeding. They can be F1s, purebreds, Heinz 57 or whatever.

RazorbackRed":1e6azcp8 said:
Anyone out there have experience with either one of these crosses? I bought two registered beefmasters to keep as mommas in my commercial herd. I run an angus bull over half my herd and a char bull over the other half. I bought the beefmasters because I think they make good mommas and I just like the looks of them plain and simple. For a terminal cross which bull should I put them in with?
I've got a charolaisxbeefmaster cow with a club calf bull on her side, nothing wrong with her maternal at all.

Latest posts