Beefmaster or Santa Gertrudis

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I was looking at chaging my head into straight Beefmaster or Santa Gertrudis but don't know how well the market is for them any in-site would be great

You can get a good Gert bull for less than half the price of an average Beefmaster. And you can get a great Gert bull for less than half the price of a good Beefmaster. I like Beefmaster as well but pound for pound they are probably most expensive cattle there is around these parts.

I like both breeds and they would work with about any other breed to cross. I like Gert Hereford or Gert Angus cross. Beefmaster Angus is a good cross and both breeds will do good with a Charolais bull.

You want to raise registered Gerts or Beefmasters? Or raise purebred commercial? Like people have said, Beefmasters sell better, and are more expensive to buy. So, the cattle you sell would bring more if they are Beefmaster. Higher initial cost for the cows and bull or semen, but more profit from the calves. The hay, feed, meds, wormer, truck, trailer, fencing etc....inputs.. would be the same no matter the breed.

Gerts used to prolapse as much or more than any breed I remember. Herefords were a 2nd. I'd go Beefmaster and be sure they can bring in good rear muscling in your pick.

Ever get any contact information? I am very interested also
Hi southalberta.

I believe you can contact him through the links. I was more interested too see if he had a website. We have Bonsmara in Australia and I recently visited a breeder. Very nice animals.

Are Droughtmaster still pretty common Down Under?
Hey Greybeard.

Yes Droughtmaster is very common here in Australia.
Droughtmaster is seventh in Australia for breed numbers of registered cattle.
I'm in southern Australia so very few Droughtmaster here.
I've been seeing large numbers of Droughtmaster Speckled Park cross cattle being sold. That cross has become very popular.
You probably know Droughtmaster is the Australian version of Beefmaster.

Latest posts