beefmaster or limo

Help Support CattleToday:

Phenotype is the physical traits. genotype is the genes they carry.

example: a black cow is a carrier for the red gene.
phenotype is black, genotype is Bb. (she possesses one gene for black (B) and one gene for red (b))

I agree with Ryder the climate in your part of the US is not that of an animal with pendulous ears and slick hair is not the way to go, Beefies are known usually for their temperment being very docile. Beefies thrive in better down here where the humitity and the temperature are equall year round... 95 - 100 degrees/percent...besides that you don't want the cattle in the surounding pasture to make fun of their big ear, their hump and all that loose skin....

Beefy":z3hq9kyq said:
Phenotype is the physical traits. genotype is the genes they carry.

example: a black cow is a carrier for the red gene.
phenotype is black, genotype is Bb. (she possesses one gene for black (B) and one gene for red (b))

Thanks!! :)

Franseen was very right. My dad raised Limos and Limo crosses till my mom had her brain surgery and sold them just in case she didn't come out ok (she is doing great). He had no complaints with them (best cows he ever had) We have a limousine bull and two cows mixed in with our herd. They are great producers and quite calm.

We have herefords and and angus crosses right now and they are fine. I will have to say that our Herefords stay quite fat without being babied. I have noticed that our angusXhereford calves don't get very large so we have gotten a limousine for the heifers and a Brahman for the older cows. I do think you are a little too far up north to have the brahman influence though.

bubchub":1cmiab10 said:
I have noticed that our angusXhereford calves don't get very large so we have gotten a limousine for the heifers

Don't put a Lim on heifers ..... Just my opinion ..... we use angus or Red Poll.

Wewild":wl1xoak0 said:
bubchub":wl1xoak0 said:
I have noticed that our angusXhereford calves don't get very large so we have gotten a limousine for the heifers

Don't put a Lim on heifers ..... Just my opinion .....

I'll second the heck out of that one!

Once again still up after checking for calves. I understand why you may say don't use a Limousin bull on heifers. He needs to have good calving ease traits. Just like any other breed. Some heavy muscled Limousin bulls will give you a more difficult calving animal. However as far as many breeds go Limousin can calf real easy. Pick a bull to use on heifers that calves easily. A live calf that grows poorly generates more money than a dead calf that had great potential.

franseen":18kt3wle said:
Once again still up after checking for calves. I understand why you may say don't use a Limousin bull on heifers. He needs to have good calving ease traits. Just like any other breed. Some heavy muscled Limousin bulls will give you a more difficult calving animal. However as far as many breeds go Limousin can calf real easy. Pick a bull to use on heifers that calves easily. A live calf that grows poorly generates more money than a dead calf that had great potential.

That is why we buy a disposable angus to breed to our heifers. We aren't worried about the calf ..... except that she has it .... raises it .... and we sell it.

Next time she'll be ready for the Lim.

ga. prime":2h4szn0n said:
msscamp, did that dog in your avatar win the top prize for working dogs at the Houston Dog Show today?

absolutely!! :) :) I'm working on another avatar! ;-)

kid":ne3iw3g1 said:
Newbie here looking for advice.

I am seriously considering getting into raising beef but Im not sure whats what. My parents have a farm that has about 48 acres of fields and 46 acres of pasture that isnt being used. I have 3 young kids. Which breed would be a better money maker, and have good temperment with kids.
Kid Newbie: I deduct that you have about 46 acres of pasture for your cattle. Are you raising your own feed (hay, etc) or buying what you need? Are you considering beef cattle for your kids as FFA or 4H projects or are you planning to raise BEEF for terminal reasons (to send to feedlot), or as a small Purebred (Registered) Herd? These questions and others should be considered prior to your decision as to which BREED to embrace - and embrace them you must to be successful in the business. It is not a kid's game if you have no experience in Cattle Management Practices, Know what you are getting into before you invest your capital funds.

franseen":p2f2icd7 said:
I have heard all of the problems about Limousin cattle being hard to handle. As a breeder of Limousin cattle I completely understand them. However you don't have to buy wild Limousin cattle. I would hope no Limuosin breeder who wants the breed to advance would sell them as breeding stock. We had some bad ones from the herd we bought to start out with. However with careful consideration we culled any animals with docility problems. Any bulls we used we look very heavily at their docility epd. When we kept a bull to use we kept him not only because of phenotype and genotype. He was from a very easy going cow and was very gentle himself. Limousin cattle can be very docile. Any Limousin breeder that tells you they can't be wild is lying. But docility is something progressive Limousin breeders have been keeping a close eye on for a long time. Plus the Limousin breed can give you some great advantages. If you want cattle that are well muscled, very efficient and a great cross on Angus cows Limousin cattle are a good place to look. All breeds have their faults. Breeders have to work to correct them.
Well said, Franseen. It has been said that there can be greater differences between individuals within any single breed than can be found between GOOD individuals of most breeds. It all depends upon your GOALS and your handling technics.

I grew up with Limousin and enjoyed my experience with them immensely. There are nervous cattle in every breed, but Limousin is the only one to address the problem with docility EPDs. Using these numbers in your selection will help you find cattle that are very safe for your children to be around. Your area has several good Limousin breeders ( I believe Franseen sent you a list) where you could select some cattle with good genetics that will be profitable in your environment.

Wewild wrote:

bubchub wrote:

Don't put a Lim on heifers ..... Just my opinion .....

I'll second the heck out of that one!

Limousin is one of the easiest calving continental breeds. The calves are small, smooth and slim when they are born and grow quickly after that. I actually have several testimonials from commercial producers stating calving ease and livability rates as their reasons for using Limousin over Charolais, Simmental and Gelbvieh. I trust the people who calve out 1000+ cows per year.

Best of luck as you consider your options and make a decision!

Of the 2 i would say beefmaster for sure! They are famous for their disposition and docility. Definately not limos with kids around.

But outside of those 2 choice, i would go with herefords

Latest posts