beefmaster or limo

Help Support CattleToday:

kid

Reaction score
Newbie here looking for advice.

I am seriously considering getting into raising beef but Im not sure whats what. My parents have a farm that has about 48 acres of fields and 46 acres of pasture that isnt being used. I have 3 young kids. Which breed would be a better money maker, and have good temperment with kids.

Between those two choices I think Beefmaster would be better, limos have a reputation for being difficult. But would choose another breed for your area Black Baldies would do well and bring good money on sale day.

If I was you I would not use limo's for sure, beefmaster maybe. You might want to look into the British White Parks. They are very docial, I know their are alot of other breeds you could consider, Herford, Murry Gray, ect.

I keep herefords for the very reason you are asking. I have young kids, they are very little help at this point but around all the time. lol (they should be) Herefords are by and large gentle easy to work and you can breed them back to a angus bull get black baldies, which sell well.
The quickest way to leave my place is to not be workable, I would rather loose money than a kid, lol I grew up workin them and my kids will to.

Good luck, you will not need to have that dreaded sex talk with cattle if you kids are around they sort of fill in the blanks. :lol:

MD

If you're going to let your kids get around the cows, Herefords are the way to go. Or Shorthorn. Definitely not Limo. Beefmaster, maybe.

redfornow":2gqpcyb0 said:
I keep herefords for the very reason you are asking. I have young kids, they are very little help at this point but around all the time. lol (they should be) Herefords are by and large gentle easy to work and you can breed them back to a angus bull get black baldies, which sell well.
The quickest way to leave my place is to not be workable, I would rather loose money than a kid, lol I grew up workin them and my kids will to.

Good luck, you will not need to have that dreaded sex talk with cattle if you kids are around they sort of fill in the blanks. :lol:

MD
AMEN!

i come from back there & i don't think either of those breeds would sell good there. best bet would be hereford or angus. i you get hereford cross with angus. if you have angus cross with hereford. herefords are the best for kids cause they are gentler. black baldies are the highest selling back there

Dad had a hereford bull when I was a kid. My brothers and I named him Sam. He would wait by the gate for us to stop and pet him when we got home from school. Still kinda miss that 'ol guy. I also like angus and baldies. Just remember that anything/anyone short is liable to get took at calving time. My cows are all good natured but have to watch that the kids don't get hurt when the cows have new calves.

My father was a Herford only farmer, but since I've taken over the operation I have experimented w/ several different breeds. Angus and Herford are my personal favorite. They are generally easy to work and bring good money at the sale. An Angus bull will give the cow a smaller calf which means less calving problems. Charolois is not a good choice for children and a Charolois bull on Angus or Herford cows is a big no no. I bought 14 Limo's this year and so far they have been real gentle and fairly easy to work. They are all red limo, but the two black Limo have been nothing but trouble. I've only had one Beefmaster Herford cross cow. She was fine. I have a few 1/4 Holstein 1/4 Herford 1/2 Angus cows. They raise good calves, but if the calf looks to much like a Holstein then it will cost you at the sale barn due to the time it takes them to fill out in the feed lots. These are my opions of the breeds from my own experience. I hope this helps you in your decision making. Another thing I due is never buy cows that I'm going to keep from a sale barn. I always buy cows that I can look at in their pasture.

Of the two, Beefmaster. They do have some Hereford influence. I recommend Herefords or baldies, which would be a Hereford crossed with red or black Angus, or pretty much any other breed. Look in the Cattle Sales Board for a good source of some cows that could really perform for you.

Copenhagen & Shiner B":2sk10rxm said:
redfornow":2sk10rxm said:

MD
AMEN!
We've never had a Hereford with an Attitude ever. Sometimes they get in your way being so docile and gentle,Good natured around the Kids too. Our Beefmasters are close to the same way.We have a couple of Simmentals out there, I'd never let my kids near.Kids of course have to be watched around anything, but my vote for Docility goes to hereford Cattle.

I have heard all of the problems about Limousin cattle being hard to handle. As a breeder of Limousin cattle I completely understand them. However you don't have to buy wild Limousin cattle. I would hope no Limuosin breeder who wants the breed to advance would sell them as breeding stock. We had some bad ones from the herd we bought to start out with. However with careful consideration we culled any animals with docility problems. Any bulls we used we look very heavily at their docility epd. When we kept a bull to use we kept him not only because of phenotype and genotype. He was from a very easy going cow and was very gentle himself. Limousin cattle can be very docile. Any Limousin breeder that tells you they can't be wild is lying. But docility is something progressive Limousin breeders have been keeping a close eye on for a long time. Plus the Limousin breed can give you some great advantages. If you want cattle that are well muscled, very efficient and a great cross on Angus cows Limousin cattle are a good place to look. All breeds have their faults. Breeders have to work to correct them.

WOW, thank you ALL for taking your time to help me with this. Im still not exactly sure, but you guys all gave me a lot of good information I need to sit down and think about it all.

I really do appreciate it, wishing you all the best of everything.
Thanks.

redfornow":2w5heerw said:

MD

Just one more benefit of growing up around cattle! :)

franseen":bmc407gg said:
When we kept a bull to use we kept him not only because of phenotype and genotype.

There is that word again! Am I correct in thinking that 'phenotype' is body structure and 'genotype' is temperament traits? Thanks for the help!! :)