Beefmaster Herd Bulls (Pictures)

Help Support CattleToday:

East Caney

Reaction score
I made a trip to Buster Beefmasters in Oologah, OK this weekend to visit a friend. As always, I took the camera with me. He has purchased bulls from the Lasater Ranch each of the past five years. I've pictured the bulls and their performance below. I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Lasater2079.jpg

Lasater 2079 - Purchased in 2004 - WW Ratio 119 - YW Ratio 112 (Pictured at 5 yrs)

Lasater3279Zulu.jpg

Lasater 3279 - Purchased in 2005 - WW Ratio 109 - YW Ratio 106 (Pictured at 5 yrs)

Lasater4024.jpg

Lasater 4024 - Purchased in 2005 - WW Ratio 112 - YW Ratio 107 (Pictured at 5 yrs)

Tigger.jpg

Lasater 5021 - Purchased in 2007 - WW Ratio 112 - YW Ratio 110 (Pictured at 4 yrs)

Clarence3.jpg

Lasater 6216 - Purchased in 2008 - WW Ratio 111 - YW Ratio 108 (Pictured at 3 yrs)

Hope you enjoyed the photos.

EC

Frankie":nu7cpuxq said:
A black Lasater Beefmaster bull? I never would have thought it. :eek:

Wild color gene. That bull has never had a calf born black...some do turn black, brindle, roan, or any other color pattern one could imagine with a wild color gene.

those are some fine looking beefmaster bulls.do you ever take pics of busters cows.id love to see some pics of his cows.

bigbull338":166mjdy3 said:
those are some fine looking beefmaster bulls.do you ever take pics of busters cows.id love to see some pics of his cows.

I did take pictures of some cows, heifers, and calves. I'll post them in a separate post.

Bigbull,

Here are some pictures of cows like you requested...they're all from my most recent trip.

DSCN4273.jpg

DSCN4275.jpg

DSCN4301.jpg

DSCN4343.jpg

DSCN4374.jpg

DSCN4383.jpg

SC502.jpg

thanks for posting pics of his cows.he has a real fine set of fleshy beefmaster cows.loved that pic of the calf sucking momma.

on RFD last night they had the spotlight on Beefmasters. If I lived down south I would have those cattle, I really liked them.

northtexas":u08s3i61 said:
You are a very good cattle photographer. I have always had a soft spot for Beefmasters. I like the bulls.

Thanks. You can also be a good photographer....All you need to do is piss your wife off and take the camera that was given to her for Mother's Day. Then, remember to snap a LOT of pictures. I probably discard 2 or 3 photos for each photo I keep.

EC

bigbull338":22c7wsws said:
thanks for posting pics of his cows.he has a real fine set of fleshy beefmaster cows.loved that pic of the calf sucking momma.

That's one of his two year old first calf heifers. She's running with that coming 3 yr old red mottle face bull.

EC

East Caney":1xkbpzy6 said:
northtexas":1xkbpzy6 said:
You are a very good cattle photographer. I have always had a soft spot for Beefmasters. I like the bulls.

Thanks. You can also be a good photographer....All you need to do is be nice your wife off and take the camera that was given to her for Mother's Day. Then, remember to snap a LOT of pictures. I probably discard 2 or 3 photos for each photo I keep.

EC

East Caney, I do the same thing. My wife gets steamed when she pulls up the CF card and there is 100 pictures of cows :lol2: Those are some really nice looking cows.

Australian":1m7xd1tq said:
What a beautiful lot of cattle. Very good conformation and stacks of beef. Tell us again how is the Beefmaster bred?
Thanks Colin

According to Tom Lasater, founder of the Beefmaster breed, Beefmasters are composed of slightly less than 50% Brahman with the balance evely divided between Hereford and Shorthorn. Many folks say 1/2 Brahman, 1/4 Hereford, and 1/4 Shorthorn, but that's not completely accurate.

EC

Australian":21s3kj3y said:
They are somewhat similar to Australia's Droughtmaster but without the Hereford. The Droughtmaster was selected for conformation and colour. No brindles allowed. Thanks for the info.

That could open a whole can of worms with Beefmaster breeders. When Tom Lasater founded the breed, he was particular that the color of the hide of an animal was in no way related to the quality of an animal. Because it was not considered "essential" for profit, it was not a part of the six essentials. That is why Beefmasters can be found in all colors.

Some Beefmaster breeders believe there is more profit in producing solid red Beefmasters. Some have even turned black by breeding up or by continuallly selecting for black. I believe that adding to the selection criteria (red, black, polled, etc.) can quickly turn into single trait selection and hurt the quality of the breed. I can't bring myself to pass on a red mottle face bull of higher quality than a solid red polled bull...just not my style. But, I also prefer cattle with a more moderate frame than the average. Further, when looking at performance and EPDs, I'm not bothered at all by a bull with performance ratios from 95%-100%. I don't mind EPDs slightly less than the average. I believe the breed as a whole has become so obsessed with chasing EPDs, they've begun to pay less attention to the mature size of the females in the herd. I would rather raise 550-lb calves from 1,000-lb cows than 650-lb calves from 1,300-lb cows...that's just me.

I'll step down off my soap box now and leave with this thought: To each his own. It's my money, my cows, and my operation...I suspect I'll run it with my kind of cattle that fit my style. :cowboy:

Latest posts