Beefmaster heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

wacocowboy

Reaction score

Thoughts on these girls. They were born in November to December of 2015. Posted them for sale was thinking if I don't get the offer I want my AI them. Leaning towards using Double L.

ive got these for sale..bout a month older now...look real nice for replacements....cant get 1500 ea for em. all purebred beefmasters without papers..dam and sire on site and I either get lowballs or ridiculous offers..i mean 1500 ea or 4000 for all 3 seems reasonable...they aint salebarn junk
so what yall think...I been insulted so many times on the price this place cant be worse.

Look at what your local sale barn price was for that size heifer last week and add 10% to it. Without papers the heifers are just sale barn number one's at best. Now if you get them safe in calf their value will increase by 50% or more.
Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Would you be willing to pay $1,500 for those heifers?

ii totally understand what youre saying..i actually don't figure to sell them...I posted them for a response. the thought was how is Waco or any of the guys on that cattle sale page getting this kind of number
no I wouldn't pay that for em but if someone wants to buy em ill sell em for that!

Honestly, I question the percentage of people that get their advertised price on CL or Cattle Range, particularly for cows and heifers. I think most expect to negotiate, and some people are just sucker fishing with the crazy prices they ask. I see 6+ year old open, commercial, cows here listed for $2000+.
Being from an entirely different area of the country, I'm not speaking of anything referenced in this post. I'm just speaking in general, of what I've seen around here.

dieselbeef":wlnvbsc0 said:
ive got these for sale..bout a month older now...look real nice for replacements....cant get 1500 ea for em. all purebred beefmasters without papers..dam and sire on site and I either get lowballs or ridiculous offers..i mean 1500 ea or 4000 for all 3 seems reasonable...they aint salebarn junk
so what yall think...I been insulted so many times on the price this place cant be worse.

I just sold a full sister to the light red heifer you can see in the last photo for $1200 and she was 8 months bred. I hope I get $1200 to $1500 for the light red one. Their mom is a purebred Beefmaster but I don't have papers on her so I get less for her calves. I wish I could get the paper work on her she raises nice heifers.

dieselbeef":1lybm4w0 said:
ii totally understand what youre saying..i actually don't figure to sell them...I posted them for a response. the thought was how is Waco or any of the guys on that cattle sale page getting this kind of number
no I wouldn't pay that for em but if someone wants to buy em ill sell em for that!

Have you looked at registered heifers they are still up there. I saw those two ads and used them for comps. I am going to a registered sale on the 15th and see what those heifers bring compared to what I am asking. If need I can drop my prices.

Just me, but I wouldn't pay more than $1500 for open reg heifers. But so far I haven't found any to buy in that range and close enough to drive. What Waco is asking is what sellers are trying to get. Also beefmaster girls go quick so I dunno what the actual selling price is. If they were medium to heavy bred, I would understand asking around $2k. At the sales, a cheap open heifer goes for north of $2k.

I went heifer crazy last year. Kept several, and bought several. Went almost as overboard this year. I ended up selling several bred heifers (partly was the plan anyway). People will pony up for a fancy bred heifer. It's hard for me to get people excited about an open commercial heifer. If you think about, they come through the yard everyday.

The state puts on a bred heifer sale here. They only let their cronies in it though. It kinda rubs me wrong to be honest. I understand their point though. If the supply is too high, it'll drive the price down on the sale. They like to pat each other on the back, and congratulate each other on helping the producer with value added marketing. They love that phrase. I can hear them say it now. Anyway, long story short, I usually start with twice as many as I need, and sell half. People seem to like the "I got too many approach". They can pick the ones they want for one price, or I'll pick for them at a cheaper price. If I kept them all, I wouldn't care. I liked enough to either keep em or buy em, so no skin off my teeth. Never have advertised, and don't plan to. You might give the approach a try.

Bigfoot":2z0soy95 said:
I went heifer crazy last year. Kept several, and bought several. Went almost as overboard this year. I ended up selling several bred heifers (partly was the plan anyway). People will pony up for a fancy bred heifer. It's hard for me to get people excited about an open commercial heifer. If you think about, they come through the yard everyday.

The state puts on a bred heifer sale here. They only let their cronies in it though. It kinda rubs me wrong to be honest. I understand their point though. If the supply is too high, it'll drive the price down on the sale. They like to pat each other on the back, and congratulate each other on helping the producer with value added marketing. They love that phrase. I can hear them say it now. Anyway, long story short, I usually start with twice as many as I need, and sell half. People seem to like the "I got too many approach". They can pick the ones they want for one price, or I'll pick for them at a cheaper price. If I kept them all, I wouldn't care. I liked enough to either keep em or buy em, so no skin off my teeth. Never have advertised, and don't plan to. You might give the approach a try.
I was wanting to take a similar approach this year. I haven't had luck as I stated earlier w beefmaster, so I have been shopping brafords. Let the bull do some work and maybe keep or sale bred later.

Latest posts