beefmaster disadvantages

Help Support CattleToday:

Anonymous":1exs47xj said:
metwhmh":1exs47xj said:
What are some disadvantages of the Beefmaster cattle breed?

you mean sheathmasters?
If you won't Identify yourself, don't criticize the different breeds.

la4angus

Lloyd Aylsworth

Anonymous":m6soyd75 said:
Anonymous":m6soyd75 said:
metwhmh":m6soyd75 said:
What are some disadvantages of the Beefmaster cattle breed?

you mean sheathmasters?
If you won't Identify yourself, don't criticize the different breeds.

la4angus

Lloyd Aylsworth

My name is Ben Jones. He asked for disadvantages and I gave him one.

THey can get docked at salebarns for having too much brahman influence since they are 1/2 brahman. (increased weaning weights usually make up for this)

they can have pendulous sheaths b/c of hte brahman, but this has been reduced by utilizing hte underline score and selective breeding.

i have heard of some bloodlines that have fertility problems; this doesnt surprise me considering the quantity of milk they produce and the size calves they wean. but we've never had fertility problems with ours. if you practice cullign late calvers and keep your most fertile cows then fertility shouldnt be a problem with any breed, provided they have adequate nutrition.

Lack of color uniformity is considered a disadvantage to some people. B/C color is not important, it was not taken into consideration when founding the breed. although most are red or dark red, colors range from dun, to roan, to paint, black, grey, mottled, white face, you name it. Personally, this is one of the traits i like about the breed b/c it makes calving time interesting. especially if you crossbreed beefmasters.

ANother disadvantage is they are too darn smart. I often get asked the question "how smart are cows?" to which i reply "Cows are smart enough to get out but too dumb to get back in."

this is all i can come up with at the moment. as you can see there are no substantial disadvantages. There will be variation within any breed.

There are variations within breeds. Two weaknesses of the Beefmaster breed are feed efficiency and quality grade. We used to see Beefmaster bulls on test at our test station and they didn't gain well. The Beefmaster web site stresses Select quality grade beef. The price difference in Select and Choice beef varies, but is generally $7-12 cwd. On a 700 lb. carcass, that's important to a low of beef producers.

Adelagrasa,i no you have a lot of experance with diffrent breeds.i was wondering why you dont like beefmasters? and would you give me your oppinioun on the santa-cruzz and american breeds. thanks.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Tc

with all the respect to all the of the different opinions that could exists in this board, here is mine

A-
I use to have a 100 head herd of registered Beefmasters (they were included with a 1000 acres farm I bought years ago) and I sold most of them and the ones that weren't sold formed part of my commercial herd. I consider Beefmasters as the true Commercial breed. Beefmasters is a three way cross of Brahman (or any bos Indicus breed), Shorthorn and Hereford (1/2 Brahman-1/4 Shorthorn-1/4 Hereford) and as far as I know many breeders are infusing Red Angus, Limousin, even Red Simmental and/or Gelvieh blood in them to have a true Red and better Beefmaster instead of those sometimes multicolor and nice Beefmasters we use to see years ago.

With the appearance of the Santa Cruz (I like Santa Gertrudis and still breed them in the coastal shoreline of the Gulf of Mexico just South of the tropic of Cancer) composite the real perfect Commercial breed begans it's history. (with all the respect to the King Ranch people where we bought our first Gerts 25 years ago).

Where in the world does hybrid vigor appears in a 3 or 4 composite breed Bull if you were going to use it with commercial Cows, so that's why I considered those two breeds as true Commercial Breeds.

Even if Beefmaster cows are good in a comercial basis, I think that the ideal mixture for commercial cattle is a cross of Simbrah-Brangus, Simbrah-Angus or Brangus-Simmental, than these cows should be crossbred with any of the terminal breeds, I prefer Limousin or Romagnola less calving problems.

B-
American registered breeds are mainly Brahman composites and think that the best one is Simbrah "The All Purpose American Breed" follow up by Brangus (Red or Black).

The other recognize composites not breeds that make good cows are Red and/or Black Baldies and Tigerstripes

Anonymous":1jpcru52 said:
AdelaGarza,i no you have a lot of experance with diffrent breeds.i was wondering why you dont like beefmasters? and would you give me your oppinioun on the santa-cruzz and american breeds. thanks.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Tc

i was refering to the regstered breed called'' american'' they are 1/2 brama 1/4 char 1/8 buflo 1/16 herf 1/16 shorhorn from art jones ranch in new mexico. anyway, thanks for your answer.~~~~~~~~~~Tc

Tc":2atwgzsn said:
i was refering to the regstered breed called'' american'' they are 1/2 brama 1/4 char 1/8 buflo 1/16 herf 1/16 shorhorn from art jones ranch in new mexico. anyway, thanks for your answer.~~~~~~~~~~Tc

Where did you find about this New Breed?
I am curious.

Ellie May":39dh86l5 said:
OH I read about that breed in a cattle book. I can get the name if you want it.
Ellie May

Thanks Ellie May

I would appreciate it if you would get the name of
the book for me.

Lloyd

It's "A Field Guide To Cows" How to Identify And Appereciate America's 52 Breeds. It's got alot of interesting facts. It mentions the American Breed on page 119. (It's 1/2 Zebu and 1/8 each of Charolais, Hereford, Shorthorn, and Bison)
Hope this helps!
Ellie May

its not new .go to ok st.u. breeds of livestoke.they have most of the cattle breeds in the world listed there.~~~~~~~~~~Tc

Ellie May":2hgdcudt said:
It's "A Field Guide To Cows" How to Identify And Appereciate America's 52 Breeds. It's got alot of interesting facts. It mentions the American Breed on page 119. (It's 1/2 Zebu and 1/8 each of Charolais, Hereford, Shorthorn, and Bison)
Hope this helps!
Ellie May

Thanks

i want to now wich would breed would be best if you starting a commercial herd and why.

Wahtever sells the best in your area that still maintaines the appropriate size for your forage base.

dun

cleav":19brqcc1 said:
i want to now wich would breed would be best if you starting a commercial herd and why.

Latest posts