Beefmaster Cow x Black Angus Bull What Bloodlines

Help Support CattleToday:

circlebarB

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before Im going to cross my beefmaster heifers 8 fullblood but not registered going with blk angus bull what bloodlines in the bull are best to look for. With a small heard now i can AI or purchase a bull and what should I breed the offspring too.

Beefmaster cows are made to lay down and have a calf and raise it right, in my experience. Unless you are going for huge framed Angus, most any bloodline should do just fine. We have been pleased with the beefmaster/angus calves we have bred. Our bull is from Gardiner Angus Ranch bloodlines (GAR) and is a son of 50/50. We only crossbreed. Have not run into any issues calving with the Angus calves on a wide variety of cows. If you are crossbreeding, then you would want to breed the resulting heifers to something else (not Angus, not beefmaster).

circlebarB":15gbb04t said:
I know this has been discussed before Im going to cross my beefmaster heifers 8 fullblood but not registered going with blk angus bull what bloodlines in the bull are best to look for. With a small heard now i can AI or purchase a bull and what should I breed the offspring too.

Where are you located makes a huge difference in what you haul to the barn.

Spent the bulk of my practice career working with Beefmaster cattle - but when some of my clients made the change and started breeding away from the Brahman influence, best calves I saw out of those BM cows were sired by Simmental bulls. I have no doubt that BM, Sim, and Angus have all changed over the past 25 years, but if I were going to a black non-Brahman-influenced breed, I'd probably be looking at using a black Simmental bull over those BM cows.

circlebarB":3kh8m7k7 said:
I can go to Raywood or Crockett

That is a long haul that is both ends of the spectrum.
Then you know the only continental bull that sells well in this neck of the woods is Char.
See quite a few CharX BM crosses they sell well you have already stated Angus that is a great cross as well for this area.
I just don't see AIing working out well for you unless you do it yourself by the time you haul them or have the tech come out here.
Then there are going to be those that don't take.
I think if it were me I would get a Beefmaster bull and sell heifers for a premium. They are always in demand.

Lucky_P":1r0h2q3r said:
Spent the bulk of my practice career working with Beefmaster cattle - but when some of my clients made the change and started breeding away from the Brahman influence, best calves I saw out of those BM cows were sired by Simmental bulls. I have no doubt that BM, Sim, and Angus have all changed over the past 25 years, but if I were going to a black non-Brahman-influenced breed, I'd probably be looking at using a black Simmental bull over those BM cows.
I've seen some good char/sim crosses here. I use a 3/4char-1/4 sim bull on char cows and they are 100% trouble free. Low bw, good hustlers, no calving problems, nice gains and those weaners and mommas hustle whatever is growing. Easy workers too. That ol bull don't miss anything.
About time for a new one tho.

KY is a far cry from TX, with regard to what's needed in a cow, and what the buyers want - and I don't see much need for Brahman influence up here (though I grew up with Brahman-influenced cattle) - but saw a number of REALLY NICE BeefmasterXAngus heifers at a select heifer sale back last fall - almost made me want to breed some of my black cows to BM bulls!