beefmaster cattle or charloais cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

How will you market the calves? Sale barn, feed them yourself? Will you sell replacement heifers or retain your own? You should investigate your market before you decide. Good luck....

Frankie":38ee5poi said:
How will you market the calves? Sale barn, feed them yourself? Will you sell replacement heifers or retain your own? You should investigate your market before you decide. Good luck....
the bottomline is wich breed you like the best.if you put a beefmaster bull on char cows.youll have fast growing heavy weaning calves.an your replacements will be crossbreeds.so the next question is this.do you want pure blood replacements.if you go reg beefmasters you have 2 markets.1 is reg heifers sales.the other is reg bull sales.as long as you raise the best bulls you have.then you will have your steers sale.i cant tell you what todo.other than get the breed you rea;lly want to raise.

Please forgive me. :roll: What is a beefmaster bull?? I've always thought a Charolais bull would make an excellent termail cross on black whit face cows. I assume beefmaster is some type of hybrid bull. Thanks! :D

regenwether":2sjvwa7t said:
Please forgive me. :roll: What is a beefmaster bull?? I've always thought a Charolais bull would make an excellent termail cross on black whit face cows. I assume beefmaster is some type of hybrid bull. Thanks! :D
the beefmaster breed was developed by tom lassiter in the 1940s.they thrive in hot arrid climates.

beefmaster44":us5lo2nj said:
trying to figure out what kind of cattle to run with beefmaster bull

My neighbor does the reverse. Beefmaster cows and Char bull. Gets some good calves for the local auction.

What is the background for the breed. It had to been bred out of some kind of cross. They have some long Horn in them?? I've never seen one here in Iowa.

regenwether":3eonacmt said:
What is the background for the breed. It had to been bred out of some kind of cross. They have some long Horn in them?? I've never seen one here in Iowa.
beefmaster has no longhorn in them.i think someone posted the breed breakdown.its 1/2 brahama 1/4 hereford 1/4 shorthorn.

my opinion is that if youre going to cross beefmasters its better to do it the other way around and utilize the beefmaster mommas with angus or charolais bulls. or simmental. etc.

if for some reason youve already got a beefmaster bull and no cows they cross well anything noneared. will work great on angus, charolais, simmental, hereford to name a few.

regenwether":3t1m29w5 said:
regenwether - Log onto Google or Dog Pile and type in "Beefmaster Beef Cattle" and then hit SEARCH.

They are a crossbreed comprised of Hereford, Shorthorn and Brahama. Tom Lasater developed them in Falfurrias, Texas, and then moved to a ranch near Colorado Springs, CO. I knew Tom in 1952, and he was a very determined and resolute breeder! He practiced RUTHLESS, almost heartbreaking culling procedures - and developed a terrific breed, which was recognized as a breed, I think, in the 1950's sometime.

Try this link: http://www.isacattleco.com/Beefmasters/beefmaster.html

Do a Search!

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts