beefmaster bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

trin

Reaction score
does anybody have anything to say about there use of beefmaster bulls good bad and ugly. also are there any photos of there calves.

If it is the right one on the right cow in the right place and it helps you reach your goal then they are great.
Personally I have always liked them in general.

I have been using a beefmaster bull since I started my commercial herd about 4 or 5 years ago. Bought my cows from a gentleman who has been running beefmaster bulls on his commercial herd exclusively for about 20 years (and he has been in the cattle business for over 50 years). His family buys over 20 beefmaster bulls per year. He retains heifers, sells some replacements, and retains ownership of his steers through the feedlot. With all that said, I've pulled one calf in 4 or 5 years (and I may have jumped the gun on that one), my cattle have very gentle dispositions, they tolerate the heat well, they're great mommas, and my calves gain well. My bull covers the cows and he has never shown any aggression. I'll try to post some pics later. Gotta get rolling this morning.

trin":1cdyqmu4 said:
does anybody have anything to say about there use of beefmaster bulls good bad and ugly. also are there any photos of there calves.

Here's a few photos of some BM calves
DSC01686.jpg

DSC01692.jpg

DSCF0804.JPG

One of my favorite young cows.
DSC01680.jpg

Her momma
DSC01681.jpg

novatech":11j7gxnr said:
If it is the right one on the right cow in the right place and it helps you reach your goal then they are great.
Personally I have always liked them in general.

I had a wrong one. Big calves, to big for the cows, pulled a lot, lost most of the calves that had to be pulled along with a few cows. Dad had his half brother with no problems.

personally i dont think you can go wrong running a beefmaster bull on any breed of cow.the calves hitt the ground growing.an they grow heavy an big.we have a few crossbred bull calves we need to send to the sale.im guessing they will weigh 600 to 700lbs more or less.i have 3 pics of the bull im using.an 2 bulls that im raising for herd bulls but i cant post them.

I believe myself that beefmasters compliment any breed. I have full blood and crossbred. We had a beefmaster bull a few years ago on crossbred cows. The calves were fantastic.
99% of our herd now are beefmasters.
This heifer was a couple of weeks old. She weighed 61 lbs at birth
P1060531.jpg

I took this picture of today.

P1090248.jpg

As far as gentle you couldn't ask for anything better. The only thing I can complain on is the bull sheath. Sometimes they do grow to long.

thank great pictures. does anybody have trouble with udders on there beefmasters

I've had very good luck running Beefmaster bulls on Angus, Angus/Limousin cross, Hereford/Limousin cross, and Hereford crossed commercial cows (the commercial cows are in the family, not mine). The calves have all been small. Heifers calved unassisted. The calves are growing as well as any that have been on the place and better than most. The hybrid vigor is evident. Sheath and underline has not been a problem at all. All of the crossbred calves show a small bell navel along with a bit of ear, very acceptable for the sale barn.

I've also had good luck with my registered Beefmasters. I bought 3 bred heifers last fall who all calved unassisted. None of my cows have had problems calving either. It's been a pleasure having Beefmasters.

If you'll take the time to find those breeders who produce Beefmasters for the right reasons and use the right practices, you'll be very happy with the breed. I encourage you to give Beefmasters a strong look. Start with the Lasater Ranch where it all began. There's a reason so many folks wanted the cattle they were producing. Read their philosophies. If breeders of all breeds would adhere to those profit essentials, the cattle industry as a whole would be much better off. It wasn't the breed as much as it was the Lasaters' practices that turned me towards Beefmasters and those who use Lasater genetics.

Joy of Texas":qm63mtdr said:
As far as gentle you couldn't ask for anything better. The only thing I can complain on is the bull sheath. Sometimes they do grow to long.

In my opinion, the sheath on a bull should never be too long. The problem is that breeders don't cull hard enough. Every sheath sure doesn't need to be a 1, but those 4 sheathed bulls should be banded or cut. Instead, producers convince themselves that the sheath is okay and try to sell the animal as a bull. That would eliminate the thought of keeping a growthy bull with too much sheath. And undoubtedly, the animal with the longest sheath will be one of those top performers.

I don't think beefmaster heifers or cows, have any more problems with udders than any other breed. I have a 3 year old that has long teats. She lost her calf because of it. So she will be sold here shortly.
I agree with you EC and we do cull the bulls out. What I think are bad ,others think they are good. I went to a breeders place last year. I was asking him about the difference in a 1 and a 3 sheath. He had one yearling bull that was a big boy. He said his sheath was a 3 ,well to look at him....I would have said 4. He ended up telling me they have a low 3 or high 3. That bull was a high 3. So I said why keep him. He said he was selling him for a commerical bull.
Birddog you have some nice looking cattle. I like the white faced heifer and her mom. The calves look good too.

I just came back from a weekend filled with Beefmaster cattle. I saw over 1,050 in a 51 hour period. I went several pastures between 5 different breeders in northeastern Oklahoma. I took quite a few pictures...mostly bulls, cows, and heifers. I have some pictures of calves that I'll try to get posted.

trin":3aps9slv said:
thank great pictures. does anybody have trouble with udders on there beefmasters

When Beefmaster cattle were first registered, they would be registered by name to determine where they came from since breeders do things different ways. As opposed to there being a problem with the breed, the breed could be broken down by breeders and their practices. To answer your question, I don't believe there is any more of a problem with Beefmasters than any other breed. I do know, however, that certain breeders pay more attention and cull harder for udder problems. Subsequently, those herds seem to have to best udders. If you don't want to introduce a problem like that into your your herd, make sure the breeders you buy from cull as hard or harder than you.

wow Bird dog, you want to part with "her momma" ?????? :) She is awesome, wont hold it against her shes not black either. *grin* very nice looking cattle.

Had a beefmaster breeder come into work the other day and spoke with him for abit. Seems like a neat breed..like the calving ease, high gains and disposition on them.

East Caney-would love to see those calf photos when you get them.

These are a few Beefmaster calves. Maybe this will give you an idea of the type of calves you'd be getting.

DSCN2281.jpg

DSCN2371.jpg

EC804.jpg

RSCN1972.jpg

EC801.jpg

EC

Nice cattle guys!!

I Like the looks of this breed in general as well, but can anyone explain why don't we see more of these in our area?

because they are geared more towards the hot humid arid states.now lassitor does have a foundation beefmaster herd in co.theres alot of nothern states that have them as well.

they still have ranches here in texas.lorenzo an laurie lassiter has a ranch in south texas.as well as their uncle watt m casey.also known as casey beemasters.

Latest posts