Beefmaster bull picture

Help Support CattleToday:

skyline

Reaction score
OK, I think I have finally figured out how to post a picture. My beefmaster bull. I'll try to post a picture of some of his calves if this works.

bull_pic.jpg

He's a pretty good looking bull. There are some things that can be cleaned up with future bulls, but he's pretty good. He has a lot of the characteristics that 5502 passes along. He's got that thickness and scrotal size (with 5502 and his son, 0324, being amongst the breed leaders). He has very good depth to him. His sheath is very acceptable. I've grown not to like a lot of navel, but this guy shouldn't have any problems. He's plenty clean. It looks like he could have a bit more length to him, but that could be the angle of the picture. I would like him to have a bit more bone to him. I've started to notice a common theme around the chest/brisket area on 5502 descendants as well.

Are you registered or commercial. Who is the dam of this bull? What is her breeding? And how old is he? Thanks.

EC

East Caney":39e8ytj4 said:
He's a pretty good looking bull. There are some things that can be cleaned up with future bulls, but he's pretty good. He has a lot of the characteristics that 5502 passes along. He's got that thickness and scrotal size (with 5502 and his son, 0324, being amongst the breed leaders). He has very good depth to him. His sheath is very acceptable. I've grown not to like a lot of navel, but this guy shouldn't have any problems. He's plenty clean. It looks like he could have a bit more length to him, but that could be the angle of the picture. I would like him to have a bit more bone to him. I've started to notice a common theme around the chest/brisket area on 5502 descendants as well.

Are you registered or commercial. Who is the dam of this bull? What is her breeding? And how old is he? Thanks.

EC

Thanks for the objective comments East Caney. I look at him two or three times a day and it's good to get some objective feedback. I have a small commercial herd, although I do have a few registered cows. The bull is L-3484. His dam is L-8453 and his maternal grandsire is L-1164. I had my cattle mentor pick him out for me at the ISA bull sale. My first priority was birthweight traits since I'm a newbie part-timer and wanted to minimize birthing problems. BTW, his scrotal circumference was 43. (Good eye!) Birthdate was 8/20/03.

thats one nice looking bull.you can tell he has alot of breeding behind him.he looks dang good for a 4yr old bull.

skyline":eukam6qa said:
East Caney":eukam6qa said:

EC

Thanks for the objective comments East Caney. I look at him two or three times a day and it's good to get some objective feedback. I have a small commercial herd, although I do have a few registered cows. The bull is L-3484. His dam is L-8453 and his maternal grandsire is L-1164. I had my cattle mentor pick him out for me at the ISA bull sale. My first priority was birthweight traits since I'm a newbie part-timer and wanted to minimize birthing problems. BTW, his scrotal circumference was 43. (Good eye!) Birthdate was 8/20/03.

I'll tell you what, he's probably doing everything you want in a commercial herd. If you're seeking weight, 5502 sons and grandsons will really put it on along with plenty of thickness. I'm glad to hear a commercial breeder using beefmaster bulls. If you get some nice females, don't hesitate to try out that E6 program. That bull looks like he gets thick calves. Knowing he was purchased in Fall 2005, I'm assuming he bred your cows first in 2006 for Spring 2007 calves...possibly bred for Fall 2006 calves. Either way, I assume you've got calves out of him. How have they been for you? Did you have a different type bull before? Have you seen increased weaning weights or quality of your calves with a Beefmaster? Just wondering. If so (or not), what was the previous breed of bull used? Thanks.

EC

East Caney":d7m42a71 said:
I'll tell you what, he's probably doing everything you want in a commercial herd. If you're seeking weight, 5502 sons and grandsons will really put it on along with plenty of thickness. I'm glad to hear a commercial breeder using beefmaster bulls. If you get some nice females, don't hesitate to try out that E6 program. That bull looks like he gets thick calves. Knowing he was purchased in Fall 2005, I'm assuming he bred your cows first in 2006 for Spring 2007 calves...possibly bred for Fall 2006 calves. Either way, I assume you've got calves out of him. How have they been for you? Did you have a different type bull before? Have you seen increased weaning weights or quality of your calves with a Beefmaster? Just wondering. If so (or not), what was the previous breed of bull used? Thanks.

EC

EC, yes, I have talked to BBU and I am very interested in the E6 program. That looks like a good option for my heifers. I'm building fences to make room to hold them over to yearlings to sell as open heifers. And yes, his calves are thick. I've been very pleased with them. I'll try to post some pictures in the next few days. He's my first bull.

The bull has outstanding depth and capacity, the only thing that bothers me is his head, I'd like to see a stronger more masculine head on a 4 year old herdsire.

KNERSIE":39wbrcic said:
The bull has outstanding depth and capacity, the only thing that bothers me is
  • his head, I'd like to see a stronger more masculine head on a 4 year old herdsire
same thing i was thinking... kinda feminine head.. but all bull from there back.. best BM bull ive seen posted lately

OK, don't get me wrong - I welcome all comments as I am trying to learn how to evaluate a good bull (especially my own), but help me out with the comments about his head. What is it that makes it look feminine? The size, shape, or what?

well a bull's head should be wider at the poll and heavy masculine jaw.>testosterone< his is more like a steer. a visual of him make's you wonder how fertile he might actually be.the straight hair on his poll is supposed to be another indicator of infertility... or how his females offsprings will be . his head tell more a storey than actually being a problem. cause most want a small head but not at a cost... i like the bulls overall make up fine

ALACOWMAN":2ri1c7px said:
well a bull's head should be wider at the poll and heavy masculine jaw.>testosterone< his is more like a steer. a visual of him make's you wonder how fertile he might actually be.the straight hair on his poll is supposed to be another indicator of infertility... or how his females offsprings will be . his head tell more a storey than actually being a problem. cause most want a small head but not at a cost... i like the bulls overall make up fine

OK, thanks.