Beefmaster Angus Cross

Help Support CattleToday:

Longhorn87

Reaction score
When crossing Beefmaster with Angus, is there an advantage to using a Beefmaster bull on Angus cows as opposed to using an Angus bull on Beefmaster cows? Genetically the calves are the same, right?

The Angus sire will most like throw small calves; I'm not sure if a Beefmaster sire will throw big calves. Also, depending on where you live it might be easier to get a Beefmaster sire and 15 angus cows than 15 Beefmaster cows and one angus bull.

Thank you guys, I am in southwest Arkansas. Both seem readily available around here. From my research it seems like I would prefer the Beefmaster cows due to them being more docile, and then I only have 1 angus bull to deal with. If beefmaster mommas calve more easily that is icing on the cake for me.

When crossing Beefmaster with Angus, is there an advantage to using a Beefmaster bull on Angus cows as opposed to using an Angus bull on Beefmaster cows? Genetically the calves are the same, right?
I think there are two ways of looking at it... (duh)

The strong side of beefmaster cows is calving ease and maternal characteristics. And the calving ease is not from the bull but instead from the cows having hips to birth decent size calves. The downside of beefmaster is that they are pretty inconsistent in their appearance. Color, conformation, markings, and even the amount of ear between individuals can vary quite a bit. But overall, I'd expect beefmaster cows to be healthier long term, and take the heat better in southwest Arkansas. A bull of another breed which has dominant traits would bring some consistency to the calf crop and the calves would market better being more consistent.

The strength in Angus cows is their relatively consistent look and how black calves sell. The downside is how they have become more consistent, by being more likely to be related... which brings some amount of heritable issues due to a lack of genetic diversity. I'd expect to replace Angus cows more often. A single beefmaster bull on consistent black Angus cows would minimize genetic variation and the calves would be more consistent overall.

So genetically the calves have more variation with beefmaster cows, and will show it in their appearance. But a good bull will minimize this.

We know that big lots of consistent calves sell for more money than lots with individuals that vary in appearance, or smaller lots sorted for appearance. The issue being that the inconsistency between beefmaster cows would tend to bring more variables into how the calves look.

If it was me, I'd choose the beefmaster cows and a meat factory bull that would add consistent color, rate of gain, and conformation to the calves. The trick, as in any breeding operation, is in choosing a bull that will compliment the cows you own.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the replies. Very helpful for us newbies. You have helped me come to a conclusion. I think I will go with the beefmaster cows as I planned and get a solid angus bull.

Thank you all for the replies. Very helpful for us newbies. You have helped me come to a conclusion. I think I will go with the beefmaster cows as I planned and get a solid angus bull.
How many cows are you looking to acquire? And where will you be looking to make your purchases? Sale barns? Private breeders? Registered or commercial? Age? Open heifers, long bred, or pairs?

back In the late 80s early 90s "Here" you could get all the beefmaster females you wanted..they're not as abundant now, with angus herd in every field ..if you had a herd of good Beefmaster mommas you have a laundry list of breeds you could use on them, and get a outstanding calf..able to make that calf reach its genetic potential

Last edited:
Look at the bottom of this page. There are a couple more threads about this from 2007 and 2008. Bit to answer your question, using registered, or at least purebred Beefmasters and Angus, there would be no difference in appearance in the calves, regardless of which breed you used for cows and bull.

Not a whole lot of Beefmasters up here in KY, but there are a few breeders still around.
It's been several years, but I went to a couple of the UofKY-sponsored 'bred heifer' sales at the KY-TN salebarn at Guthrie. Outfit from somewhere east of Bowling Green consigned some AngusXBeefmaster heifers every year ... Dang! They were pretty! Best lookin' things in the whole sale, IMO. Almost made me want to buy some Beefmaster semen and breed some of my best black cows with it. Almost.

How many cows are you looking to acquire? And where will you be looking to make your purchases? Sale barns? Private breeders? Registered or commercial? Age? Open heifers, long bred, or pairs?
Ideally, I would get 20-25 bred heifers. Commercial cattle from private breeders is what I have found.

Ideally, I would get 20-25 bred heifers. Commercial cattle from private breeders is what I have found.
As someone new to this (?) you might want to consider buying cows that have had a calf or two already. Heifers have a learning curve and you might want to do that only as your older cows age out. Just a suggestion.

Thanks! Yea, I have considered that and if I find some available that is the route I will probably go. I am new to this, but have people around me willing to help me out.

Thanks! Yea, I have considered that and if I find some available that is the route I will probably go. I am new to this, but have people around me willing to help me out.
It's good to have friends and relatives that have your back. That is true value. I suspect you will do just fine. You seem ready to listen.

Too many people asking for advice are really only asking for confirmation of their preconceptions. It's important to be flexible and as you continue with this, you'll find that kind of mindset will benefit you greatly. It appears you are on that path.

Best of luck.

It's good to have friends and relatives that have your back. That is true value. I suspect you will do just fine. You seem ready to listen.

Too many people asking for advice are really only asking for confirmation of their preconceptions. It's important to be flexible and as you continue with this, you'll find that kind of mindset will benefit you greatly. It appears you are on that path.

Best of luck.
Thank you, sir! I am blessed with family and friends I can rely on for guidance and help when needed. I am 35 now and have done enough in my life to know that you can't start into something new pretending to know it all. It is best to take advice when you can get it. That is what brought me here.

Not a whole lot of Beefmasters up here in KY, but there are a few breeders still around.
It's been several years, but I went to a couple of the UofKY-sponsored 'bred heifer' sales at the KY-TN salebarn at Guthrie. Outfit from somewhere east of Bowling Green consigned some AngusXBeefmaster heifers every year ... Dang! They were pretty! Best lookin' things in the whole sale, IMO. Almost made me want to buy some Beefmaster semen and breed some of my best black cows with it. Almost.
Thank you, sir! I am blessed with family and friends I can rely on for guidance and help when needed. I am 35 now and have done enough in my life to know that you can't start into something new pretending to know it all. It is best to take advice when you can get it. That is what brought me here.
Was a saying no one knows more about cattle ,than a rich man who's been at it a year..

Latest posts