Beefmaster Angus bull

Help Support CattleToday:

40 acres of land and part of it to grow feed. I would not go bat sheet crazy on a bull. Get a lower birth weight bull that looks good to the eye and start. The one in the picture is to small if needed anytime soon. Call the local Farm extension agent they will know a local farmer who has good cattle to maybe get a bull.

I have a few cattle in my ranch including an angus heifer. I do not have a bull to start breeding them. I came across a Beefmaster Angus bull that's only 6 months on the internet and wanted to buy him for my angus heifer. I was wondering if anyone knew or could help me out if he would be a good bull to start breeding. He comes from registered blood lines. He's out of a Angus Shorthorn Cow,Beefmaster bull. He's all I can afford for now. Any help is really appreciated, thank you.
I'm only 3 years into starting out myself. Something that you may have overliiked is AI, for 1 heifer it may be more advantageous unless you plan to get into the heifer market in the next year. Just a thought.

You can buy small calves, 350+ pounds, let them grow on your grass, sell them in a few months when the price is good, and make some money. Don't have to worry about calving, getting the right bull, buying good mommas. Get your feet wet. In a couple of years if you like the heifers that you have keep them and get a bull with good calving ease and yearling epd's. Google epd's. Gives you time to learn. Enjoy

I think you were given two great options:
#1 - AI - just call ABS, Genex, Select Sire etc and see if they have an AI technician in your area.
#2 - buy heifer calves in spring, graze all summer, sell in fall. Eventually, keep for replacements.

It was recommended to you several times to go into your profile and put your location. Who knows, there might be a member close by. But, "our" responses depend a lot on WHERE YOU ARE LOCATED.
Edit: Welcome to the board!!!

Not trying to kill your plans but in the situation you are in you would be imo money ahead to buy the best 350 lbs calves and if bulls castrate and implant or if heifers just give shots and carry them over winter and sell next spring and then re-evaluate at that point.

I have a few cattle in my ranch including an angus heifer. I do not have a bull to start breeding them. I came across a Beefmaster Angus bull that's only 6 months on the internet and wanted to buy him for my angus heifer. I was wondering if anyone knew or could help me out if he would be a good bull to start breeding. He comes from registered blood lines. He's out of a Angus Shorthorn Cow,Beefmaster bull. He's all I can afford for now. Any help is really appreciated, thank you.
I would suggest not using a crossbred bull. I would go to a few places that breed purebred stock and shop for a bull. In my opinion epd's are only one tool in the tool chest. It is a good idea to have the dam and sire onsite so you can evaluate them yourself.

How old are they?
An older cow who is fat but not too fat after feeding a calf for 6 to 9 months, has a flat topline and good udder then you are on the right track.

What does the sire look like?

Look at the other calves from the same bull. Do they all look alike for the most part?

Look for a youtube video on how to evaluate a beef animal. You might find a 4H or FFA beef judging training video.

There is nothing wrong with line breeding. It tightens up the gene pool giving more consistant calves.

Your bull is the most important animal because he is responsible for half of your calf crops genetic pool.

I like my animals to marble well so i do not use continental breeds. I only use British Breeds, hereford, shorthorn, angus, murray grey.

Since you are bringing in a bull you can breed your cows with him and you can breed him back to his daughters. I would not breed farther down than that.

You need a mentor....there's another post titled "Buyer Beware" that you should read. An education costs money and you could be about to make your first payment. You need to find an experienced cattleman in your area to consult with.

J+ Cattle
Several months back I went to look at a Black Angus Bull, I liked his looks, he had a good reputation from the neighbor who had used him and I believe he was just coming 3. The price was more than I had to spend. The sad thing was this young guy and his family had just recently stepped into ranching and had very little knowledge. His goal was club calves. He wanted to sell the black bull because he had purchased a new bull for $4000.00, and even though I was the third or fourth person that had told him the black bull was a better bull, he hated to take the loss on the new bull, which is understandable. During the 2020 breeding season the $4000.00 bull was in with his cows, as the only bull for 5 or 6 six weeks. During the time frame when his cows should have started calving it was 30 days before he got a calf. The black bull, who had been loaned to the neighbor was turned back in with his cows 5 or 6 weeks after the $4000.00 bull. The time frame is such that I would suspect most of his calves are from the black bull.

I don't know if this young guy got the new bull tested or whether or not he discussed any of this with the individual he bought the bull from. I tried to suggest he contact an individual I know that grew up here and has been and always will be an honest reliable person to deal cattle with and is very knowledgeable. Don't know what he finally did.

We can't all drive Cadillacs, but you should be able to find a good bull somewhere between the bull calf you have and the $4000.00 bummer.

So what J+ Cattle and some of the others are suggesting is excellent advise. Wish you the best :)

Little bit of "iffy" advice breeding a bull to his daughters. You only want to do that if he has been DNA tested for multiple genetic defects, especially if it is an Angus bull.
And, BTW, I would bet on a Simmental sired calf will marble and yield grade better than a Hereford or Shorthorn sired steer. JMHO

Latest posts