Beefmaster 1st Calf Heifer Race

Help Support CattleToday:

East Caney

Reaction score
Last year, I posted 3 heifers and asked which one any of you would choose. Some liked the idea of keeping all three and letting the calves determine. Well, I sold one with a pretty nice bull calf at her side. I kept the two below. I've attached each heifer's calf, and I'm wondering which one is winning the race.

Calf pictured at 184 days

Or…

Calf pictured at 171 days

This is a tough one. For starters, is that red calf Red Angus or Angus plus? Sure does look like it. What is their breeding and where can one acquire cattle of such quality?

The first bull calf has a tight scrotum and what appears to be a smaller circumference. If it ain't hanging in hot weather by 4 months...

Both bull calves look like money makers.

Dogs and Cows":1rk9aofh said:
They both look pretty good to me....but I like the first a little better. By the way, what are the flowers in the 1st picture?

Thanks,

Tim

Those look like Indian Blanket flowers.

Both bulls look quite nice. I like the conformation of the second bull calf better, but the 1st bull calf looks more like a young bull and less like a calf in comparison to bull 2.

redcowsrule33":31lkwzj7 said:
The bulls look good, I like the second one better. What do the heifers look like now?

Both cows are holding their flesh pretty well. I'd call the top heifer a BCS of 5 or a little better. The second is pretty similar but just have the same natural thickness. They'll be in good shape by calving time next year. I believe I saw the first one get bred back for another March calf. The second, if I remember correctly, will be an April calf.

Mottlefaceman413":ii08r1a2 said:
This is a tough one. For starters, is that red calf Red Angus or Angus plus? Sure does look like it. What is their breeding and where can one acquire cattle of such quality?

There's definitely not any red angus breeding in these. All of my animals have Buster Beefmasters breeding. He's been selecting for a type that commercial cattlemen can use in their herds and produce a market-accepted calf. He's a good friend, and I'm a pretty big fan of the cattle he produces.

Latest posts