Beefing Up Suspension

Help Support CattleToday:

kaneranch

Reaction score
I was wanting to beef up my suspension on my half ton dodge, and wondering what you guys imput was on the best and most cost efficent way. I was looking into air bags. I have a 14' gooseneck trailer that has axle plasement pretty far back. I was looking into 2500 lb of weight on air bags is that enough? Any input would be great. Thanks Kane

I have the big Firestone bags on my truck and they work great. They also have helper springs that go on top of the stock leaves. Cheaper but there is no ajusting ride quality.

Look at www.airliftcompany.com I sell quite a few of these and also have them on my 3/4 ton chevy. It will be one of the better investments you make. I can haul 17 5x5 round bale on my trailer with the bags at 50# of air. I usually run 20# for daily driving.

I know a guy who has the helper leafs. The way they work is if you have no weight it is factory ride, or pretty close. When you put a load on the truck it will only squat so much, inch or two then it stiffens up in a hurry. He pulled some where around a 20' cattle trailer behind his 1/2 ton Z-71 all the time.

This is the route I am about to go with my new Z-71. :D

I beefed up my half ton several years ago by going to a 3/4 ton.

In 2005, I beefed up my 3/4 ton by going to a 1 ton dual wheel truck.

That's the way to beef it up! :lol2:

I just had two extra leafs put on my Nissan Titan half ton. My buddy just put the air lift, air bags on his F-150 but he had some problems with them leaking but every one else I know who has used them never had problems with them. If I was using a gooseneck then I would use the air bags because leveling is real important for tire, axle, and front end wear. But I just pull a pull behind and want my hind end to stay up and also I want the truck to be able to handle 50 bales of hay and pull some of my hay equipment. The air bags I did not want to mess with the extra hassel of re-filling and letting air out to keep the truck level and wireing up a compressor on board would have cost a lot more then an extra leaf. Plus I have a couple extra heavier pick-ups, just picking up an extra half ton is so much cheaper then buying a 3/4 ton.

Well I got my air bags put on my truck. It was a little bit of a pain in the a$$ because of my B&W hitch but we got it done, and I'm really happy with them. Thanks for all the input. Kane

One more question is what do you guys usually run your air bags on. I have been driving without a load at 10 - 13 lbs. Is this about right. Thanks Matthew kane

I have a mega cab dually and I run around empty with mine on 0 because any air in them and the truck rides like a tank.

grannysoo":zeb4st52 said:

That is the way I beefed up my trucks. The bailbed l ton went to the salvage bought a complete set of springs got longer U bolts have two complete set of springs under it.

hillrancher":2g28h47e said:
grannysoo":2g28h47e said:

That is the way I beefed up my trucks. The bailbed l ton went to the salvage bought a complete set of springs got longer U bolts have two complete set of springs under it.
getting ready to do that to the one I bought last week it has had a bail bed on it since it was new and they didn't beef it u so I am probbaly gonna replace the original set and ad another