BEEFALO

Help Support CattleToday:

totalloss

Reaction score
I'VE BEEN DOING SOME THINKING ABOUT RAISING SOME BEEFALO.ALL I CAN FIND THE POSITIVE INFO ON THEM.I KNOW THAT THERE HAS TO BE SOME NEGITIVES ON THEM.DO ANY OF YOU RAISE THEM,OR KNOW ABOUT THEM?

twenty years ago when I had the opportunity to tour MARC at Clay Center, NE. They were doing some work with beefalo there. The manager said there was alot interest so they kept working with beefalo, but they just didn't feed as well as straight beef cattle. I can't remember what all he said, but he wasn't real positive about them.

I like them. We used a Beefalo bull on our Beefmaster cows for several years and kept all of his daughters. My father and I both still have several of these Beefalo cross daughters and I don't see how anyone couldn't like them. They milk very well and raise a big calf. They are easy fleshing cows and do well with whatever breed of bull you put on them. The Beefalo bull that we had was registered-he was 5/8 Brangus and 3/8 American Bison. By looking at him you would have thought he was a big and I mean big Brangus bull. He was naturally polled and threw mostly black calves but also some duns, reds and brindles.

Cowgirl, how can you say they're not pretty to look at? A true Beefalo looks like any other beef cow. You may be thinking about a Bison hybrid. If it's a 50/50 cross it's considered a Bison hybrid and it will have a Bison look to it-big shoulders and a sloping rear end. A Beefalo can be any breed of bovine based-some folks used Charolais even Swiss blood in developing them.

totalloss":3udpcln8 said:
I'VE BEEN DOING SOME THINKING ABOUT RAISING SOME BEEFALO.ALL I CAN FIND THE POSITIVE INFO ON THEM.I KNOW THAT THERE HAS TO BE SOME NEGITIVES ON THEM.DO ANY OF YOU RAISE THEM,OR KNOW ABOUT THEM?

Fertility might be a problem. Cross breeding different species can produce infertile animals, like mules.

Fertility won't be a problem. That's already been worked out on a purebred Beefalo. On the initial bovine/bison cross, fertility was a problem. The males from the first cross are sterile, like a mule. The females from the first cross were used back with a bovine bull to create a beefalo. We never had any problems whatsoever with our beefalo bull breeding and we've also never had any problems with the cows breeding.

A lot of cutting horse trainers use buffalo to train with because they have much more stamina than beef cattle. I wonder if the beefalo or the hybrids would do well for this purpose. Im sure they would be easier to keep around than a buffalo.

Latest posts