Beefalo?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Howdy,
I was wondering if you breed a buffalo & regular cattle. Would their offspring be sterile? :?: Like mules, hinnies, zedonks, zorses, ligers, etc... :? I was just wondering because hopefully we are going to buy some buffalo to breed to our beautiful hereford cattle. 8)
Thank you,
:D Ellie May :D

Hi,

No, they are not sterile. In fact there is now an organization of them.(ABWR)--American Beefalo World Registry. :D :)

I know of a new breeder here in the texas panhandle. Robert of Wildrose Beefalo, in Wheeler, Texas, will be glad to help you with some of your questions.

He told me that it takes 4 generations to breed for a beefalo from scratch. (37.4 percent bison). An inbetween breeding is called, meat stock, which is 17 percent bison.

That is where Robert was this past spring (at the 17% mark). He hopes to have breeding stock available in 2004, if I remember right.

In fact, he might be able to help you get started, or at least point you in the correct direction.

Sandy

Ellie May,
If you please add your email address to these boards I will be glad to direct you to an Beefalo "expert". He is extremely knowledgeable about beefalo! Bye.

Ellie_May":1cj0hss7 said:
Howdy,
I was wondering if you breed a buffalo & regular cattle. Would their offspring be sterile? :?: Like mules, hinnies, zedonks, zorses, ligers, etc... :? I was just wondering because hopefully we are going to buy some buffalo to breed to our beautiful hereford cattle. 8)
Thank you,
Ellie you really don,t wont to start that way.Mostly because the bulls will be 90% sterile.However there is a faster ways to get started.You can buy a full blood beefalo bull.This will save you six generations of breeding up, and the off spring of the crosses you can sale as beefalo/a specialy meat/ far more information check out http://www.beefalo .com

robert46_1999":3b4460ug said:
Ellie_May":3b4460ug said:
Howdy,
Thank you,
Ellie you really don,t wont to start that way.Mostly because the bulls will be 90% sterile.However there is a faster ways to get started.You can buy a full blood beefalo bull.This will save you six generations of breeding up, and the off spring of the crosses you can sale as beefalo/a specialy meat/ far more information check out http://www.beefalo .com

It will be easier and cheaper to buy semen and A.I., maybe from a half blood that way the calves would be 1/4 Bison, and of a 3/4 Bison blood the calves will be purebreds Beefalo 3/8 Bison 5/8 Cattle

Howdy,
I don't understand, so if you bred a hereford bull with a buffalo cow (like we were going to do) it's not consider a beefalo? :?: Then what is it called? :?: What would it look like? :?: Well thanx!
Bye,
Ellie May :D

Brangus are 5/8 Angus and 3/8 Brahman. Braford are 5/8 Hereford and 3/8 Brahman. In the same manner, real Beefalo have a specific amount of Buffalo blood. Any crossbreeding of species will get you a higher percentage of sterile animals and possible calving difficulties. Understand, too, that the US meat grading system rewards marbling in beef. Buffalo produce a lean, unmarbled beef. I don't have any idea what a cross between a Buffalo and a Hereford would look like. Maybe a shaggy white faced buffalo???

The 1/2 Bison crosses are called Bison Hybrids. Robert is right that all bull from these crosses are sterile....the heifers are fine. Stick what your intended plan because we need new bloodlines in Beefalo! The more the merrier! (just like Angus done in the past)

:cboy:

Dear Ellie May,
Yes it is safe to breed the Herf cow to a Bison but WATCH her real close! She could abort (Don't remember what the disorder is called....) the calf and bleed a lot.... its a fifty fifty chance of success. If you want a better chance. I go with Beefalo bulls.... It would be nice for new bloodlines though!
Bye! :cboy:

Latest posts