Beef vs Dairy breeds (taste/efficiency/cog)

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms

Reaction score
If you were gonna feed out a couple of steers to butcher would you choose a beef breed or a dairy breed? Lot of folks around here that used to feed out a couple for themselves swear by Holstein or jersey. Wouldn't an angus or Charolais, etc grow better and more efficiently cost wise and performance wise? Which would taste better. Starting at around 350 lbs and finishing with corn.

I'm a cow/calf man. Don't know squat about feeding freezer beef besides what I've read and been told. No personal experience.

I sell my higher dollar beef calves at the sale barn and feed out Jersey's for my family. We've been butchering them for 8 years or so and sell around 10 or so a year as well. To me they are more tender than the other breeds and have a better flavor. Our customers say the same. We didn't buy any back this year as our regular dairy contact sold out. Only two remaining.

There is no debate though they they are less efficient. We never full feed ours and they aren't in a dry lot. At the most they get 15lbs/day of feed and that is only the last 30 or so days. We stair step up from around 4-6lbs as they grow. We either have them on pasture or hay depending on the season.

Locals here seem to prefer the taste of the jerseys. I just want to make sure I can, at the worst, break even. I guess I can try a couple of each as it won't make me or break me. Reccomended starting weight? 350? 550? Estimated time it will take? I've got an idea but this is really a new venture for me.

Wagyu....Wagyu.... Wagyu....Yahoo Wagyu.... for taste :heart: Wagyu.... :banana:
for efficiency ...... :cry2:
full blood Wagyu breeders brag if they can get a full blood Wagyu to gain 1.87 lbs per day
and some do it if they can get a f1 to do it. :(

JMJ Farms":2w2q035l said:
Locals here seem to prefer the taste of the jerseys. I just want to make sure I can, at the worst, break even. I guess I can try a couple of each as it won't make me or break me. Reccomended starting weight? 350? 550? Estimated time it will take? I've got an idea but this is really a new venture for me.

We fed them along from 350 up but really didn't start pushing much feed until 550 or so. We normally butcher anywhere from 900lbs to 1200lbs depending on when somebody is ready. Had several that don't have big freezers ask for the smaller 900lbs. I normally fed them pretty slow, starting at 6lbs and would increase by 2lbs every 30 days or so. I'm sure I could have ramped them up quicker but never did. Jersey's would not be a quick turn around but I've never had better beef.

We grow out Jersey steers for ourselves. We usually butcher at about 18 months. In the past, I have just put him out with my pairs, so he was on good grass with access to creep feed, but not pushed.

Jerseys are fairly efficient as graziers. You start with a smaller animal, finish a smaller animal. The angus/beef steers are worth more at the stockyards so no brainer. The jerseys have a finer grained meat and marble well. They are second in marbling only to wagyu beef which is the Japanese "platinum" standard for tenderness. Taste is a little sweeter. Usually have them finish @ 18-24 months, 1000-1100 lbs with no grain. Will hang 55-60% . If you push them a little and grain feed then they will finish alot faster. Holsteins have to grow alot more frame first although they make decent beef but not as marbled as jerseys. Jersey's are all I eat.