Beef Steers

Help Support CattleToday:

Donnybrook

Reaction score
Had cattle all my life but am totally new to the beef steer finishing, would love some suggestions on finishing them out??

Get them as big as you can as quickly as you can.
The faster increase seems to give tenderer beef ,the size is dependent on where you choose to sell them.

FOR A TON OF FEED -I USE
200 LBS 36% PROTIEN PELLETS
100 LBS DRY MOLASSES
300 LBS ROLLED BARLEY
1400 LBS GROUND CORN.
THIS PUTS A NICE FINISH ON THEM.

Roadhog, have you noticed the disparity in appearance between your posts and other folk's posts. Stop with the ALL CAPS. What's the deal?

Donnybrook, Welcome. In your part of the country you might get small grain at a better price then corn. [damaged grain] Cattle can finish nicely on a blend of rolled or cracked or pellets. [oats, barley, wheat] With some vitamin and mineral added and protein at 14-15%. I would keep the good hay in front of them. Start with a couple pounds a day and increase to all they want in a month or so. Keep them on feed 100 days or so. Depending on how big they are at start.
The ideal, would be 1300 pounds at about 15 months. Good Luck.

............"Miller says results of a 2005 National Cattlemen’s Beef Association (NCBA) survey indicate that around 90% of all beef meets the “acceptable” level for tenderness. That’s determined by Warner-Bratzler shear force (WBSF); beef cuts that require more than 4.9 kilograms, or 10.8 lb., of force to shear are a problem for most consumers.

“When 90% of the beef in the U.S. meets tenderness thresholds, flavor is going to become the most important driver,” he says. Although more research needs to be done on what factors influence beef’s taste, Miller has an idea where to start.

“We know marbling has a big effect on flavor,” he says. “A higher degree of marbling increases the flavor,” he says.

The Texas Tech take-home point, Miller says, is that consumers don’t just want tender beef; they want tasty, tender beef. The industry must maintain its focus on assuring tenderness while facing the fact that it must add more focus on marbling".

==================

Other studies strongly suggests that more marbling is obtained with............age.