Beef Steers on Winter Oat Pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

Limomike":31radfhj said:
Wow. those look like yearlings already. Never knew that oat could have that kind of affect on them. Very nice Jeanne.

They were born in the spring of '07.

Great looking cattle, Jeanne. As always.

OK Jeanne":165ribmh said:
These steers were born in spring 07; we like to calve in late march through april. They spent the first summer on their moms on pasture...weaned in Oct 07. They then went on a winter wheat pasture until mid-March 08. Then back to the native pasture through the summer,early fall of 08. They went onto the winter oat field about the 3d week of Oct.

We have been told that finishing out an animal on wheat can give the meat an "off" flavor---so we just use the wheat for the newly
weaned males. We don't allow the heifers on winter wheat as they would get too fat. The wheat field is more cold-hardy than the
oats, but the oats do have a wider leaf and they love it. I think it makes better hay. Even if the oats do get some frost damage,
it just comes right back out after a few sunny, warmer days. We've never had it absolutely winter-kill.

For some reason, this thread is not "notifying" me when a response is posted...anyone else or is it just me??
Jeanne-

No, it is NOT your imagination! I have not been being notified of responses for several months!! I personally talked to Macon when he was in Mexico about this problem, and he told me that it was not their fault! I am being notified about responses on Ranchers.net, but NOT on CattleToday threads. I just haven't wanted to get into it with my ISP and have to go through "non-English speaking experts" in the Philippines, China, India, Eastern Canada, and somewhere in the United States, including Idaho and Colorado. I have been there and done that!

BUT - now that you have the same trouble - perhaps it IS CattleToday! You can access your subject material by going through the "User Control Panel" and search the posts for which you are looking. I hope that works. Talking to Macon MIGHT help!

DOC HARRIS

You have to check the box at the bottom of the page to notify you of a response to your post. It will uncheck itself if you don't respond after a time or two. :compute:

My home computer died last Thursday, I'm at the office today :(.

Thanks for all your responses.

We are about 90 miles SW of Okla City...so that makes us south of I-40 and west
of I-35. Our annual first frost date is Nov 10th (but it came early this year) and
last frost date of April 10th.

When it gets to 10 or 15 degrees at night, the tops will be bitten back and turn
brown(especially if it is dry)....but then the green will reappear from the roots
when it warms up a little. We did put down a little fertilizer--but very little
considering the price.

The best oat field we ever had was with "heavy grazer" oats from East Texas
Seed Co. It has a very wide leaf. It was just after we limed the field. The steers
could not keep up with it, and we had to bale hay on January 1st because it had gone
to seed and was in the dough stage....but it did come back for more grazing. That
seed was especially expensive and we have not used it since.

About the finishing on wheat: Dr. Allen Williams of Tallgrass beef company told us
that finishing on wheat can cause an "off" flavor....we did not want to test the
theory.

to Mule_Skinner: We will use that young bull on another group of females next breeding
season---wait to see how his calves are, and then sell him at around 3 yrs old or so
if his calves prove his worth. We had him with a small bunch last June/July,
so his first calves will be this coming spring. He looks pretty good so far and has gained well.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, but, this bull would be getting the same feed that is used to fatten your steers. Wouldn't he have the same potential to over-fatten as a bull on a high grain ration?

mule_skinner":298oa7kl said:
I'm not trying to stir the pot, but, this bull would be getting the same feed that is used to fatten your steers. Wouldn't he have the same potential to over-fatten as a bull on a high grain ration?

We've been told that grain rations will develop too much fat tissue in the scrotum
and thereby reduce fertility. (as per Gearld Fry) Also been told that the majority of fat gain on forage will end up as backfat instead of fat in the scrotum...that may or may not be true, but we have never seen a fertility problem in bulls raised on forage. Anyone
else have a fertility problem with bulls raised on forage????

OK Jeanne - Really nice looking steers. Sure is a "prettier" feedlot than what we're used to seeing :D
When I get a chance, I'll post a pic of my herd on stockpiled grass that we took yesterday (11-22) - a whole lot different!!! They're almost knee deep in SNOW!!! Can't see the stockpiled grass.

You do a great job, and your cattle are always very impressive.

Latest posts