Beef Production - USA vs Australia - Ringside Seats!

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefords.US

Reaction score
Not going to give much info until comments posted. Raised on mother with no creep, then spent last winter on native grass with no hay. Fed almost no protein/grain in his life. Comments desired - good, bad, indifferent?

Bull12.jpg

Bull21.jpg

Sorry, only the two pictures of this one.

George

I would like to see a pic with his head up on the broadside shot.
More eye pigment.
I'm not crazy about his shoulders, but the hind end is looking pretty good.
Just a bit more muscle around his shoulders.

For his age and for being raised like he has been, I think he looks pretty good.

Looks like a bull who can cover a lot of country and do his job.

Coulda used some groceries.

I luv herfrds":2co81ap8 said:
I would like to see a pic with his head up on the broadside shot.
More eye pigment.
I'm not crazy about his shoulders, but the hind end is looking pretty good.
Just a bit more muscle around his shoulders.
what about the top of his shoulders

I'm no livestock judge, but i thnk that he is loose in the shoulders and maybe even alittle pinched in the heartgirth. nice bull non the less tho. Are you using him any George?

He has a decent pair on him, but just looking at his front half, I would have thought he was a cow. I don't know the right term for the shoulders, but I don't like them, and the heartgirth is tight. Ont the other hand, he does look like he can cover some ground and some cows.

Good, and accurate, comments so far! The bull has zero pigment, lacks masculinity through his front, and has some roughness in the way his shoulders fit. All flaws that make him less than "ideal".

Are these less than ideal traits enough to make him unusable as a registered herd bull? As a commercial bull? Should he have been banded?

George

Herefords.US":17mul7fa said:
Good, and accurate, comments so far! The bull has zero pigment, lacks masculinity through his front, and has some roughness in the way his shoulders fit. All flaws that make him less than "ideal".

Are these less than ideal traits enough to make him unusable as a registered herd bull? As a commercial bull? Should he have been banded?

George

Depends if you want repeat customers or not.

Like people have said he lacks strength behind the shoulders and does look pinched in the heart girth. I think for an 18mth bull he should definitely be showing more masculinity. The eye pigment isn't ideal either. I think that a bull should be banded if you look at him and think that he couldn't improve the average herd, same goes for heifers. Although that might be harsh, it's what I firmly believe. I can't see this bull throwing progeny that would consistently improve a herd.

Herefords.US":3trtjaly said:

George
alot of commercial breeder's are more paticular than reg. seedstock producers.. but in a commercial herd that retains heifers. out of those old cow lines they want too keep .. no wouldnt use him..

I know he would look a lot different if he would have been fed 10-15 pounds of grain a day.
I think the way hes been raised hes a honest bull and a decent commercial herd bull prospect.

mnmtranching":e5wkna1b said:
I know he would look a lot different if he would have been fed 10-15 pounds of grain a day.
I think the way hes been raised hes a honest bull and a decent commercial herd bull prospect.
he may be honest,, but it dont cover up structural flaws.

I still think that if you had different poses of this bull he would look different and you would probably get different responses. He looks pretty good to me to have been raised the way that he was without being fed up. There's a big difference in the way they look when they are rasied like they should be. He would more than likely be able to do his job and still look just as good as he does now as compared to one who melts when he's put out into the real world.

Herefords.US":3tezkg8l said:

George

I figure Hereford bulls will become more rare as time goes on. He could be a collector item (like baseball cards) that makes white faces. Price of Hereford bulls are expected to double in a couple of years because of supply shortage.

Price of Hereford bulls are expected to double in a couple of years because of supply shortage.

Then why don't you buy as many hereford bulls as you can afford right now, keep them for a couple of years and resell them to double your money?

KNERSIE":vhv9c5qr said:
Price of Hereford bulls are expected to double in a couple of years because of supply shortage.

Then why don't you buy as many hereford bulls as you can afford right now, keep them for a couple of years and resell them to double your money?

Because they eat and require board, as in room and board, and they depreciate. It is easier for me to double assets in financial markets. But, someone that has ESP like me, can make a little money.

HerefordSire":1bu5v39j said:
KNERSIE":1bu5v39j said:

Because they eat and require board, as in room and board, and they depreciate. It is easier for me to double assets in financial markets. But, someone that has ESP like me, can make a little money.

The problem with thumbsucking and selling it as gospel is you get known for the BS you write and not for where your real expertise lie.

Latest posts