Beef Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Wouldn't hurt for you to be more specific. 'Steers' takes in a lot of territory. Could be anywhere from $65 or $70/cwt for big junk, to over $200/cwt for lightweight steer calves. But maybe you were talking about fed steers? If that's the case, here's the DJ report from Friday:

DJ US Cash Cattle Midday: Light Cleanup Trade; Prices Steady

11:37 AM, August 26, 2005

KANSAS CITY (Dow Jones)--
Light cleanup trading was reported in the central and southern Plains Friday at mostly $82 per hundredweight on a live basis, with a few up to $82.50, feedlot managers and analysts said.

Nearly all of the activity was reported in the Texas Panhandle. A market analyst in Nebraska said a few bids of $128 on a dressed basis were being circulated, but few, if any, sales resulted. Cattle owners were passing the bids until next week when they will have more cattle to sell, he said.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture and private sources reported sales this week at mostly $82 up to $82.50 on a live basis in Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas and a range of $81 to $83 in Nebraska. In Nebraska's dressed markets, cattle traded in a range from $127 to mostly $128 to $129.

The volumes traded this week made most feedlot managers and market analysts think the numbers that will be offered to packer buyers next week will be down, which could help keep prices steady in a week when packer demand for cattle will be down. Buyers next week will want fewer cattle because slaughter schedules the following week will be cut by observance of the Labor Day holiday, they said.

The USDA reported the composite value for choice beef at midday was down $0.24 at $132.51 while select was up $0.29 at $124.13. The volume of sales for fabricated loads was about 170, while the load count for trimmings and coarse grinds was 91.

-By Lester Aldrich; Dow Jones Newswires

agriculture.com

I too would like to know the going prices for cattle, specifically 16 month old steers about 1200 lbs.
Where can I find cattle prices for the past 5 years?

I was amazed that the sale on Monday showed an increase in both the number of head and price...up 2.00/cwt. Even the big boys were holding over a buck a pound. 5 & 6 weights were still getting 120-130 cwt.
Looks like I'll wait another month to buy....DMc

why wait, with the price of oil going up almost by the minute, everything else will up too. I personally dont see prices going down.

csutton":2ovt3acp said:
why wait, with the price of oil going up almost by the minute, everything else will up too. I personally dont see prices going down.
Let me be sure I've got it---

The consumer spends twice as much on gas as they were a few weeks ago. Electric bills are going up and winter heating bills are just around the corner and will possibly be the highest ever. The consumer cuts down on driving and going out to eat steak to help compensate for increased energy costs. Chicken at the grocery store is looking better and better to them because of the difference in price over beef. So you're saying that with the price of oil going up, "everything else" will go up, too? Sure hope you're right......

it would almost have to, or else nobody would be able to buy anything. It appears that crude oil controls what seems like everything. And as I watch some of the most disturbing images on TV, I cant believe that the oil companies can actually try to justify raising prices to fill there greedy pockets.

im not tryin to take this matter off topic so i will not continue with my digust of the oil companies, this is cattle not oil.

csutton":1qsrjm9f said:
it would almost have to, or else nobody would be able to buy anything.
csutton, please explain this. Are you saying that everybodies wages down at the salt mine will go up to support the increases in their cost of living? Even though the costs of producing and refining the salt have gone up too? Hmm. Seems to me like the biggest part of demand is the weekly paycheck folks who buy their beef at the grocery store and in restaurants when they go out to eat. Their resources in most cases are limited, and most can't readily increase their income. If gasoline and other energy costs go up like they have and because of that, everything else those folks purchase also increases in cost,they are going to be looking at alternatives at the grocery store. They may well prefer beef, but history shows they will sure eat a chicken. Not to mention that too many folks apparently already owe too much to Visa or Mastercard and the like and are streched pretty thin as it is. And so the cluckers and the squealers will look good to them. When money gets tight for any reason the pool of well heeled meat buyers who don't care what beef costs is fairly small. I hope you are right, but it seems like a very optimistic hill to plant your flag on.

Latest posts