Beef management Project

Help Support CattleToday:

agrikygal22

Reaction score
Hey all I am orginially from the noth but attending school in good ol westurn kentucky. For my beef systems glass we have to come up with a management plan with likkle information so I am doing research. I have ky-31 fescue that is endophyte infested and i am going to try seeding clove with it and then try to weed out all the bad fescue and possibly start over with a different type of fescue. for my warm seson grass I am going to use crabgrass but was wondering what else would be a good choice?
we have to have a stress free way for moving the cattle about stress free but the farm is 250 acres with a stream running down the middle of it and I need to build a corral and a facility for housing and such any suggestions are welcome thanks!
shannon

This is just a class project isn't it?
I mean not a real life situation?

agrikygal22,
Clover alone incorporated into the endophyte fescue should get rid of the majority of your endophyte problems from fescue. this is the easiest and cheapest way of gettting around the fescue issue. You are mainly looking for some alternative for them in the summer or warmer months. If you put clover in it will be a good alternative. Also if you have warm season grasses you look at keeping them off the fescue in summer months. I wouldn't necessarily look at getting rid of all the KY31. $$$$ will be a big factor. As far as handling cattle set up a pasture system where the animals can be easily moved from one pasture to the next. arial maps always come in handy. Visit NRCS for these then go and talk to a local Extension Agent.

Diehard40":wqpsqf28 said:
agrikygal22,
Clover alone incorporated into the endophyte fescue should get rid of the majority of your endophyte problems from fescue. this is the easiest and cheapest way of gettting around the fescue issue. You are mainly looking for some alternative for them in the summer or warmer months. If you put clover in it will be a good alternative. Also if you have warm season grasses you look at keeping them off the fescue in summer months. I wouldn't necessarily look at getting rid of all the KY31. $$$$ will be a big factor. As far as handling cattle set up a pasture system where the animals can be easily moved from one pasture to the next. arial maps always come in handy. Visit NRCS for these then go and talk to a local Extension Agent.

Excellent advice. I was hoping someone would throw something like this in. Keeps me from having to type so much

dun

I still think this is a what if project.
If you get to choose the shape make it a circle.
Then fence like a wagon wheel. Make your hub an octagon.
That will give you 8 60 acres pastures you can split with electric fence. Since you were given fescue and warm season grass I'd figure 1/4(2 of the 60 acre paddocks) of the pasture for warm season grasses. Put a culvert in the creek. This will keep the cows out of the water and let you move equipment across the stream. Figure a way to get water from the stream to each paddock. That will save the cost of a well. Place your handling facility in the paddock with outside road access. Follow the other advice for pasture management. You can buy alot of clover for the price of replanting the fescue.
Hope you check back in. Good Luck with the project.