Beef makes her sick

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
I feed out my fall born steers - usually around 3-5 head - so I sell them by the sides. I have a woman that was born & raised couple "blocks" away and went to school with my daughter. She contacted me and purchased a side of beef. When she picked it up, she said she couldn't eat beef because it made her really sick, so her husband was going to have a great time eating beef! Well, she ate a little of the hamburg - didn't get sick. Ate some more - didn't get sick. Finally, she took out a steak and ate the whole thing by herself. Raved about getting to eat beef again. She was over the top excited.
The only thing I could think of was store bought beef maybe has red die???
Anyone got any ideas?

It's not in her head, I have experience with children who have dye allergies get extremely sick eating store bought beef, but they can eat home grown just fine.

Bites from the Lone Star tick can cause an allergic reaction after you eat red meat. It is called Alpha-gal syndrome. After a bite from this tick, you may develop this condition. Then you have mild to severe reaction after eating red meat. The condition may be permanent. That would be a terrible condition to have. Probably does not apply to the situation presented above, but something to be aware of.

Bites from the Lone Star tick can cause an allergic reaction after you eat red meat. It is called Alpha-gal syndrome. After a bite from this tick, you may develop this condition. Then you have mild to severe reaction after eating red meat. The condition may be permanent. That would be a terrible condition to have. Probably does not apply to the situation presented above, but something to be aware of.
Beat me to it. I had STARI disease after getting bit by a Lone Star tick (wouldn't wish that on anyone!) and my fear was developing an allergic reaction. Fortunately, didn't happen, but during panic mode, my Dr. assured me it MAY happen and if it does, it MAY go away.

My brother was having severe anaphylactic shock, carried an Epi Pen around all the time, and they never could figure out exactly what was causing it. Hasn't had a reaction in over 10 years and his team can only assume he "grew out of it".

Had some folks wanting lamb and beef off and on that is grassfed. Said that the grain fed meat made them sick.

Some people also have allergies to corn and other grains and some have found that eating beef that is fed corn has caused them to have some allergic reactions but eating beef that is from just grass/hay fed and eating wild meat (venison etc) that does not eat much if any grains, is fine also.
Regardless, glad she has found that she can enjoy beef again... and if it is just from your animals, then they will continue to buy from you.

It's in her head.
BS ---- it is not in her head. There are several documented reasons that people have become unable to eat red meat, and just like people that have celiac disease, there are things that will trigger it and other times that they can tolerate some things. Partly is because there is wheat byproducts in so much, people with a sensitivity all of a sudden get full blown reactions...
I have a friend that is extremely sensitive to corn by products; do you know how many foods have corn products in them???? Come to find out, she eliminated ALL processed food, and after about 6 months, she actually ate some corn on the cob.... and had no reaction.....because she said she was willing to suffer the consequences because she wanted it so much. Tried something that had hi-fructose corn syrup and got very sick. Said that was it..... She is being careful, and not pushing her luck, but staying away from processed foods with any type of hi-fructose corn syrup, and other corn based byproducts.....
Drs all said it was in her head... she did every allergy test they made.... and finally when she started the elimination did she come up with this. Her chiropractor is the one who got her to try the elimination deal..... after 6 years of suffering.....

It could be in her head, or it could of been red meat disease.
There may have been a time she ate some beef and then became sick afterwards. Thus believing that all beef would make her sick.
I got sick once after eating fudge, it was years before I ate fudge again because it always made me feel sick looking at it, even though it wouldn't have made me sick if I did eat it. But the idea still lingered in my mind that the fudge made me sick.
The mind is a twisted, and cruel friend.

My Mom would get sick if she ate a steak but could eat fast food everyday and did. She has diabetes now and is having to eat keto. She always ate carbohydrates and no fat or protein.

A guy told me he raises beefalo because he can't eat beef because of the implants. It somehow upsets his system. I've never heard that about implants. Also not sure why he couldn't raise beef without implants. My take was that he's just skeptical of conventional ag, but maybe it's a thing??

A guy told me he raises beefalo because he can't eat beef because of the implants. It somehow upsets his system. I've never heard that about implants. Also not sure why he couldn't raise beef without implants. My take was that he's just skeptical of conventional ag, but maybe it's a thing??
Sounds like he believes anything he reads on the internet.

Thats either something he was told as a sales pitch or he is using it to sell his animals. It's really comical what some folks believe about agriculture. Yes anyone can raise any breed of cattle without implants I've done it for over 30 years.

Latest posts