Beef Judge

Help Support CattleToday:

show steer up

Reaction score
New Mexico state Fair
Beef- Mr. Tyler Norvell, Oklahoma

Sheep- MR. Scott Greiner, Virginia

Have no Idea who they are but I'm sure it will be loads of fun :D .

For our County Fair
Beef- Tyler Winegardner, Iowa

Sheep- Christina Nixon, Illinois We had her last year and she was great.

I've had Tyler Winegardner before. I liked the way he judged steers, but he judged the breeding heifers like steers, so a lot of people weren't happy about that.

redluv":3nwem1qf said:
I've had Tyler Winegardner before. I liked the way he judged steers, but he judged the breeding heifers like steers, so a lot of people weren't happy about that.

Most steer judges have no idea how to judge heifers.

Jovid":2zgrmv24 said:
redluv":2zgrmv24 said:

I do not often stray into this arena - but - not so sure I agree with that blanket statement.

I made a bit of a wave one time when I took the top five steers at a major show in Alberta and had the folks showing them wet them down completely to show us all what was under the hair. Prettiest steer actually ended up coming in fifth place. Average looking animal showed the best meat development. I was unpopular with some that day and others loved me - part of the game.

Heifers are the life blood of a ranch - any person who does not know how to look at a heifer sure does not know much about steers either.

Been out of judging for nearly 25 years now and I was in it for a long time.

You be careful where you make those statements - here is fine because you can hide behind a fake name and be the 10 foot tall pro - but those words will follow you everywhere if made in public - and that judge is a person who usually has a ton of time and experience. Probably a fair bit more than you - he has a long memory - and so do the others who might hear it.

In closing - if a judge does not pick your animal - or satisfy the local flavour of the area - the folks involved need to remember one thing - talk is cheap - but to stand up in front of a crowd and tell it like you think it should be takes big brass balls - you got them you try the judging game.

It is always an experience.

My very best

Bez+

show steer up":3c4fcm3b said:
New Mexico state Fair

For our County Fair

Hope you have fun

You seem to have the right attitude.

Bez+

Dr. Griener was the judging coach at Iowa State 12-15 years ago and ISU screwed up letting him get away, last I knew he is at Va. Tech. I worked the ring for him at a show when I was in college and I thought he did a very nice job getting them lined up. Good with the kids and you may not agree with what he did, but he could explain it to where you understood.

Info is a little old, but I really doubt that he's lost his way with the kids and if he's judging a state fair level show that would tell me that he still knows what he's doing with the stock.

Bez+":2m1hg901 said:
Jovid":2m1hg901 said:
redluv":2m1hg901 said:

I do not often stray into this arena - but - not so sure I agree with that blanket statement.

I made a bit of a wave one time when I took the top five steers at a major show in Alberta and had the folks showing them wet them down completely to show us all what was under the hair. Prettiest steer actually ended up coming in fifth place. Average looking animal showed the best meat development. I was unpopular with some that day and others loved me - part of the game.

Heifers are the life blood of a ranch - any person who does not know how to look at a heifer sure does not know much about steers either.

Been out of judging for nearly 25 years now and I was in it for a long time.

You be careful where you make those statements - here is fine because you can hide behind a fake name and be the 10 foot tall pro - but those words will follow you everywhere if made in public - and that judge is a person who usually has a ton of time and experience. Probably a fair bit more than you - he has a long memory - and so do the others who might hear it.

In closing - if a judge does not pick your animal - or satisfy the local flavour of the area - the folks involved need to remember one thing - talk is cheap - but to stand up in front of a crowd and tell it like you think it should be takes big brass balls - you got them you try the judging game.

It is always an experience.

My very best

Bez+

I think that is a great idea-kudos.

Thanks

One of the kids got a little snotty with me in the ring because I placed him second when they were dry - told me his Dad paid his fitter more than I made in a month so he could win while I was talking with him about his steer - "The money Dad paid was paid so I would NOT come in second mister!"

So I had the hoses brought in - I admit I wanted to place him last I was so angry - took a deep breathe and counted to about 50 and continued on - but the animal was good - he stayed in second - that was actually where he needed to be in my opinion - even before he teed me off. I thought it was a real good animal - just not quite as good as the one I placed first when wetted down.

There was a lot of ruckus about my impromptu bath. But no one demanded I be sanctioned - I actually expected it might happen.

In fact I truthfully told the crowd numbers one through five were all pretty nice and I would be very happy if they came from my herd.

It is not easy to stand up in front of a bunch of folks and make the call - anyone who beaches about judges needs to try it some time.

Bez+

Around here, there are judges who judge for only club calf traits or judge the animals for the breed or for market. The ones who only look for club calf traits get a lot of heat from the purebred breeders who show hereford, angus, charolais, etc. In a breeding heifer show, they want the heifer that is going to be able to go out in the pasture and produce calves as good as or better as she is. When the judge picks a bred heifer to win that should be in the market animal class, they hear it after the show.

Judging is hard. I have judged meat sheep and so often it comes down to preference. You go through that animal head to toe, everything is good, go through the next animal, everything is good there too. So then you have to look at the 2 compared, they're similar. Animal 1 has more eye appeal, so animal one wins. I think I may be judging cattle and paraders at the local show this year. Apparently they were looking for me last year for it. Should be interesting. My years of judging competitions with come into play :p

I like that hose idea though. That's really very interesting.

Bez+":2st1vf0s said:
One of the kids got a little snotty with me in the ring because I placed him second when they were dry - told me his Dad paid his fitter more than I made in a month so he could win while I was talking with him about his steer - "The money Dad paid was paid so I would NOT come in second mister!"
OMG, That would be my childs last year showing :mad:
Bez+":2st1vf0s said:
So I had the hoses brought in
WOW :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bez+":20a8bbgp said:
show steer up":20a8bbgp said:
New Mexico state Fair

For our County Fair

Hope you have fun

You seem to have the right attitude.

Bez+

thanks, that means a lot to me :D

Bez+":5gp4q6yo said:
Thanks

So I had the hoses brought in - I admit I wanted to place him last I was so angry - took a deep breathe and counted to about 50 and continued on - but the animal was good - he stayed in second - that was actually where he needed to be in my opinion - even before he teed me off. I thought it was a real good animal - just not quite as good as the one I placed first when wetted down.

There was a lot of ruckus about my impromptu bath. But no one demanded I be sanctioned - I actually expected it might happen.

In fact I truthfully told the crowd numbers one through five were all pretty nice and I would be very happy if they came from my herd.

It is not easy to stand up in front of a bunch of folks and make the call - anyone who beaches about judges needs to try it some time.

Bez+

I woulda blown my top and kicked his butt out of the ring, especially if it was a youth show. Snotty brat, being rude to the judge is unacceptable-maybe his dad should've spent the money on a better steer and etiquette classes for the kid rather than a fancy fitter.

Bez+":1wh9rixu said:
That's as bad as our state fair last year. A kid got reserve market lamb and when he got his ribbon, he threw it down in the wood chips and walked out of the ring while the judge still was talking. He didn't shake the judge's hand when he was selected reserve either.

Wow........I am appalled, that would get that kid banned from our fair and any other fair in New Mexico. It makes me sick just thinking about it. :mrgreen:

Show steer, I know Christina pretty well. We were actually on the same judging team for a while. She sure knows her sheep and I am sure she is great with the kids. I'm sure you will get along great.

I agree with you both, Bez and show steer up. It is pretty tough to judge shows and give a good competent set of reasons and to really be a good steer judge takes some knowledge of what it takes on the cow side to make those great steers. I have been doing a little bit of judging on the county fair circuit and I understand that if the steers are relatively close in their physiological make-up, that you want to give the nod to the kid that has spent the time with the calf and worked with the hair daily to get that extra advantage.

I'll admit that some of these big time show steers do have a lot of hair and that it can be used to hide some faults, but I also know that most judges at those big time shows can see through most of that hair, know most of the tricks themselves, and use steers that would compete pretty favorably even if it was a slick show. Not saying that they always get them that way, but most of the good judges I have seen at the big deals are that way.

I can see both sides of the hair/grooming issue. I grew up in the show ring and it has taught me a lot of good lessons about life and cattle. I plan to raise my kids that way too if they want. I understand how much work and dedication it takes to feed them right and get their hair to work right. We also feed out all of our own cattle that don't make seedstock and sell fats at the sale barn and freezer beef to our neighbors so our cattle have to perform there as well. I get the fact that they have to work in the real world.

I think if people understood better how to bring those show cattle back down off of feed properly and get them aclimated to being a real world cow again, many of these fancy show cattle that some people write off as never making a cow would fit in a bit better. Some of them may not ever though, as a lot depends upon the environment that they were raised in and the environment they are dumped into as cows. Just my two thoughts......

ShuterSunset":n0k2rcoj said:
I agree with you both, Bez and show steer up. It is pretty tough to judge shows and give a good competent set of reasons and to really be a good steer judge takes some knowledge of what it takes on the cow side to make those great steers. I have been doing a little bit of judging on the county fair circuit and I understand that if the steers are relatively close in their physiological make-up, that you want to give the nod to the kid that has spent the time with the calf and worked with the hair daily to get that extra advantage.
I agree, I wish at the county fair level around here judges would pay more attention to some of the animals that aren't all fluffy. Sometimes, you can put a calf in a cooler from March to showtime and the calf still won't have anything, but you can tell they tried. But when it comes to showmanship, and the kid with the calf who doesn't have any hair (who you can tell tried and failed) and the kid with the hairy animal are neck and neck for first, the judge will still give the kid with the hairy calf kudos for getting the animal that way and place them first. I know, judge's opinion that day, it still makes me sad to see. JMO

ShuterSunset":hwhtv12q said:
Show steer, I know Christina pretty well. We were actually on the same judging team for a while. She sure knows her sheep and I am sure she is great with the kids. I'm sure you will get along great.

My son showed lambs for the first time last year and let me say, that young lady can pick her animals. She is fast, polite, excellent with the kids and consistent. I didn't hear anyone mad about her placing and when it was presented to the board to renew her second year. There was not a protest against her. My kids are very excited to show under her again.

What really impressed me was, my sons lamb was 1lb heavy of getting into the medium weight class. We were bummed because she was the lightest heavyweight. That is not a good place to be. The lamb was put together and I told my son before the show, it's a hard break in the class but the lamb can hold her own. There where over 40 lamb in the class and he took 3rd. Grand and Reserve were 1 and 2 in his class. That Judge placed the smallest lamb in the class 3rd and what a thrill that was. She is not about the size as much as she is for overall quality.

He then went on to take Reserve County bred

P1010006.jpg

I was trying to take a picture of a picture and cut off my sons head..oops :? Ill try and get a better pic tomorrow.

red angus shower":1cawx8rt said:
I agree, I wish at the county fair level around here judges would pay more attention to some of the animals that aren't all fluffy. Sometimes, you can put a calf in a cooler from March to showtime and the calf still won't have anything, but you can tell they tried. But when it comes to showmanship, and the kid with the calf who doesn't have any hair (who you can tell tried and failed) and the kid with the hairy animal are neck and neck for first, the judge will still give the kid with the hairy calf kudos for getting the animal that way and place them first. I know, judge's opinion that day, it still makes me sad to see. JMO

And an excellent opinion it is :clap:
I feel for you, that's why I stressed getting a cooler barn and if you own breeding cattle don't have good coats maybe you should try buying a show animal that has a proven line for thick coats. Never compromise quality for a coat because in the long run you have to be satisfied with that animal. But try every year to outdo your last animal and you do this baby steps at a time.
Another thing my kids do is they have their money steer's "STAR and Cha' Ching" and if you look in the background of some of their pics they have a red steer "Tyler" and a baldie "Travis". We don't post many pics of them because they are not our big contenders. They were purchased to offset the purchase prices of the other two animals. No matter what win loose or draw, they have buyers for all the cattle. They will make better money if the two cheaper steers make auction but will make enough money to buy better cattle next year.
We also consider Star and Cha' Ching their Showmanship steers "Coats" and the auction ringers are their cheaper cattle. Does that make any sense.
It kills to loose showmanship to a coat but believe me you can win without one. You just have to be 100 times better than them, I've done it and so can you.

Latest posts