Beef Jerky

Help Support CattleToday:

I have been making beef jerky for several years. This is the recipe that everyone wants a copy of. I am not sure if everyone can get these igredients, but, here it is.
10 lbs Eye of Round
2 bottles of Allegro Creole (orange top)
1 teaspoon of Willingham's Cajun Hot Rub

Mix seasoning and Allegro together. Slice meat about 1/4" thick. Place in gallon zipper bag in refrigerator for no less than 24 hours. Drain, and place in dehydrator. I have an Excalibur dehydrator, and it takes at least 10 hours to dry.

I made some one time. Marinated in Barq's root beer. It was pretty good. I can't remember much else about it. We had just gotten a dehydrater for Christmas!

I have never tried a smoker. I think my smoker heats up a bit more than my dehydrator. Once I tried to dry a large amount of beef, more than I could get in my dehydrator, and put it in the oven at the lowest convection tempature. It cooked it too much. It was good, but not like it was out of the dehydrator.

ga. prime":3baqy4xz said:
Do you mean common Black Cherry?

I mean the cherry scraps from the cabinet shop where I work. I don't know the exact species. I think it comes from various sources, but it would be lumber grade.

Try smoking salmon or trout with cherry sometime. The finished product is so bitter as to be unpalatable, works good with meat though.

dun

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Jerky.
We tried a smoker once, and we prefer the dehydrator. Tasted perty good, 'sept for the fact thet we might have had it in there too long, and it dried out.
What is y'alls preferance of jerky. Storebought, or homemade?

We make venison jerky marinated in a concoction with liquid smoke, wochester (sp) powdered garlic, onion powder, cracked pepper, honey, and some more stuff I can't remember. I like homemade best expecially when it is not too crunchy.

I have smoked homemade sausage in the smoker but nerver made jerky in it. We use the dehydrator for the jerky. It turns out sooooooo good and makes the house smell GREAT!!!!

Chuckie, I don't have a personal problem with you at all and in fact am going to try your beef jerky recipe, but your avatar makes me cringe. At the risk of drawing huge amounts of criticism upon myself, I ask that you change it to something more serene.

ga. prime":wuos2gn8 said:
Chuckie, I don't have a personal problem with you at all and in fact am going to try your beef jerky recipe, but your avatar makes me cringe. At the risk of drawing huge amounts of criticism upon myself, I ask that you change it to something more serene.

Wasn't going to say anything but now that ga.prime brought it up I'm going to have to second his motion and call for a vote. I like you too Chuckie but every time I see that dang picture it makes me want to put a whooping on something. You're selling yourself short with that cotton picking avatar. Nothing against you though.

Craig-TX

I can't look at the picture but I always laugh at the humor in. I wondered who would be the first to break...me or someone else. I'm laughing right now.

Chuckie - I have to agree with everyone else. I am scared I will have bad night mares if I look at your avatar :shock: . Please change it. Thank You! :D

Latest posts