Beef Jerky

Help Support CattleToday:

Earl Thigpen

Reaction score
I done the search routine on this topic but only came away with deer jerky. I read one comment from Jo back in 2006 where he commented about some really good jerky seasoning available at Wal-Mart. Does anyone know if that stuff is still available? Also, what's your favorite dehydrator?

As much as my family loves jerky I don't know why I haven't made a bunch of the stuff before. Can't be that difficult.

I wanted to make some jerky the other day cause I killed a trophy buck at 1200 yards that was running at full sprint across a field in a blizzard with 40 mph gusts of wind blowing. As the deer jumped a school bus, I shot it in mid-air (sorry Backhoe - no backstop) killing it dead in flight. :mrgreen: Figured some jerky would be good. So I talked to the manager at Walmart the other day and asked where the seasoning was. He said they only got it in at Christmas.

While my hunting tale is quite the stretch of the truth, the seasonings I'm going to recommend are wonderful and don't need no truth stretching.

Call this number here - 1-800-328-8313 and order some of these seasoning packs for jerky. They are wonderful. Here are my favorites but they have more. (1) Hickory Blend - product # 06-0040 (2) Original Blend - #06-0039 (3) Mesquite Blend # 06-0041 and Mandarin Teriyaki Blend #06-0044.

Each packet will do 15 lbs of meat and cost is about $7 a pack. The good thing about them too is they have instructions for doing it in your oven. If you do it just like they suggest and don't go second guessing the instructions you will make some of the best jerky you've ever eaten.

Jogeephus":3oqtkif2 said:
I wanted to make some jerky the other day cause I killed a trophy buck at 1200 yards that was running at full sprint across a field in a blizzard with 40 mph gusts of wind blowing. As the deer jumped a school bus, I shot it in mid-air (sorry Backhoe - no backstop) killing it dead in flight. :mrgreen: Figured some jerky would be good. So I talked to the manager at Walmart the other day and asked where the seasoning was. He said they only got it in at Christmas.

While my hunting tale is quite the stretch of the truth, the seasonings I'm going to recommend are wonderful and don't need no truth stretching.

Call this number here - 1-800-328-8313 and order some of these seasoning packs for jerky. They are wonderful. Here are my favorites but they have more. (1) Hickory Blend - product # 06-0040 (2) Original Blend - #06-0039 (3) Mesquite Blend # 06-0041 and Mandarin Teriyaki Blend #06-0044.

Each packet will do 15 lbs of meat and cost is about $7 a pack. The good thing about them too is they have instructions for doing it in your oven. If you do it just like they suggest and don't go second guessing the instructions you will make some of the best jerky you've ever eaten.

At least you didn;t throw in the part about it being a 300 Wby mag and instead of shooting it and wasting meat you shot in front of it's nose so that the bullet sucked all the oxygen out of it's lungs and it suffocated

American Harvest. Got a dehydrator for Christmas a few years ago from my sis. Love it, made tonnes of jerkey. My favorite concoction is pepperoni ,regular and spicy mixed together. 1 pack per pound so if I do 10 pounds I will use 4 reg 4 pepp. and 2 spicy, or I have even cut it back to pack to 1 and 1/2 pounds to cut down on the salt and just dehydrate longer. You can order everything on line and what I really like is that you can use ground beef to make it as well if you like.

Thanks for bringing this up as I haven't made any in a long time, will have to get on that right away.. :D

dun":wfv6tbr2 said:
At least you didn;t throw in the part about it being a 300 Wby mag and instead of shooting it and wasting meat you shot in front of it's nose so that the bullet sucked all the oxygen out of it's lungs and it suffocated

Nah. No point in that. Everyone knows I bow hunt! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

We got something like this a few years back.
SSFD10-2T.jpg

It works good and can do about 7 to 8 pounds at a time. It dose have 10 shelves that pic dose not show it and got it used for $250. We have put $50 into parts in 3 years but it runs almost every day for 3 months straight.

Below is the basic recipes my wife uses, she adds more or less of everything depending on how she feels that day. Most of the family would rather get a few pounds of jerky then us get them presents. We use this for beef, goat, deer, snake, and rabbit.

3 pounds or so meat sliced thin.
2/3 cup soy sauce
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup Worcestershire
1/4 cup white wine (must be something you would drink)
2 tablespoons of each; fine black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, liquid smoke, and sea salt
Sometimes she adds, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, round ginger, hot sauce, teriyaki flavoring, concentrated OJ, honey, old bay, hickory smoke, vinegar, A1, or what ever you can find.
Let soak for at least 12 hours and go for it.

Jogeephus":3vcxp1tf said:
dun":3vcxp1tf said:

Nah. No point in that. Everyone knows I bow hunt! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Jo I bet you only had practice tips on the arrow
I know broadheads take the sport out of it for you
are you like a friend of mine and only use a longbow also

Angus Cowman":380b2jo2 said:

You got one of those purist friends too! Dang. I thought I was the only one who knew someone who did that. :clap: :lol2: :lol2: I don't guess your friend happens to live in Atlanta does he? It is, afterall, a small world and this world can't have that many long bow hunters.

I also got a buddy who killed one with one of those Walmart Bowie knives. Well, technically he killed it but it was almost a draw. Had we not been close enough to hear his screams for help I'd say it would have been a draw.

Jogeephus":2hwy8ksf said:
Angus Cowman":2hwy8ksf said:

You got one of those purist friends too! Dang. I thought I was the only one who knew someone who did that. :clap: :lol2: :lol2: I don't guess your friend happens to live in Atlanta does he? It is, afterall, a small world and this world can't have that many long bow hunters.

I also got a buddy who killed one with one of those Walmart Bowie knives. Well, technically he killed it but it was almost a draw. Had we not been close enough to hear his screams for help I'd say it would have been a draw.
yes Jo I have one of those purist friends also and no he don't live in Atlanta but he has been on the cover of several mountain man Mags he was on one of my horses on one cover no bridle or anything going at a full run thru a creek I will see if I can find a pic it was cool looking

We all about fell over when he bought a 4 wheeler to run his trap lines with he trapped enough one winter to pay for it

As far as his long bow goes he made it himself out of Osage Orange or hedge as we hill folks call it
Also he can tell stories that rival yours Jo

So what cut of meat would you use if it were beef? I was thinking of giving the Hub one of those dehydrators for Christmas. We eat it all the time. My sons will fight over it.

Lammie, I think any cut would be good. Personally, I prefer a roast type cut cause it makes it easier for me to cut up with my board. I've never used brisquit but have used about every other kind of cut.

Lammie":2i0rm24o said:
So what cut of meat would you use if it were beef? I was thinking of giving the Hub one of those dehydrators for Christmas. We eat it all the time. My sons will fight over it.

Lammie, it is best to use a cut that is lean like a rump roast and cut it very thin. Fat has a funny taste once dried and also it takes longer. You can buy a jerky gun that uses ground beef/meat. Season your ground beef and load into tube on gun, it comes out in long lines like pasta. Dry it and cut to sizes you like. It works great and is a fab way to use ground beef which is cheaper than a roast. I like using ground beef more so than a roast as you do not have to slice it ,also the seasoning goes right through the mixture. The gun holds a pound of meat at a time so it takes no time at all to do up 10 lbs..Once dried I put it in freezer bags and throw them in the freezer until they are needed.

It's a good gift, your hubby will love it. :)

Latest posts