Beef industry takes a direct hit!

Help Support CattleToday:

NCLiz 3":2iduzvq4 said:
Did you boys miss this?
PS If you'll insist in calling me Sir Loin, just put a Mrs. in front of it and all will be fine.
And yes the same post is there and it is also on several other boards. :lol2:
We like to get as many opinions as possible.
Liz
We as in the other members of the think tank?

ibetyamissedme":18hb2ab2 said:
NCLiz 3":18hb2ab2 said:
Did you boys miss this?
PS If you'll insist in calling me Sir Loin, just put a Mrs. in front of it and all will be fine.
And yes the same post is there and it is also on several other boards. :lol2:
We like to get as many opinions as possible.
Liz
You mean there are actually other members? I just thought it was SL, and all of his split personalities.

OMG no. you'll are lab rats and half of you are blind and are leading the other half.
Liz
BAZINGA!

NCLiz 3":1z19l64q said:
OMG no. you'll are lab rats and half of you are blind and are leading the other half.
Liz
BAZINGA!

ya'll should change your group name from "Think Tank" to "Troll Tank" If the truth was known all of you probably still live in your moms basement. most of your rhetoric is not designed to create open discussions but to get biased opinions for your so called research. NONE of you could survive in the real world where common sense and practical applications gets a job done. I have been around your kind and while you can dazzle your peers with your book learning out here where the job gets done you would be as worthless as tits on a boar hog.

Interesting articles. Sounds about like I had envisioned. Probably didn't pay the right bureaucrat what he asked for. Its amazing how you can have a USDA inspector on site and a veterinarian on site and the meat be recalled for a reasons the USDA cannot even put a finger on. Sounds like a guy I know who received a call asking for a $10,000 political donation else the inspectors would show up with promises they would find something. What do you do?

This is what caught my eye.
"cancer of the eye, as especially common"
Blindness leads to cancer eye. And both are symptoms of PEM.
Also, an appearance of "disease and unsoundness " are both symptom of PEM.
Liz

This may better help you understand how PEM works.
This should show you that you can diagnose PEM by the symptoms but can only confirm your diagnoses by a necropsy.

In the Walmart case, no necropsy is possible, so you have to rely on the symptoms to determine why these animals were in the condition they were in.

Here is a reported case where the water was found to be the cause.
Note the symptoms and the feed was not tested and "
"The number of cases of sulfur-induced PEM has increased dramatically in the past few years "
Sulfur-induced polioencephalomalacia in a herd of rotationally grazed beef cattle
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC340301/

Oh! Man! I better go get rid of all of my sulfur blocks
There may be more truth in that than you realize, if your cattle start showing symptoms of PEM.
And you can add free choice granular minerals and protein tubs. Which are high in sulfur, to that also.

The National Research Council guidelines indicate that a 533 kg crossbred cow consuming 11.14 kg of feed daily (approximately 2% body weight) would have a maximum tolerated daily dose of 44.6 g of sulfur
But then you would have to know and recognize the symptoms, wouldn't you!!
Or you could wait until they drop dead and have a necropsy done, which is what most cattleman seem to be doing. Or they just say: that just part of the cattle business, you win some you lose some.
Liz

ibetyamissedme":2ang7vvl said:
NCLiz 3":2ang7vvl said:
This is what caught my eye.
"cancer of the eye, as especially common"
Blindness leads to cancer eye. And both are symptoms of PEM.
Also, an appearance of "disease and unsoundness " are both symptom of PEM.
Liz
Your limited knowledge of cattle astonishes me.

Critical thinking like SL uses is why recalls like this happen. They were USDA inspected but they did not ''find'' what they thought they should have. There inspectors and they set up the system, but it is the packers fault. Before it is over we will find out that there were ethanol bi-products at the root of this problem. :bang:

NCLiz 3":1b4mrc4u said:
The National Research Council guidelines indicate that a 533 kg crossbred cow consuming 11.14 kg of feed daily (approximately 2% body weight) would have a maximum tolerated daily dose of 44.6 g of sulfur

Wow....44.6 grams of sulfur. Do you know how much sulfur typically occurs in feed??

Wow....44.6 grams of sulfur. Do you know how much sulfur typically occurs in feed??

No I sure don't! That is what this discussion is all about!
But I do know this:

With maximum diet sulfur levels for cattle suggested at 0.3-0.4%, in the right scenario, adding a supplemental feed could quickly surpass even a well-adjusted cow's ability to avoid toxicity.
The issue is that some ethanol plants clean with sulfuric acid, and each batch of DDGs could contain anywhere from 0.4% to 1% sulfur,"
http://beefmagazine.com/pasture-range/c ... nge-cattle
And I also know this: In my area when pastured fed ( water, pasture and hay only ) my cows receive around .3% of sulfur in their daily intake.
And I can also do simple math and 3 + 4 =7 and 3 + 1.0 = 1.3.
And logic tells me if I do any supplemental feeding, I " could quickly surpass even a well-adjusted cow's ability to avoid toxicity".
And that is for a " well-adjusted cow ".What do you think a ,7 – 1.3% does to a non- well-adjusted calf, that has been just weaned, placed on water, pasture, hay and is fed feed at a rate of 2% of his body weight, as recommended .
Now what is so hard to understand about that?
Liz

ibetyamissedme":1mvajaxb said:
NCLiz 3":1mvajaxb said:
And I can also do simple math and 3 + 4 =7 and 3 + 1.0 = 1.3.

Liz
Man you destroy simple math, I wonder what kind of disaster you would make with multiplication and division.
Maybe that should be "Math for the simple minded". :lol2: :lol2: