Beef cow with mastitis

Help Support CattleToday:

cowpunk'd

Reaction score
I have a cow that calved yesterday morning, this is her 8th calf. The calf is very vigorous but it is only nursing three quarters. One rear quarter it will suck a couple times, but then give up on and move to a different quarter. By now that one quarter looks pretty big, plus the teat is funny shaped (partly ballooned out, it was like that last lactation too). Also it is sore. I was able to sneak up behind this cow while the calf nursed and try to milk that quarter, I got one little stream of milk then nothing, so I see why the calf gives up on it. The cow has always been a real high milk producer, so unless the bad quarter starts effecting the other three I'm not worried about this tiny heifer getting enough. The cow has been gaining weight on grass well and doesn't look sick. I plan to cull the cow after the heifer is weaned, should I have this cow on antibiotics now? Is it likely the mastitis will spread to the other quarters, or possibly to other cows? I am thinking she will make better hamburger without the antibiotics, but I do have some procaine penicillin on hand. I already know I can't milk out the quarter, she kicks really hard.

You don't have a chute to milk the quarter out? If that was the case, then you could put mastitis injectable solution into the quarter (Its a small plastic white syringe that you should be able to get at you local feed store...it's typically used for dairy cows, so it might be in the dairy section. They make a dry and lactating cow solution, so make sure you buy the lactating cow one.)

Short of that, there isn't much you can go. Avoid penicillin and use low-pain oxytetracycline instead. Give her shots for 3-5 days and that may keep the swelling down a bit and let the calf get on that quarter. Otherwise, the quarter will eventually harden (or burst and then harden). It won't spread to other quarters and it won't affect other cows.

Cows that produce too much milk are more of a hassle than cows that produce to little.

here is a tip so she won't kick you. first put her in the chute. You need two people for this.
person 1
take her tail, do not twist, and in a large C drape her tail over her back. do not do it tight will damage the spine.
Person 2
milk the cow. works 98% of the time. Best way to get her over her masitis is to milk out and anti biotics like Arron says,
add in a anti inflamitory like Anafin.
Good lucj

Tried that trick with my old milk cow and got kicked out of the pen.
A Stop Kick works well. It is a little more difficult to place on a beef cow compared to a milk cow, but it can be done.
If you do not want to buy one get her in a pen with a head catch and toss a rope under her belly, bring it up on both sides right in front of her bag and start tightening it up, I mean tight. Knot it on top, you know you have it tight enough when she tries to kick and doesn't. If she does kick tighten it some more.
With some warm water wash that quater, then with a clean glass milk just a couple of squirts into that glass and take a look at the milk. Is there funny looking particles in it? Is there puss? Does it smell bad? Milk fresh from a cow smells different then the stuff you get from the store.
Does the quarter feel really hot? Is it red?
Also get right in close to the flank, she will still get you a slight kick, but not as bad as if you were working at arms length.

When I snuck up behind the cow and milked that quarter, I could only get one little stream of milk to come out, then nothing. I tried the other rear teat and she had lots of milk there, so it wasn't my poor milking abilities, and she wasn't holding back the milk because her calf was nursing at the same time. The teat felt normal but her udder on that quarter was very firm and obviously sore. I guess her teat or quarter could be full of scar tissue that is partialy blocking the flow, or maybe swelling? But I think to milk out the quarter I might have to insert a cannula, yikes. I will try to get a couple squirts into a glass to see if the milk is bloody or clumpy next, thanks everbody for the suggestions.

Latest posts