Beef cow newbie - don't know what I don't know!

Help Support CattleToday:

Timmer

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got 2 Angus yearlings ordered for April arrival and a processing appointment in late October. I'd like to get as good of quality of meat as possible. This is both for hobby and food, and I'm willing to spend some money to do it right. I've spent the last 2.5 years growing pasture grasses, but I live on sand, so I would say my quality is moderate. My main question is how and what to supplement. Any other feedback and recommendations is welcome!

Thanks!

Welcome to CT! Lots of good people and info here.
A lot will depend on what your calves are eating when you get them. Typically a growing ration is 1% of their body weight in corn each day. A finishing ration is 2% of their body in in corn each day. A 32% type grower supplement will be fine.

At risk of asking a dumb question, when do you go to "finishing?" We will have them approximately 6 months.

I finished my first two last year. I followed what has been said here. I got too much fat. I expect that is because of the animal?

Do you know approximate weight they will be when you get them?

Since you are going to have them for six months and have some pasture, I would feed them for a few days in an enclosed area to get them used to feed and you. Then supplemental feed them while on pasture for a couple months. At a point between 3-4 months, I would pull them off of pasture and put them in a smaller area and as others have said slowly build up their feed. I prefer a ration of pretty much corn shelled or cracked, I use shelled. If they don't eat that readily it can be mixed with any basic feed ration that is available and suitable for finishing cattle. I would recommend not feeding anything with corn gluten in it. If it is part of the ration then dilute down by feeding adding a high percentage of corn.

We were told we can expect them to be around 800lbs.
If you have them for six months I would expect them to gain between 5-600lbs.
When they get around 1,100lbs then transition to finishing.
Once I get a group eating well I usually bump them up 1/2lb a week.