Beef Cow Kill ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Reports are that beef cow slaughter is down 18% to 20% from a year ago, and that heifer slaughter is down 8% from a year ago. I looked at my hard cull'in list - - and there was only three that absolutely have to go. I had planned to sell a lot more cows. I will keep the top half of my heifers as usual. What are your plans ?

Would have to look at the numbers, but likely culled more cows this year than in the last two combined. I know I haven't gotten this picky with cows since 2010 - but the value of them has doubled since then. Only people here buying bred cows or heifers are ones trying to hide income. Lots of people advertising bred cows for sale, but no one biting.

I have a lot of culling to do.. haven't culled anything in 2 years (except for the ones that went tits up). I think with some of them I'm going to calve them out, feed them surplus hay, perhaps not breed them back, and ship them in the fall. I have 3 of them that are prolapse prone if they don't get enough exercise, so they'll go for sure, then another couple that I don't ever plan on keeping a heifer from.
I kept 3 of 8 heifers this year, one may go depending on how she produces.. Last year I kept 4 of 10, and one of those is super leggy and doesn't fit the bill of how I want my cows to look, though she may still perform well.

I think most people with real cattle herds aren't biting for these bred cows because they're asking a whole lot of money for them, and who knows the future... The ones who do buy are people who probably don't make a living off it.

I'd like to know WHY the slaughter numbers are down... is it because of the supply side or the demand side.. without knowing that how can you make any good judgements

Nesikep":wszxutg2 said:
I'd like to know WHY the slaughter numbers are down... is it because of the supply side or the demand side.. without knowing that how can you make any good judgements

I assume imports only effect slaughter # if they are trucked in live.

Supply is still down. Cow herd is reported down 2 to 3% from last year - - so 15 to 18% of the "culls" are going to have one (or two) more calves. Plenty of cow quality feed here to make it happen. Hay prices have dropped when corn went below $3. Could be a sweet ride for some silage queens.

I am buying cows but not heifers. My better culls are worth $1700 to kill - - so I rationalize ;-) up a bit from there. My figure'in says $1925, but I have paid more in a weak moment.

Aaron":1zng9svo said:
Would have to look at the numbers, but likely culled more cows this year than in the last two combined. I know I haven't gotten this picky with cows since 2010 - but the value of them has doubled since then.

I initially saw this as a chance to upgrade the herd too, but then I ended up with a mountain of feed.

i am keeping a big run of heifers/buying some heifers. Worst possible time to do that, but I picked 2014 years ago, as my year of expansion. Might as well stick with a plan. Failure to plan ahead, is like planning to fail.

Bigfoot":49c2889y said:
i am keeping a big run of heifers/buying some heifers. Worst possible time to do that, but I picked 2014 years ago, as my year of expansion. Might as well stick with a plan. Failure to plan ahead, is like planning to fail.

Well said Bigfoot. I agree totally. I am doing the same

By some miracle or dumb luck, I'm maximum capacity right now and will have to do some selling next year. By next year I'll have about 7 of 27 cows 10 years old or older, 3 of which I could cull any time I felt like it.. they still produce, but I won't retain a heifer from them. I also have 3 younger cows that are somewhat troublesome or poor producers.. They've been around this long only because I haven't been at full capacity, and a small calf is still better than none. I think about 25 cows is the right stocking rate for me (2 cows/acre) if I want to have grass for the odd steer or prospect bull.

I have one girl that needs to go, she had a dead calf this year. She is 4, and in great condition, I just need to load her and take her. I figure it is not worth feeding her another year, we are already overloaded and need to downsize.

We have 3 cows that are thin and bouncing back like they should, and 2 cows that need to go for temperament. We don't have any more land for growth right now, so we are keeping equal number of heifers to replace those. With plans to replace 3-4 cows a year we should be on track for a younger herd and easy keepers before too long.

Fire Sweep Ranch":11ufcvrw said:
I have one girl that needs to go, she had a dead calf this year. She is 4, and in great condition, I just need to load her and take her. I figure it is not worth feeding her another year, we are already overloaded and need to downsize.

You should have sent her with Inyati when he hauled off the heifer.

TennesseeTuxedo":vzr2uoo9 said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":vzr2uoo9 said:

You should have sent her with Inyati when he hauled off the heifer.

Good point TT! She is Ronnie's dam, so Ron would have loved her :lol: He saw her several times in the herd while he was here.... but alas she is open and he needs her about as much as I do!

i dont see killer prices going down anytime soon.because there arnt enough killers to keep up with the demand now.thats why your seeing some packers closing down.