beef cow in poor health

Help Support CattleToday:

poorfarm

Reaction score
i have a longhorn cow with 3 1/2 mo. calf. she is a bag of bones. have increased feed, has good grass.
she eats well but not gaining any weight. this has been going on for 3 weeks. also has the runs, but i assume this is from the new grass.... was wormed 1 month ago.. any help apprc.

Age of cow?
Wormed with what 1 month ago?
Any other vaccinations given regularly? If so, what?
Any mineral supplements given (bolus, in feed, or other)?
Temperature of cow?
How's the calf look?

...need some more info please and then the folks here can develop a best guess...

Could be any number of things.. What was her condition BEFORE she calved?

Cattle don't suddenly go from BCS 5 or 6 to 3 or 4 (or worse) overnight. Usually takes several weeks. Anyway, my "guess" is that she wasn't getting sufficient nutrients before and following calving. Also, the diarrhea could be due to sudden diet change into too green, high protein grass. Could also be caused by coccidiosis. Hopefully it isn't a case of Bovine Virus Diarrhea (BVD).

Sometimes if an animal has a heavy parasite load one needs to "power pack" de-wormers and give them frequently (Consult your Vet on this).

When an animal falls behind the power curve on BCS (say, BCS 2, 3, or 4), it can take weeks (months in a worst case) to regain condition with proper food, minerals.

Might want to take a stool sample and have it analyzed. Also, I'd definitely call the Vet on this.

JMO

Latest posts