Beef cow coughing

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Beef cow at 10 years old. After last calf(calf killed by dogs), 2 months later started hanging head low, coughing with weight loss at 200 lbs.
Cow flops appear normal, still eats with other animals, but seems to be a bit "spooky".
Thanks in advance for information.
Shepard

Fever- some sort of pneumonia or something of the sort. Depressed temp - may be a wire(hardware disease)

dun

Shepard":fl7s5eri said:
Beef cow at 10 years old. After last calf(calf killed by dogs), 2 months later started hanging head low, coughing with weight loss at 200 lbs.
Cow flops appear normal, still eats with other animals, but seems to be a bit "spooky".
Thanks in advance for information.
Shepard

I like Dun's thoughts on fever/ hardware problems but has she been wormed lately? I've seen them start to fall off weight wise even before their "flops" gets thin.

;-)

Thanks to you both.
We had had some wet, windy, cold weather a few weeks back, so you could be right about the "Fever- some sort of pneumonia".

I usually do the worming each year about this time or April.
Always something. My bones hurt to with wet,windy,cold weather.

Thanks again.

Shepard

"may be a wire(hardware disease) "

Not familar with this disease. Or being in a different part of the woods, we may call it something else.

Shepard[/quote]

Hardware disease is what happens when your cow sucks up a nail or a piece of wire while its grazing. The nail or whatever will sit in the stomach and cause the cow a great deal of pain. There have been cases where it will puncture the stomach wall and go into the heart, killing the animal. The cow will usually walk around with a hunched back and will be in pain and lose condition. Usually feeding them a magnet will hold the nail from poking through the side of the stomach and help the cow recover.

Cattle R Rancher, Just what I need, a cow that eats nails and barbwired.
I guess when you have animals anything can happen. I've got a dog that loves roofing nails. Its true. Never had a cow with this problem. Sure hope this is not the problem with the cow.
Did notice today she was drooling(?) a lot. Maybe a bad cold or
pneumonia.
Thanks.

Latest posts