Beef check off

Help Support CattleToday:

Scotty

Reaction score
IF they decide it is unconstitutional. Would you be willing to volunteer one dollar per at the barn or your place of market. I would, simply because I think it works and has helped the industry.

Scotty

Scotty":2unwkp8v said:
IF they decide it is unconstitutional.

Scotty

Is there some push to repeal the beef checkoff? I haven't heard about this - just wondering about more details?

To answer you question, yes, on a voluntary basis I would be willing to pay $1 at the barn.

TXBobcat":ptpy6f2i said:
Scotty":ptpy6f2i said:
IF they decide it is unconstitutional.

Scotty

Is there some push to repeal the beef checkoff? I haven't heard about this - just wondering about more details?

To answer you question, yes, on a voluntary basis I would be willing to pay $1 at the barn.

TXBobcat- Several federal and appeals courts have ruled the BEEF Checkoff is unconstitutional--The US Supreme Court is hearing oral arguments on it today and are expected to rule on it sometime between now and June.............

Scotty":3jp2vzd4 said:
IF they decide it is unconstitutional. Would you be willing to volunteer one dollar per at the barn or your place of market.
Scotty, its probably not going to be voluntary. At least, not in Texas, Ohio, and several other states with Beef Councils. The legislature passed, and Governor Perry has signed, a law that would provide for a referendum for a statewide mandatory checkoff. Of course, I understand that LMA is already talking about having their shyster lawyers file suit over these state checkoff plans. Since I agree with you on the value of the Checkoff, what I will do on a voluntary basis, is volunteer to do my business with salebarns that don't support LMA in these actions!

TXBobcat":3jp2vzd4 said:
Bobcat, I'm surprised that you haven't seen this article. ;-) This should fill you in on a few more details, as well as the Texas alternative:

http://www.txfb.org/TexasAgriculture/2003/110703/110703checkoff.htm

I have heard some rumblings about declaring the beef checkoff unconstitutional, but I didn't know the part about

the Texas Legislature passed a law providing the opportunity to establish a state beef check-off program. The bill was signed into law by Gov. Rick Perry on Oct. 13.

Thanks for the info.

Had not heard of a state check off. Thats not one and individual would want to miss. Thanks

Scotty

You know it seems strange that when lawyers from LMA file suit they are shysters, but when NCBA lawyers do the same they are the protectors of freedom :cry: All some of us wont is the chance to vote on the checkoff issue :idea:

houstoncutter":9iwl600s said:
You know it seems strange that when lawyers from LMA file suit they are shysters, but when NCBA lawyers do the same they are the protectors of freedom :cry:
Cutter, the difference to me is that LMA's lawyers are working to take away my free speech to satisfy their own financial motives. I'm talking about the free speech that the Checkoff provides me to advertise and to help promote demand and create new products! And now that my state wants to provide a substitute, LMA plans to have their shyster lawyers attack that, too!

houstoncutter":9iwl600s said:
All some of us wont is the chance to vote on the checkoff issue :idea:
Tell that to the LMA. The referendum idea was fine with me. But, I guess that wasn't good enough for LMA. They're the ones who decided to expand their lawsuit against USDA to challenge the Checkoff on constitutional grounds, too. So, instead of just a chance to vote on it, we may get the whole thing thrown out!

Texan, I really dont think they had much other choice. The numbers of producers that wanted to vote were there. Then the folks that were proponets of the checkoff rolled out there lawyers to stop the vote. So in this case Texan we will have to disagree about who broke out the shyster lawyers. Now its turned into a case of who's lawyer can do the best job. Thats a shame because the whole thing could have been avoided if we would have had a vote on the checkoff

Latest posts