Beef check off

Help Support CattleToday:

Sorry I just don't support a check off that takes food out of your childs mouth. It did for us back in '98. Hate it to this day. Will support R-CALF and any other group that does not support the NCBA. Don't belong to the NCBA even though they say I do because I am FORCED to pay that check off.
Had the nerve to tell me that I could not enter a cook off because I am a cattle producer, then had a greater nerve to ask me to send in MY recipes for them to use. They can kiss my a**.
This is real touchy for me and I am getting mad again, so I will leave it here.

ga. prime":25agy2q2 said:
Oldtimer":25agy2q2 said:
ga. prime":25agy2q2 said:
Places I buy beef from must only use US beef. I've never seen any country of origin label on any beef I've ever bought.

That is the reason we need M-COOL to outlaw that.....
Well, don't you have to have NAIS before you can have M-COOL?

Senators Back COOL

KTIC 840 Rural Radio - Nebraska

September 27, 2007

30 members of the U.S. Senate have signed a letter sent to the chairman of the Senate Agriculture Committee urging him to include compromise language on Country of Origin Labeling in the farm bill. According to Iowa Senator Chuck Grassley, - it’s time for congressional intervention to ensure the long-awaited implementation of mandatory COOL. Grassley feels - the consensus represents a reasonable compromise and finally clears the way to timely and reasonable implementation.

The compromise language establishes three labeling options for meat. It would also allow ground meat to be labeled with a narrative list of counties, but doesn’t require percentages. Finally, it would provide verification of origin through existing documentation, like animal health papers, import customs documents, normal business records, or producer affidavits.

kticam.com

U.S. Cattlemen Association launches campaign to amend beef checkoff

Midwest Messenger

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 4:24 PM CDT

The United States Cattlemen's Association (USCA) has launched a nationwide initiative to seek changes to the mandatory beef checkoff program that would permit a portion of checkoff funds for domestic beef promotion.

Leo McDonnell, USCA director emeritus from Columbus, Mont., told those attending a meeting Sept. 25 in Lewistown, Mont.,that the time is right for U.S. producers to ask Congress for modifications to the Beef Act that will permit development of national and international marketing programs supporting domestic beef actually derived from cattle born, raised and processed in the U.S.

"Never before have producers had so much opportunity on Capitol Hill," noted McDonnell. "There are many positive things happening. We are on the cusp of seeing mandatory country of origin labeling implemented. It only makes sense for U.S. producers to direct their checkoff dollars towards supporting their domestically born and raised product. It is important that we let Congress know the changes we are seeking and this initiative is the method to accomplish that."

USCA's proposal would earmark a portion of checkoff funds collected from U.S. cattle producers for use in promoting products from cattle specifically born and raised in the U.S.

The Beef Checkoff was established in 1986 and has had little significant modification since then.

As written, the Beef Promotion Act does not currently allow checkoff funds to distinguish U.S. born and raised beef from imported product. Only beef in a generic sense can be promoted, regardless of what country the cattle originate in.

Jim Hanna, USCA director and checkoff committee chairman from Nebraska, said the initiative seeks changes to the law that producers overwhelmingly support.

"We have bulletproof survey results that show over 92 percent of cattlemen nationwide support this concept. We want to back those results up with boxes of letters with producer signatures that we can show to Congress when we press for changes in the Beef Act," Hanna said. "We have a number of other important changes that need to be made to the program, but the born and raised concept is the most critical at this time."

Hanna said the proposal should not be interpreted as an attack on the checkoff.

"In fact, it's far from it," he said. "USCA has policy that clearly shows our support for the program. Our goal is to simply make the checkoff more responsive to those who pay the dollar per head fee.

"Participating is easy. All we're asking is that producers across the nation sign on to a letter addressed to Congress seeking this simple change in the Beef Act."

For information about how to sign on or how to help circulate a letter, contact USCA at [email protected] or call Jim Hanna at 308-748-2233.

midwestmessenger.com

auctionboy":1dciqd9c said:
Does anyone have a itemized list of what all this money went toward? I want something to complain about and most people could probably ban together against how this large sum of money is being spent.

http://www.beefboard.org/NEWSOperatingC ... 32396.aspx

auctionboy-- Heres the latest projects the CBB approved for use of checkoff dollars....

This has all been very informative. Very complex issue. Still a lot of holes (and always will be) in my understanding of this whole thing. I think we can learn a lot from each other here if nobody goes off the deep end.

Is Canada not the only country that live cattle(feeders) are imported from?

Oldtimer":3ooi313t said:
auctionboy":3ooi313t said:
Does anyone have a itemized list of what all this money went toward? I want something to complain about and most people could probably ban together against how this large sum of money is being spent.

http://www.beefboard.org/NEWSOperatingC ... 32396.aspx

auctionboy-- Heres the latest projects the CBB approved for use of checkoff dollars....
]
Very interesting, I am sure everyone would have there own idea on spending $25 million in advertising.

ga. prime":16z2422m said:
This has all been very informative. Very complex issue. Still a lot of holes (and always will be) in my understanding of this whole thing. I think we can learn a lot from each other here if nobody goes off the deep end.

There are also a significant number of feeder calves from Mexico, at times. Canada and Mexico are the main sources of live imports.

So, are those calves American? Imported or some blend? Most importantly, is there a market discount for mixed origin beef and is there a premium for domestic beef? I'm not sure the consumer cares enough to pay a premium for 100% US beef. I do think the consumer will pay more for "process verification" such as CAB or Lilly's Lean. That might include 100% US origin or it might not.
I don't see, from a practicable view, how there can be m-cool without ID from birth.

john250":3n43i9zz said:
ga. prime":3n43i9zz said:

There are also a significant number of feeder calves from Mexico, at times. Canada and Mexico are the main sources of live imports.

So, are those calves American? Imported or some blend? Most importantly, is there a market discount for mixed origin beef and is there a premium for domestic beef? I'm not sure the consumer cares enough to pay a premium for 100% US beef. I do think the consumer will pay more for "process verification" such as CAB or Lilly's Lean. That might include 100% US origin or it might not.
I don't see, from a practicable view, how there can be m-cool without ID from birth.

The measure creates three categories of labeling: one that indicates product was born, raised and slaughtered in the United States; (USA BEEF- pure and simple) one that indicates product was not exclusively born, raised and slaughtered in the U.S.; (cattle imported from Mexico- or Canada- or US cattle that were fed in Canada- or Canadian or Mexican cattle fed or slaughtered in the US) and one that includes products entirely derived from foreign countries. -(beef from cattle totally raised in a foreign county that was slaughtered in that country and then imported)... Ground meat product can be labeled with a list of countries where product may have originated. Ground beef from cattle exclusively born, raised, and slaughtered in US may be labeled product of USA...
The law is set to take effect in September of 2008.

In other words telling the US consumer the TRUTH- and leaving the decision up to them :roll: :)

Whether the foreign product is discounted or premiumed is up to the consumer-- Polls show that by huge majoritys consumers trust the quality and safety of US food products over those from the rest of the world...Following the US- consumers feel safest with products from Canada- Australia- and New Zealand next with those same consumers fearing products from China, Mexico, South America and Asia most......

Anything entering the country or leaving the country and re-entering has to be marked and labeled...Any cattle leaving the US to feed in Canada must be lableled under the Canadian ID system-be hot iron branded with a C^N- and have documentation and manifests showing where they have been...This must stay with them thru sale to the consumer for inspection by authorities...

MikeC":3irlrz6x said:
The main problem I have with the checkoff is that they refuse to promote USA raised beef over the many imports.

Another thing is all the "Beef" ads in all the farm/ranch magazines.

Why spend so much money to preach to the choir?

This is something that I've noticed for a while. Yesterday at the auction [Cattle auction] You have all theses pamphlets, signs etc promoting the beef checkoff.

How stupid are we. :eek: The beef check off in this case is promoting WHAT :?:

Ummmmm, the beef check off :( YOU THINK :?:

And in livestock, farm, cattle magazines, you see all these ads?

There are people with very good high paying jobs at stake here, great benefits, retirement, 401K's that cattle producers can't dream of.

1'st thing the check off needs to do is convince the producer.

So as to keep the money flowing.

1st thing is that it needs to be identified and TRUTHFULLY labeled- then after that we can and should promote it so we can FAIRLY compete in the global trade....

mnmtranching":1g8dr2tb said:
MikeC":1g8dr2tb said:
The main problem I have with the checkoff is that they refuse to promote USA raised beef over the many imports.

Another thing is all the "Beef" ads in all the farm/ranch magazines.

Why spend so much money to preach to the choir?

This is something that I've noticed for a while. Yesterday at the auction [Cattle auction] You have all theses pamphlets, signs etc promoting the beef checkoff.

How stupid are we. :eek: The beef check off in this case is promoting WHAT :?:

Ummmmm, the beef check off :( YOU THINK :?:

And in livestock, farm, cattle magazines, you see all these ads?

There are people with very good high paying jobs at stake here, great benefits, retirement, 401K's that cattle producers can't dream of.

So as to keep the money flowing.

You got it! Thumbs up! :D

Why do you think all these beef magazines are free to beef producers? I want highly qualified and compensated people lobbying congress, running ad campaigns, and travelling to foreign lands to promote US beef.