Beef check-of-dollars

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Why are we still giving our dollars to the meat packing industry to advertise there products?Why are we so foolish.<p>Best Regards<br>Benjamin
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

(User Above)":2mee4bh1 said:
: Why are we still giving our dollars to the meat packing industry to advertise there products?Why are we so foolish.<p>: Best Regards<br>: Benjamin <p>Benjamin,<p>I think it is time for you to share your vast wisdom of the meat packing industry and how and to whom we will market all of the fed cattle and cull cattle in to.<br>Also, touch base with why the beef check off is such a bad deal. <br>You have put these "teasers" on the board, now enlighten us with your great insight and knowledge, in other words "PUT UP OR SHUT UP"<p>thank you
<br>

(User Above)":23v8lp0s said:
: : Why are we still giving our dollars to the meat packing industry to advertise there products?Why are we so foolish.<p>: : Best Regards<br>: : Benjamin <p>: Benjamin,<p>: I think it is time for you to share your vast wisdom of the meat packing industry and how and to whom we will market all of the fed cattle and cull cattle in to.<br>: Also, touch base with why the beef check off is such a bad deal. <br>: You have put these "teasers" on the board, now enlighten us with your great insight and knowledge, in other words "PUT UP OR SHUT UP"<p>: thank you<p>Your Welcome...<br>Forty five years ago I was in Chicago with our first load of fats.Those steers sold on the open market for $37.50 pre hundred wt.,but more importantly there was 29 fat cattle buyers on the market that day to bid on those cattle.In those days packers owned very few cattle and the feedlots were all farmer owned.Now,we have three packers that control the market not only in the United States but in the world.IBP/Cargill and ConAgra not only control the meat market,but the grain market as well,Cargill is the largest grain company in the world.Continental Grain is the largest cattle feeder in the United States.They not only own there own feedlots they feed cattle <br>in commercial lots.Continental Grain is owned by Cargill.Over the past three years the best weekly cattle prices have come on Thursday,thats when they don't have enough of ther own,or contracted cattle to fill out there kill for the rest of the week.IBP bought out Tama Beef (a cow plant)a few years ago,last year they closed that plant.The reason they gave for that plant closing was,not enough cows in that area.The real reason why was there was not enough cows for the price they wanted to pay,put on a $2.00 per hunderd wt. and you will have cows.<p>I'm not against meat packers but I'm not for control and at this time thats what they have.<p>The Beef checkoff dollars are wasted.The only thing they do today is provide a few good paying jobs to a very few people.Do you think that in the timber industry money is withheld from each log,to advertise for the sawmill? I don't think so. <p>Best Regards<br>Benjamin
<br>

[email protected]

Benjamin, do you think any of the check-off money went the the development of pre-cooked and ready-to-eat beef products that are in the supermarkets today? <p>As for the timber industry, I recall an advertising campaign a few years ago by Georgia-Pacific, I believe, for lumber and house building material. Don't big lumber companies like that own their sawmills and lease the timber land? Of course, I may be wrong, since I have been known to be clueless.
<br>

(User Above)":15la15us said:
: Benjamin, do you think any of the check-off money went the the development of pre-cooked and ready-to-eat beef products that are in the supermarkets today? <p>: As for the timber industry, I recall an advertising campaign a few years ago by Georgia-Pacific, I believe, for lumber and house building material. Don't big lumber companies like that own their sawmills and lease the timber land? Of course, I may be wrong, since I have been known to be clueless.<p>Thats my point exactly.Why do we advertise and not them,from pre-cooked and caned to retail cuts.<p>Regards<br>Benjamin
<br>

[email protected]

They do advertise.<p>Benjamin, do you think any of the check-off money went the the development of pre-cooked and ready-to-eat beef products that are in the supermarkets today?
<br>

What are the benefits from check-off money for the producer?<br>What are the benefits for the packer and meat merchandiser?
<br>

[email protected]

What are the benefits for the beef industry, which includes all three of those groups?<p>What are the benefits for the beef consumers, which in the end will determine the success or failure of the beef industry?<br>
<br>

(User Above)":dole9hd4 said:
: What are the benefits for the beef industry, which includes all three of those groups?<p>Do all three groups benefit equally?<p>: What are the benefits for the beef consumers, which in the end will determine the success or failure of the beef industry?<p>Are we satisfying consumers by offering them a product with more fat?<p>In 1995 the price for cattle dropped 40%-60%. Over that same time period, the price of beef at the store dropped 2%-3%. The cost of processing, fabricating, distributing, and merchandising doesn't change with the price of cattle. Somebody made a lot of money and it wasn't us. The point Benjamin and myself are trying to make, is that we need to be selling our product ( and meat is our product ) were the market changes 2-3%, instead of where the market changes 40-60%.<p>To answer your question; yes, the check off money is doing good things, but not directly for producers.
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":1flkq1w0 said:
: : What are the benefits for the beef industry, which includes all three of those groups?<p>: Do all three groups benefit equally?<p>: : What are the benefits for the beef consumers, which in the end will determine the success or failure of the beef industry?<p>: Are we satisfying consumers by offering them a product with more fat?<p>: In 1995 the price for cattle dropped 40%-60%. Over that same time period, the price of beef at the store dropped 2%-3%. The cost of processing, fabricating, distributing, and merchandising doesn't change with the price of cattle. Somebody made a lot of money and it wasn't us. The point Benjamin and myself are trying to make, is that we need to be selling our product ( and meat is our product ) were the market changes 2-3%, instead of where the market changes 40-60%.<p>: To answer your question; yes, the check off money is doing good things, but not directly for producers.<br>I believe the Check Off is helping consumers make better and more informed decisions in using beef! This gives them both a tasty meal and healthy meal for their families. If it taste's good and they feel it healthy or good for them they will purchase AGAIN! That is healthy and GOOD for producers. Too long have we just set by and let so call food experts tell us that BEEF is not good for us! We also have the animal rights groups that think we should serve animals instead of animals serving us! The Check Off has made a positive impact in both of these areas.<p>My wife will tell you I'm not perfect but that the good out weighs the bad! The Check Off may not be perfect, but its all we have until someone determines something better! I hope we keep it until the detractors or supporters give us a plan that appears to be better! <p>Phil in MS<br>
<br>

[email protected]

You should really think about what you say before you open your mouth. The packers are not the reason for checkoff dollars. The reason for check off dollars is beef promotion, beef education, beef marketing, and other beef related concerns. Try looking at the beef demand and the strength it has gained in the past couple of years. That was due partially to "checkoff" dollars. It is ignorance and closed minded people like your self that hold the beef industry in the past. Open your eyes and mind...learn a little about the beef business. By the way...how many head of cattle do you sell annually? Even if you sold 1,000 head.....that is only $1,000 per year towards having an organization promoting your product. Usually people like you only sell a few head annually anyways. So shut up or get out of the business. <p>
<br>

(User Above)":2vbc3p5w said:
: Why are we still giving our dollars to the meat packing industry to advertise there products?Why are we so foolish.<p>: Best Regards<br>: Benjamin <p><p>Hello JP,<p>It's not that I mind the $1.00 per head cost,It's how and who spends it.You are missing my point.<p>JP,not that it makes any difference but I believe that one year,the firm that I was a partner in bought 310 thousand head of steers for Monfort.<p>Regards<br>Benjamin
<br>

[email protected]

Are you a member of your state beef checkoff board? They are the folks handling half the money paid in your state. If you're not happy with the way it's being spent, get elected to that board. <p> : : Why are we still giving our dollars to the meat packing industry to advertise there products?Why are we so foolish.<p>: : Best Regards<br>: : Benjamin <p><br>: Hello JP,<p>: It's not that I mind the $1.00 per head cost,It's how and who spends it.You are missing my point.<p>: JP,not that it makes any difference but I believe that one year,the firm that I was a partner in bought 310 thousand head of steers for Monfort.<p>: Regards<br>: Benjamin <p>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":2w7qq3nm said:
: You should really think about what you say before you open your mouth. The packers are not the reason for checkoff dollars. The reason for check off dollars is beef promotion, beef education, beef marketing, and other beef related concerns. Try looking at the beef demand and the strength it has gained in the past couple of years. That was due partially to "checkoff" dollars. It is ignorance and closed minded people like your self that hold the beef industry in the past. Open your eyes and mind...learn a little about the beef business. By the way...how many head of cattle do you sell annually? Even if you sold 1,000 head.....that is only $1,000 per year towards having an organization promoting your product. Usually people like you only sell a few head annually anyways. So shut up or get out of the business. <p><br>JP,do you really believe that the beef-checkoff-dollars,are responsible for the increase in market share that beef has gained in the past two years?I don't,I believe it's the fact that the new diet trend published by so many,that protein is better for you than carbohydrates.Remember, when most of the doctors said pasta was good for you and beef was not,now it's the other way around,look at your grocery store shelves all those great pasta dishes,are gone.<p>Best Regards<br>Benjamin C Roberts
<br>

[email protected]

You should follow your own advise and think. It is the ignorant and closed-minded that blindly follow and tell anyone that speaks out against the status quo to shut up or get out.
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":3kg6eca4 said:
: : You should really think about what you say before you open your mouth. The packers are not the reason for checkoff dollars. The reason for check off dollars is beef promotion, beef education, beef marketing, and other beef related concerns. Try looking at the beef demand and the strength it has gained in the past couple of years. That was due partially to "checkoff" dollars. It is ignorance and closed minded people like your self that hold the beef industry in the past. Open your eyes and mind...learn a little about the beef business. By the way...how many head of cattle do you sell annually? Even if you sold 1,000 head.....that is only $1,000 per year towards having an organization promoting your product. Usually people like you only sell a few head annually anyways. So shut up or get out of the business. <p>: <br>: JP,do you really believe that the beef-checkoff-dollars,are responsible for the increase in market share that beef has gained in the past two years?I don't,I believe it's the fact that the new diet trend published by so many,that protein is better for you than carbohydrates.Remember, when most of the doctors said pasta was good for you and beef was not,now it's the other way around,look at your grocery store shelves all those great pasta dishes,are gone.<p>: Best Regards<br>: Benjamin C Roberts<p>Mr. Roberts<p>Why do you think the medical community has changed<br>its mind about BEEF after knocking it for years and years. I believe that the educational programs that the Check Off has promoted and paid<br>for has changed alot of minds to allow people to <br>feel good about eating BEEF again.<p>Is it perfect? No and neither am I! In my eyes its the best thing that we have done to help ourselves and until I see something better or feel that the Check Off program has lost 100% of it effectivenes, I'll vote to keep the Check Off!<p>I appreciate reading and talking with others about this subject!<p>Phil in MS.
<br>

[email protected]

Well, why not legislate for the packers to pay $1.00 for each head of beef they slaughter?<br>: What are the benefits for the beef industry, which includes all three of those groups?<p>: What are the benefits for the beef consumers, which in the end will determine the success or failure of the beef industry?<p>
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts