Beef Cattle Vital Signs

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
I need help! :)

I am trying to find an accurate source of Vital Signs for Beef Cattle. I have consulted the Merck Vet Manual as well as Storey's Guide to Raising Beef Cattle. The Merck manual only has info on Dairy Cattle. Both Storey's and the Merck source are dissimilar in the information.

Makes me wonder. A web search hasn't turned up a source.

I need to know:

Normal Temperature, Respiration Rate, and Pulse Rate for both adults as well as calves.

Can anyone please direct me to a reliable source of information?

Thanks!
Bill

Bill...found this article....I would think respiration and pulse would depend a lot on state of excitement etc.

The normal core body temperature of a healthy, resting cow is stated on average to be 101.5 degrees Fahrenheit (38.6 degrees Celsius). Though the body temperature measured on an individual cow can vary, a healthy cow can maintain a fairly consistent body temperature that is around the mark of 101.5 °F (38.6 °C).

The normal range of a cow body temperature varies due to many factors. The cow's environment has a huge effect on its body temperature. The time of day and how active the cow is also affects cow's core temperature. Body temperature also varies at different parts of the cow's body. The extremities are obviously cooler than the organs. For example the temperature of the inner organs, including the brain, varies by 1.8 to 3.6 °F (1 to 2 °C), and there may be gradients of a few degrees within and between organs. Skin temperatures are usually 18 to 36 °F (10 to 20 °C) below the core temperature, depending on the cow's hide. Another factor is time of day. A cow's body temperature is lower in the morning, due to the rest the body received and higher at night after a day of muscular activity. According to the studies of M.A. Lammoglia and R.A Bellows, Hormone interactions before and after calving also affect the body temperature.

The average body temperature of a cow is most likely 101.5 ° F (38.6 °C). A cow's body temperature must be maintained within narrow limits in order to sustain its physiological processes. According to the research, the range is found to be 100 to 104 °F (37.8 °C to 40.0 °C).

Pei Jun Chen -- 1998

According to The Stockman's Handbook ; temperature101.5, normal pulse rate 60 to 70 beats per min., respirations 10 to 30 per min. This is for adult beef cattle.

Katherine

Every cow is different, these are ranges, nothing can be exact for every cow/calf. Some may be in the same ranges here, or some could be higher or lower. Just depends.

CowGirl005":jk566e69 said:
Every cow is different, these are ranges, nothing can be exact for every cow/calf. Some may be in the same ranges here, or some could be higher or lower. Just depends.

That's exactly what my first post showed.. ;-)

talldog":20ve06sj said:
CowGirl005":20ve06sj said:
Normal Resting Temp 101.5, Resting Pulse/heart rate 40-70 beats per minute, resting respiration rate 10-30 beats per minute.
Check out this helpful webpage
http://www.iowabeefcenter.org/pdfs/bch/03000.pdf
Don't get much clearer than That !!!!!!! :tiphat:

Yep...got almost a 200% range on Pulse and 300% range on Respiration. :lol2:

There's an awful lot of cattle out there panting in this heat. Right now their "normal" is way up there.

backhoeboogie":2i1i6gi1 said:
There's an awful lot of cattle out there panting in this heat. Right now their "normal" is way up there.

You got that right....and go out there and try to pen the things and everything goes thru the roof.

TexasBred":ocf202vp said:
backhoeboogie":ocf202vp said:

You got that right....and go out there and try to pen the things and everything goes thru the roof.

Bill, we treat when their temp is > or equal to 105.0 F. You would have to use your judgement as to whether the animal is temping high due to heat stress or illness. Usually you'll identify sick animals at rest in their pen, pull them out and temp/treat them. We let everything settle for a few hours before running them through the chute. Anything that did not temp high we always gave LA 200 to "just in case". I wish you luck!

Latest posts